Caldwell fired

diehardlionfan

Caldwell has been fired.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21931331/head-coach-jim-caldwell-detroit-lions-fired

I see Detroit’s problems being more player personnel based than coaching. 

Now it’s back on the coaching carousel and early rumours are Patricia being the lead candidate. I had hoped Quinn was going to create a Detroit identity but it seems more likely he’s trying to replicate NE. 

If successful that’s great however I was hoping for originality not replication which seldom seems to work.

If Quinn gets Patricia or Mcdanials. I think the team will have more identity in the offense or defense based on the coach, rather than a balanced look we had all 3 years under Caldwell. I believe the patriots have a winning culture so if Quinn is trying to instill that into the lions I can’t complain and I can’t complain for having higher expectations.

Im personally excited for the change and am curious what our next staff will look like. 

Del rio is on the market 

The Lions fired head coach Jim Caldwell on Monday morning and they have started putting together a list of candidates to replace him. Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com reports that the team has requested an interview with Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that they’ve done the same with Panthers defensive coordinator and assistant head coach Steve Wilks. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/01/lions-request-interviews-with-mike-vrabel-steve-wilks/

Tom Pelissero✔@TomPelissero

The #Lions have requested permission to interview Pat Shurmur for their head coach job, source said.

26 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Not overly happy with the firing. He was consistent. They’ve lacked talent lately and to go 9-7 I think with this talent on D is not bad at all 

1-6 against .500 teams is quite bad.

6 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

5-1 within the division this year is quite good based on our history.

Then you factor in that the bears are a bad team that we’re starting a rookie QB and the packers were missing their key player and it doesn’t look that good.

not only that but the qualifier of “based on our history” makes it worthless to me. A warm pile of poo is good based on our history.

8 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

Then you factor in that the bears are a bad team that we’re starting a rookie QB and the packers were missing their key player and it doesn’t look that good.

not only that but the qualifier of “based on our history” makes it worthless to me. A warm pile of poo is good based on our history.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

The Lions have a history of hiring head coaches, and firing them before they have the chance to implement their system and filling out the roster with talent. Which brings in a new HC to implement a new system. It's a vicious cycle the Lions don't seem willing to break.

5-1 in the division is good for anyone. The Patriots were 5-1 in their division this year. 

3 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

The Lions have a history of hiring head coaches, and firing them before they have the chance to implement their system and filling out the roster with talent. Which brings in a new HC to implement a new system. It's a vicious cycle the Lions don't seem willing to break.

5-1 in the division is good for anyone. The Patriots were 5-1 in their division this year. 

The Patriots and Lions should never be in the same sentence. Completely different animals.marty

5-1 is great and they still missed the Playoffs because the Division is bad. No Rodgers in GB and the Bears are garbage. 4-25 vs teams with a winning record. Lost to a Bengals team that had nothing to play for to get eliminated. But he's a proven winner! Yeah he was handed two championship caliber teams with prime Manning in the garbage AFC South. The minute Manning went down he turned into Hue Jackson. 

The Lions have a poor history, so saying he's the best coach they've had isn't saying he's a good coach it's saying he's not historically bad like Marinelli or dreadful like Mornhinweg, inexperienced like Schwartz, or inconsistent like Fontes etc. We're past the dark days of being mired in the basement. Now we're mired in mediocrity. Caldwell is consistent, he beats the bad teams and loses to the good ones which makes him as mediocre as it gets. This team has a QB on the roster for the first time in a half a century and there are no Playoff wins to show for it. Caldwell is not the guy, hopefully Quinn can find the guy who is.

54 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Those who cannot make hard decisions shouldn’t expect greatness. Don’t get me wrong I think Caldwell was a decent coach and you’re absolutely right that his teams have done better than most, but that isn’t saying much considering our history. 

5-1 in the division is good but it’s not good enough considering we still missed the playoffs and wouldn’t have done anything in them anyway. If Rodgers had stayed healthy, I easily see 3-3 in the division. 

The decision can't be fully evaluated until his replacement is brought in.  If that player is a defensive-minded coach, and JBC stays, I think it's an outstanding decision.  I have no interest in interrupting the flow of this passing game.

Give me a legitimate running back and build a defense.

This is a risk. Caldwell isn't a great coach, but he is a pretty good one. I don't think that teams realize how difficult it is to "hit" on a coaching hire for a coordinator or college coach and actually get someone that is average, let alone a Top 10-12 coach. 

I guess that the front office is trying to send the message that just being "pretty good" isn't good enough anymore, which I get. It's just a risk. 

Archived