Caldwell fired

diehardlionfan

18 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

So far, the names that have been linked to the Lions Job are Teryl Austin (interviews on Tuesday), Matt Patricia, Mike Vrabel, Pat Shurmur and Steve Wilks.  My surprise candidate just for the sake of stirring the pot:  JON GRUDEN!!!!

And what makes you think he’s interested?

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

This is a risk. Caldwell isn't a great coach, but he is a pretty good one. I don't think that teams realize how difficult it is to "hit" on a coaching hire for a coordinator or college coach and actually get someone that is average, let alone a Top 10-12 coach. 

I guess that the front office is trying to send the message that just being "pretty good" isn't good enough anymore, which I get. It's just a risk. 

It’s not any more of a risk than holding on to mediocrity.

44 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

So far, the names that have been linked to the Lions Job are Teryl Austin (interviews on Tuesday), Matt Patricia, Mike Vrabel, Pat Shurmur and Steve Wilks.  My surprise candidate just for the sake of stirring the pot:  JON GRUDEN!!!!

Oakland already hired Gruden is the word 

9 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

The Lions have a history of hiring head coaches, and firing them before they have the chance to implement their system and filling out the roster with talent. Which brings in a new HC to implement a new system. It's a vicious cycle the Lions don't seem willing to break.

We all know this is true, but we also all know there's a pattern to it (and with all coaches who take over losing teams). 

A new NFL coach gets until the forward propulsion of being new and enthusiastic runs up against his competence level. Most coaches get around two years to show they're going to take the team somewhere. Limited success gains a limited amount of extra time, like with Caldwell. He got four years.

There are no teams in the league any more who have a roster filled with talent and no holes. Even the Patriots, or whoever else, go from year to year having their best units and players cover for the other ones, and figuring out how to win that way.

I'm fine with the Lions doing this in perpetuity - hiring new coaches and changing them every 2-3 years until they get the one who will win with them. When they do get that guy, we'll know in less than 4 years, I guarantee it.

I was listening to a podcast this morning discussing the Lions. They had looked into Caldwell's past and under all of the teams he coached, his teams consistently could not run the ball. This was all of the way back into college. The ability to have some resemblance of a running game likely would have netted another 1-3 wins. We'd probably be talking Lions playoff football instead of a coaching change.

I never thought of Del Rio but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in for an interview. My main concern with a new coach is a lack of experience. Someone above mentioned Schwartz's inexperience as one factor in the recent team history. It's not easy to find another Sean McVay and really, this is just the first year. He's done an exceptional job. However, it will be interesting to see how the Rams do with a target on their back next year.

9 hours ago, Superduperman said:

We all know this is true, but we also all know there's a pattern to it (and with all coaches who take over losing teams). 

A new NFL coach gets until the forward propulsion of being new and enthusiastic runs up against his competence level. Most coaches get around two years to show they're going to take the team somewhere. Limited success gains a limited amount of extra time, like with Caldwell. He got four years.

There are no teams in the league any more who have a roster filled with talent and no holes. Even the Patriots, or whoever else, go from year to year having their best units and players cover for the other ones, and figuring out how to win that way.

I'm fine with the Lions doing this in perpetuity - hiring new coaches and changing them every 2-3 years until they get the one who will win with them. When they do get that guy, we'll know in less than 4 years, I guarantee it.

This. 4 years is enough of a sample size to get a good scope on what you have. Given the issues this year and collapse, I’m ready to move on. With Rodgers out the lions should have won the division but couldn’t get it done when it mattered.

5 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

This. 4 years is enough of a sample size to get a good scope on what you have. Given the issues this year and collapse, I’m ready to move on. With Rodgers out the lions should have won the division but couldn’t get it done when it mattered.

With the way the Vikings have been playing, especially Keenum, it's probably not fair to say "should have" won the division. We should have been more of a factor. It should have been turned it into more of a race for the division instead of the foregone conclusion that Minnesota was winning it.

15 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I was listening to a podcast this morning discussing the Lions. They had looked into Caldwell's past and under all of the teams he coached, his teams consistently could not run the ball. This was all of the way back into college. The ability to have some resemblance of a running game likely would have netted another 1-3 wins. We'd probably be talking Lions playoff football instead of a coaching change.

I never thought of Del Rio but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in for an interview. My main concern with a new coach is a lack of experience. Someone above mentioned Schwartz's inexperience as one factor in the recent team history. It's not easy to find another Sean McVay and really, this is just the first year. He's done an exceptional job. However, it will be interesting to see how the Rams do with a target on their back next year.

I've been saying this about Caldwell for years...

On 1/1/2018 at 8:05 PM, diehardlionfan said:

Caldwell has been fired.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21931331/head-coach-jim-caldwell-detroit-lions-fired

I see Detroit’s problems being more player personnel based than coaching. 

Now it’s back on the coaching carousel and early rumours are Patricia being the lead candidate. I had hoped Quinn was going to create a Detroit identity but it seems more likely he’s trying to replicate NE. 

If successful that’s great however I was hoping for originality not replication which seldom seems to work.

I think it’s a bit of both. The team lacks talent but one of the reason is because they haven’t been able to develop the players that have been drafted which falls on coaching.

they’ve spent a lot of high picks on the trenches over that last few years and none have panned out. 

The team still doesn’t have an identity. It seems that they may be looking to attempt a duplication of NEs but none of BBs coaching tree has had success away from NE and I think a lot of that has to do the culture that exists there. You can’t just take a winning culture like that and expect to replicate it, especially overnight. It takes a bit of lightning to get the fire going and then commitment from the top down to keep fanning the flames.

What leads anyone to believe that ownership has this level of commitment?

1 hour ago, khaosoy said:

I think it’s a bit of both. The team lacks talent but one of the reason is because they haven’t been able to develop the players that have been drafted which falls on coaching.

they’ve spent a lot of high picks on the trenches over that last few years and none have panned out. 

The team still doesn’t have an identity. It seems that they may be looking to attempt a duplication of NEs but none of BBs coaching tree has had success away from NE and I think a lot of that has to do the culture that exists there. You can’t just take a winning culture like that and expect to replicate it, especially overnight. It takes a bit of lightning to get the fire going and then commitment from the top down to keep fanning the flames.

What leads anyone to believe that ownership has this level of commitment?

I see your point about coaching and don’t disagree with you in regards to the line.We have to remember Quinn spent big dollars to shore up the line with free agents. 

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I see your point about coaching and don’t disagree with you in regards to the line.We have to remember Quinn spent big dollars to shore up the line with free agents. 

Here is a summary of the line players that have been drafted top 3 rounds over the last few years:

1st rd: Riley Reiff - Gone

2013: 

1st rd: Ansah (possibly gone this off-season)

3rd rd: Larry Warford - Gone

2014:

3rd rd: Travis Swanson - Starter but probably on his way out

2015:

1st rd: Laken Tomlinson - Gone

2016:

1st rd: Taylor Decker - Starter but below average 

2nd: A'Shawn Robinson - Starter and average. A decent # 2.

3d: Graham Glasgow - Starter and will probably move to C full-time 

So, it could be that out of 8 linemen taken over the last 6 years in the first 3 rounds only the 3 that were chosen 2 years ago remain. 

Yes, Quinn did spend big money but I don't think that it shored up anything. Our run game continues to be the worst in the league and at some point, you have to stop blaming it on the rb talent, especially when you see 3rd string rbs on other teams having 100-yard games on occasion. 

Archived