Playoffs/Offseason Thread

Zithers2

15 hours ago, Dingo18287 said:

Panthers signed Dontari Poe, DT formally of the Chiefs and Falcons to a 3 year deal, close to $30 million. Not only is that cheaper than what the Bills paid for Star, you can almost say he's the better player to Star.

Better, younger, cheaper.

11 hours ago, atown703 said:

heavily rumored we are trying to sign former Vikings WR Jarius Wright to a 2 or 3 year deal. Great character guy that we can use in the slot

Yeah I like this. Our receivers are definitely better then last year. Im so so on Torrey Smith, but going off the contracts been given out, hes cheap and Worley was poor.

Trading for Torrey and signing Jarius Wright makes me think we may not draft a WR. I'm fine with this. We could draft a top safety prospect and find another safety in the later rounds. Double dipping, always a solid strategy especially when Adams is in his mid 30s.

We'll still probably draft a WR.

Devin Funchess
Curtis Samuel
Torrey Smith
Jarius Wright
Draft Pick

Then maybe Damiere Byrd...

Anyway, we signed S Da'Norris Searcy (Titans), CB Ross Cockrell, (Giants) and OG Jeremiah Sirles (Vikings). Cockrell would be in line to start. Sirles and Moton will fight for LG spot. Searcy is probably just safety depth...

As far as the draft goes, we also met with RB Nick Chubb, S Justin Reid, and RB Rashaad Penny.

The only way I'm taking a wide receiver at our pick, if I'm Hurney, is if its Calvin Ridley.  Ridley and Funchess would complement each other well.

Otherwise, we need to be looking at the offensive line or secondary in the first round.  This is R. Kalil's last year, Williams is on the last year of his contract, hole at LG, and M. Kalil sucks.  Our offensive line could be a disaster a year from now if we don't take care of it.  At the very least, we need to focus on OL depth.

I'd love a safety.  I know this team traditionally hasn't valued that position, but it would be a tremendous boost to our defense to have someone with range back there.  Bradberry and Cockrell are solid, but they don't have a lot of speed.  It would have to help someone be able to help them out over top.  

If I were ranking needs, considering short-term and long-term:

1a. Offensive line

1b. Safety

2. Defensive end

3. Wide receiver

4. Cornerback

5. Back-up QB

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2018 at 1:35 PM, iknowcool said:

The only way I'm taking a wide receiver at our pick, if I'm Hurney, is if its Calvin Ridley.  Ridley and Funchess would complement each other well.

Otherwise, we need to be looking at the offensive line or secondary in the first round.  This is R. Kalil's last year, Williams is on the last year of his contract, hole at LG, and M. Kalil sucks.  Our offensive line could be a disaster a year from now if we don't take care of it.  At the very least, we need to focus on OL depth.

I'd love a safety.  I know this team traditionally hasn't valued that position, but it would be a tremendous boost to our defense to have someone with range back there.  Bradberry and Cockrell are solid, but they don't have a lot of speed.  It would have to help someone be able to help them out over top.  

If I were ranking needs, considering short-term and long-term:

1a. Offensive line

1b. Safety

2. Defensive end

3. Wide receiver

4. Cornerback

5. Back-up QB

100% agree about the o-line. Drafting Moton last year was a good move, but we're still heavily underinvested across the entire line. I think lack of depth on the line was actually a huge contributing factor to our 6-10 season two years ago.

As receivers go, I'd like to think Curtis Samuel, or even Byrd could come back and help us with the speed aspect (which I feel has dogged this team forever), and, looking at the draft class, there's not a whole lot that would make me excited at 24, save a few receivers that have very little chance of falling to us.

• 4 weeks later...

DB Coach Curtis Fuller had to resign because of workplace misconduct. He was apparently being inappropriate around women. What the heck is wrong with this organization? From Jerry Richardson's creepy letters to the 1 female staff worker to this, it's completely ridiculous. I hope this has led to a lot of positive changes in the building.

49 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

DB Coach Curtis Fuller had to resign because of workplace misconduct. He was apparently being inappropriate around women. What the heck is wrong with this organization? From Jerry Richardson's creepy letters to the 1 female staff worker to this, it's completely ridiculous. I hope this has led to a lot of positive changes in the building.

Man, it’s almost like the NFL has fostered a culture that’s completely disrespectful towards women...

I'm somewhat frustrated with the offseason drama. Why a qualified and seasoned nfl coach would jeopardize his career by acting in such a foolish manner is simply beyond my understanding. It's not as if harassment suits are a new thing. Anyone with the level of professionalism to make it into an nfl club in any capacity should have the self-awareness to know what kind of cultural environment the nfl exists in right now, and especially not to act like we're in the 1960's with your co-workers. Ugh.

The entire situation from JR down to this, with any luck, shouldn't effect the on-the-field play, however, so there's one good thing.

Archived