Caldwell fired

diehardlionfan

Decker is below average?

Caldwell not challenging that Tate play against the Bengals was all I needed to see to want someone new in that position.  There is no more crucial a decision for a coach than when to challenge, and that play must be challenged.  I thought it was close, and converting may have won us that game.

Edit: there was also a game against the Vikings last year (if I remember correctly) where we were down by 10 with the ball in the red zone late in the game and needed a field goal.  Instead, he went for it on 4th down.  I thought that decision was inexcusable.

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Decker is below average?

Caldwell not challenging that Tate play against the Bengals was all I needed to see to want someone new in that position.  There is no more crucial a decision for a coach than when to challenge, and that play must be challenged.  I thought it was close, and converting may have won us that game.

Edit: there was also a game against the Vikings last year (if I remember correctly) where we were down by 10 with the ball in the red zone late in the game and needed a field goal.  Instead, he went for it on 4th down.  I thought that decision was inexcusable.

He did the same thing against Pitt this year, in a game where our d was playing lights out. We would have taken the lead at 15-12.. Instead he goes for it, we fail and Pitt scores a long touchdown on third down IIRC. 

Just so many examples like this over the years with him. Imo, we had a shot to beat Pitt, Atl, No, and Carolina. The common theme between all of these losses was the insistence to run the ball when we couldn't. I doubt that JBC wanted to really ever run the ball, I bet Caldwell forced the issue. And why? We have the best arm talent in the league behind center with mostly reliable weapons all over the field on offense.

It is not a coincidence that we were successful in no huddle situations the majority of the year, we are built for it. The run could have still been utilized, but via draws and delays by way of our successful passing offense. Yet Calwell wants to pound it.

6 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

He did the same thing against Pitt this year, in a game where our d was playing lights out. We would have taken the lead at 15-12.. Instead he goes for it, we fail and Pitt scores a long touchdown on third down IIRC. 

Just so many examples like this over the years with him. Imo, we had a shot to beat Pitt, Atl, No, and Carolina. The common theme between all of these losses was the insistence to run the ball when we couldn't. I doubt that JBC wanted to really ever run the ball, I bet Caldwell forced the issue. And why? We have the best arm talent in the league behind center with mostly reliable weapons all over the field on offense.

It is not a coincidence that we were successful in no huddle situations the majority of the year, we are built for it. The run could have still been utilized, but via draws and delays by way of our successful passing offense. Yet Calwell wants to pound it.

It’s hard to make that call on your last sentence. We have no way of knowing whether it was JBC or Caldwell who was truly pushing it. I put the blame on both of them because Caldwell has never really had a good run game and JBC has admitted he needs to work on that.

1 hour ago, theuntouchable said:

It’s hard to make that call on your last sentence. We have no way of knowing whether it was JBC or Caldwell who was truly pushing it. I put the blame on both of them because Caldwell has never really had a good run game and JBC has admitted he needs to work on that.

Quinn should take some blame as well. He did make an effort and brought in FA's to try and fix the OL. However, Abdullah is not a power back and we were in need of someone to fill that role. We had opportunities to grab guys like Kamara and Hunt in favour of AA. Caldwell has a history of not being able to run the ball, so it should absolutely fall on his shoulders. JBC gets his chance to improve on things.

1 hour ago, BarryTheBest said:

Agreed on the use of draws and delays mixed in with some other designed running plays. There were many times watching the games and it would be a run on 1st and 10 for no gain, 2nd and 10 for 1 yard and we'd be looking at 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 9. Every team in the league is going to pass the ball in that kind of situation. It was frustrating to watch. It was worse off watching us not be able to convert a 3rd and 1 because our RB's ran into a brick wall.

43 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Quinn should take some blame as well. He did make an effort and brought in FA's to try and fix the OL. However, Abdullah is not a power back and we were in need of someone to fill that role. We had opportunities to grab guys like Kamara and Hunt in favour of AA. Caldwell has a history of not being able to run the ball, so it should absolutely fall on his shoulders. JBC gets his chance to improve on things.

Agreed on the use of draws and delays mixed in with some other designed running plays. There were many times watching the games and it would be a run on 1st and 10 for no gain, 2nd and 10 for 1 yard and we'd be looking at 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 9. Every team in the league is going to pass the ball in that kind of situation. It was frustrating to watch. It was worse off watching us not be able to convert a 3rd and 1 because our RB's ran into a brick wall.

I don’t think it’s fair to throw Kamara and hunt on Quinn and say he dropped the ball. Nobody expected those guys to go off like they did and they also already had riddick and Abdullah who are similar types.  I would also say that before Abdullah went down last year he was looking like a guy who could get 10 to 15 carries a game and do well with it. 

2 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I don’t think it’s fair to throw Kamara and hunt on Quinn and say he dropped the ball. Nobody expected those guys to go off like they did and they also already had riddick and Abdullah who are similar types.  I would also say that before Abdullah went down last year he was looking like a guy who could get 10 to 15 carries a game and do well with it. 

Hunt isn't the same guy. It's not even those specific players. We all knew that the running game was an issue. A large number of us wanted to bring in another guy to compete with Abdullah as the lead back. Quinn opted for status quo, assuming some help on the line would make a difference. I understand the logic but I also didn't have faith in Abdullah in the first place. There is absolutely some egg on Quinn's face when we traded down in the 3rd and failed to land the leagues leading rusher this year. Especially when we didn't have a player top 100 yards all season. We are also one of two teams to not even have a 100 yard team rushing game.

Quin 

40 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Quinn could have done more but didn't..i feel like this might be a trend with him but I hope not. Bringing in an over the hill guard..really..thats gonna fix this.. Quinn deserves a ton of blame imo

Even when they knew half way in the season our run game was trash you still could have gotten ajayi or Peterson but nothing... in the driver seat for our division.. nothing 

1 minute ago, Rockcity2 said:

Quin 

Quinn could have done more but didn't..i feel like this might be a trend with him but I hope not. Bringing in an over the hill guard..really..thats gonna fix this.. Quinn deserves a ton of blame imo

Even when they knew half way in the season our run game was trash you still could have gotten ajayi or Peterson but nothing... in the driver seat for our division.. nothing 

He did bring in two of the top FA's to try and help fix the OL. We weren't expecting Decker to be hurt and certainly for not as long as he was. The Robinson trade did help for a while.

I just felt that we needed more help at RB than a 3rd WR, despite both being needs. A consistent run game would take pressure off of Stafford and helped us to control the clock more. Golloday was a great pick from Quinn. However, I feel that Kareem Hunt would have had a bigger impact on the whole offense and generated 1-2 more wins.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Hunt isn't the same guy. It's not even those specific players. We all knew that the running game was an issue. A large number of us wanted to bring in another guy to compete with Abdullah as the lead back. Quinn opted for status quo, assuming some help on the line would make a difference. I understand the logic but I also didn't have faith in Abdullah in the first place. There is absolutely some egg on Quinn's face when we traded down in the 3rd and failed to land the leagues leading rusher this year. Especially when we didn't have a player top 100 yards all season. We are also one of two teams to not even have a 100 yard team rushing game.

I’m good with saying more could have been done with the run game overall, I was just saying that I don’t think you can throw those guys on him and say he dropped the ball by not drafting those two guys. 

59 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I’m good with saying more could have been done with the run game overall, I was just saying that I don’t think you can throw those guys on him and say he dropped the ball by not drafting those two guys. 

I was more upset about missing out on Hunt than Kamara. When the guy is the second rusher on his own team, it would be a factor in the evaluation. I wasn't expecting Hunt to lead the league in rushing but I did think he could be a solid piece to improving our overall run game. I figured he would get buried on the depth chart when he got drafted by KC.

14 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Here's a press conference with Wilks. Dude seems like a head coach

It actually wouldn't surprise me if he was to get the job. Agreed, he definitely sounds the part. Panthers have been known for their D for a while. For a team that is looking to win now, Patricia and Vrabel are both pretty green. I believe that Wilks is the Assistant HC for the Panthers.

Tough call on Caldwell, not at all sure, we have the talent to be more than a .500 team, but maybe a shakeup could be beneficial, just have to wait and see, however, sometimes it goes the other way as the grass is not always greener on the other side of the mountain.

The only thing I know for sure, is that we need a solid starting RB who can carry a load!!!

Archived