Who Should I Keep?: Post Your Keeper Questions here.

EaglesPeteC

On 6/2/2018 at 1:00 AM, The LBC said:

14-team, 1/2-pt PPR league 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex

It's auction format where keeping any player past the 1st year adds $5 to the original auction/FAAB price paid.  Last season's keepers were David Johnson (at $10 - would be $15 this year) and Michael Thomas ($1 will be $6 this year).  Thing is, I also rolled the dice on a lower price on Zeke during the auction last year due to the looming threat of his suspension and got him at half AAV ($35 which would be what it would cost to keep him this year).

Kamara and Hunt are definitely going to be keepers because they were picked up inexpensively by their owner (unless he decides he absolutely has to hold onto Nuk Hopkins for a 4th year).

So the question is, do I push all-in and roll with a Zeke/DJ combo at RB (where I'd be relinquishing Zeke the following year, but having that as my regular tandem would give a lot of flexibility to take stabs at cheap guys who could breakout and turn into multi-year keeper candidates) or do I just maintain status quo with DJ and the cheap WR1 even though for fantasy purposes he's inconsistent as a PPR WR1 (he either has huge week or 3 point weeks).

To the converse, Top 5 fantasy RB's traditionally tend to pop up on Top 10 offenses in the league and neither the Cowboys or the Cardinals figure to be that (though DJ and Zeke are 3-down backs so the 1/2 pt PPR format should salvage that consistency).

Pro's?  Con's?  What to people think?

Personally, I think you have to go with David Johnson and Michael Thomas.  I have a feeling that Zeke is going to have a rough start to the year.  With so much changeover on that offense I think defenses are going to make Dak beat them at first.  I also think that the loss of Jason Witten is going to have a bigger impact on Zeke than anything.  It's hard to overstate how valuable it is to have a TE with his kind of receiving ability.  Linebackers cannot be as aggressive when a TE like Witten will burn them on the play action.  Without that I see linebackers being more aggressive coming downhill which will bottle Zeke up some.

I also think that extra money available is a significant factor.  I think that with the suspension you could probably get Mark Ingram in the $30 area.  If you do that you are getting Ingram and Thomas for the price of Zeke.  That is more than worth it in my opinion.  

5 minutes ago, winitall said:

Personally, I think you have to go with David Johnson and Michael Thomas.  I have a feeling that Zeke is going to have a rough start to the year.  With so much changeover on that offense I think defenses are going to make Dak beat them at first.  I also think that the loss of Jason Witten is going to have a bigger impact on Zeke than anything.  It's hard to overstate how valuable it is to have a TE with his kind of receiving ability.  Linebackers cannot be as aggressive when a TE like Witten will burn them on the play action.  Without that I see linebackers being more aggressive coming downhill which will bottle Zeke up some.

I also think that extra money available is a significant factor.  I think that with the suspension you could probably get Mark Ingram in the $30 area.  If you do that you are getting Ingram and Thomas for the price of Zeke.  That is more than worth it in my opinion.  

Appreciate the feedback.  I genuinely want no part of Ingram - unless it's legitimately at pennies on the dollar, because most of the leagues I play in have smaller bench sizes than normal, and I'm not about burning a bench spot for 5+ weeks (Saints have a really early bye, so I don't think Ingram actually is eligible to return until Week 6) unless I'm getting massively high upside at a dirt cheap price.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:00 AM, The LBC said:

14-team, 1/2-pt PPR league 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex

It's auction format where keeping any player past the 1st year adds $5 to the original auction/FAAB price paid.  Last season's keepers were David Johnson (at $10 - would be $15 this year) and Michael Thomas ($1 will be $6 this year).  Thing is, I also rolled the dice on a lower price on Zeke during the auction last year due to the looming threat of his suspension and got him at half AAV ($35 which would be what it would cost to keep him this year).

Kamara and Hunt are definitely going to be keepers because they were picked up inexpensively by their owner (unless he decides he absolutely has to hold onto Nuk Hopkins for a 4th year).

So the question is, do I push all-in and roll with a Zeke/DJ combo at RB (where I'd be relinquishing Zeke the following year, but having that as my regular tandem would give a lot of flexibility to take stabs at cheap guys who could breakout and turn into multi-year keeper candidates) or do I just maintain status quo with DJ and the cheap WR1 even though for fantasy purposes he's inconsistent as a PPR WR1 (he either has huge week or 3 point weeks).

To the converse, Top 5 fantasy RB's traditionally tend to pop up on Top 10 offenses in the league and neither the Cowboys or the Cardinals figure to be that (though DJ and Zeke are 3-down backs so the 1/2 pt PPR format should salvage that consistency).

Pro's?  Con's?  What to people think?

I think you easily take Thomas and Johnson as keepers.  The way I look at it is what would it cost for the two.  If you keep Zeke, it will likely cost you in the mid 40s to get Thomas back, then you would have 80ish tied up in the two.  I would assume you can get Zeke for high 50's, which would put you in the 65ish range for the two if you go that route.  Not to mention the long term keeper value of Thomas and Johnson compared to Zeke. 

I think having two studs that cheap allows you to buy 2 more studs and then fill in with high potential guys as opposed to the other route in which you may only be able to add 1 more stud.

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think you easily take Thomas and Johnson as keepers.  The way I look at it is what would it cost for the two.  If you keep Zeke, it will likely cost you in the mid 40s to get Thomas back, then you would have 80ish tied up in the two.  I would assume you can get Zeke for high 50's, which would put you in the 65ish range for the two if you go that route.  Not to mention the long term keeper value of Thomas and Johnson compared to Zeke. 

I think having two studs that cheap allows you to buy 2 more studs and then fill in with high potential guys as opposed to the other route in which you may only be able to add 1 more stud.

The unkept stud RB's in this league end up going at around 70-80 (I'm not kidding, the guys that have none get into bidding wars with the mindset that "they have to have one!").  So, realistically, if I scrap Zeke and go with the cheaper option on DJ/Thomas, my best bet to do another high-splurge is to go after another elite WR.

Something occurred to me too that's probably going to play some into how I strategize.  This league is one where here are two guys who often target the same "sleeper" and "breakout" candidates that I do, so who/what positions they end up keeping on their rosters is going to influence my strategy because I don't want to be getting into golden-stream matches with these guys on breakout guys at positions that all of us are trying to fill versus it being a lot more preferable to have to face down one of them for the WR's and the other for the RB's (of which I'm a lot less confident in the depth of the "breakout" guys this year and I'm probably going to opt for a strategy of loading up on (easily dumpable in the event a better option on the waiver wire comes available) passing-down backs who can contribute via the 1/2pt PPR format and who I can play the matchups with.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, The LBC said:

The unkept stud RB's in this league end up going at around 70-80 (I'm not kidding, the guys that have none get into bidding wars with the mindset that "they have to have one!").  So, realistically, if I scrap Zeke and go with the cheaper option on DJ/Thomas, my best bet to do another high-splurge is to go after another elite WR.

Something occurred to me too that's probably going to play some into how I strategize.  This league is one where here are two guys who often target the same "sleeper" and "breakout" candidates that I do, so who/what positions they end up keeping on their rosters is going to influence my strategy because I don't want to be getting into golden-stream matches with these guys on breakout guys at positions that all of us are trying to fill versus it being a lot more preferable to have to face down one of them for the WR's and the other for the RB's (of which I'm a lot less confident in the depth of the "breakout" guys this year and I'm probably going to opt for a strategy of loading up on (easily dumpable in the event a better option on the waiver wire comes available) passing-down backs who can contribute via the 1/2pt PPR format and who I can play the matchups with.

All I can say then is what do you think it would truly cost to get Thomas back.  If you keep Zeke at 30+, I would go in with the mindset that you will be keeping him for a few years until he approaches his actual value.  I still think its smarter to take the two elite guys that cost nothing and having the extra 30 to spend elsewhere but can see why you would go the Zeke route.

Full point PPR league. Keep 2 guys at their round. QB, RBx2, WRx2, Flex x 2, TE, DEF, K 6 BENCH 12 man league.

Options:

McKinnon - 17th round

Fitz - 3rd round

D. Henry - 8th round

Kupp - 10th round 

D. Foreman - 14th round

Meredith - 17th round

Right now leaning McKinnon and D. Henry. Feel like that gives me two solid RB2. I also get to pick where I want to draft first because I won the offseason competition. I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8 as my first 10 picks. I'm probably going to pick between 1-2 and grab either Bell, Zeke, DJ, Gurley depending on who is being kept then go WR/WR in rounds 2 and 3. Thoughts? I really wish Foreman hadn't tore his achilles. I think he was going to be a stud and now I question if he will even be able to run. 

6 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Full point PPR league. Keep 2 guys at their round. QB, RBx2, WRx2, Flex x 2, TE, DEF, K 6 BENCH 12 man league.

Options:

McKinnon - 17th round

Fitz - 3rd round

D. Henry - 8th round

Kupp - 10th round 

D. Foreman - 14th round

Meredith - 17th round

Right now leaning McKinnon and D. Henry. Feel like that gives me two solid RB2. I also get to pick where I want to draft first because I won the offseason competition. I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8 as my first 10 picks. I'm probably going to pick between 1-2 and grab either Bell, Zeke, DJ, Gurley depending on who is being kept then go WR/WR in rounds 2 and 3. Thoughts? I really wish Foreman hadn't tore his achilles. I think he was going to be a stud and now I question if he will even be able to run. 

Idk if Henry will be solid if Dion Lewis gets a decent amount of work and given his contract i feel like they want him involved. But given the other options you might not have a choice. Fitzgerald is someone i'd consider too but Henry might be better value. McKinnon is an obvious keep

13 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Idk if Henry will be solid if Dion Lewis gets a decent amount of work and given his contract i feel like they want him involved. But given the other options you might not have a choice. Fitzgerald is someone i'd consider too but Henry might be better value. McKinnon is an obvious keep

Would you consider going with Meredith in the 17th as well? He would be the #2 most likely in New Orleans and get some decent run. (Yes I know they became a run first team last year)

1 hour ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Would you consider going with Meredith in the 17th as well? He would be the #2 most likely in New Orleans and get some decent run. (Yes I know they became a run first team last year)

Considering you only get 2, i think you have to go with a more proven guy even if it costs more. I really like Meredith and Brees can still sling it but he is a new guy in New Orleans and while he might be a #2 WR, Kamara will still get ALOT of catches and that probably limits his value to someone you won't exactly be glad you kept but not necessarily hating it either. 

On 6/4/2018 at 7:38 PM, The LBC said:

Appreciate the feedback.  I genuinely want no part of Ingram - unless it's legitimately at pennies on the dollar, because most of the leagues I play in have smaller bench sizes than normal, and I'm not about burning a bench spot for 5+ weeks (Saints have a really early bye, so I don't think Ingram actually is eligible to return until Week 6) unless I'm getting massively high upside at a dirt cheap price.

McKinnon is the no brainer selection. I’m not very high on Henry but it still seems like decent value. I really like Meredith...he has a good chance to outplay his draft position. But his floor is much lower. Lots of mouths to feed in what could run based offense and opposite a bonofide superstar in Thomas. He’s also coming back from injury. I’d image you could draft him in the mid to late rounds. 

2 Keepers. First keeper is Fournette. Am I crazy to want to keep Mixon over Julio?

.5 PPR, 1 point/20 yards, 6 points/TD.

Available players after you take away keepers are really WR heavy. top ranked RB's are McKinnon, Guice, Drake, Penny. Barkley's going 1 of course.

1 hour ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

2 Keepers. First keeper is Fournette. Am I crazy to want to keep Mixon over Julio?

.5 PPR, 1 point/20 yards, 6 points/TD.

Available players after you take away keepers are really WR heavy. top ranked RB's are McKinnon, Guice, Drake, Penny. Barkley's going 1 of course.

What WR would you be looking at in the first? Julio is a horse and so consistent in what he gives each year. His game to game totals aren’t always consistent but he puts up a ton of targets, a ton of catches, and a ton of yards every single year. 

6 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

What WR would you be looking at in the first? Julio is a horse and so consistent in what he gives each year. His game to game totals aren’t always consistent but he puts up a ton of targets, a ton of catches, and a ton of yards every single year. 

Last year was the first time I've owned Julio and it was frustrating with the lack of TD's and almost being just a decoy in the red zone.

WR's that I would expect to be available: Devante Adams, Thielen, Fitz, Hilton, Baldwin, Diggs, A-Rob, D-Thomas, Josh Gordon...

1 Point PPR league, 10 player keeper league, max 6 offensive or defensive, league setup is QB, 3 RB's, 4 WR's 1 TE, WR Or RB, WR Or TE, K, DEF, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB And 2 Flex defensive players

QB's - Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, Cam Newton   RB's - Lamar Miller, Latavius Murray, Duke Johnson, Rod Smith

WR's - Antonio Brown, Devante Parker, Golden Tate, Marqise Lee, Jarvis Landry, Corey Davis, Juju, Keelan Cole    TE's - Rob Gronkowski, Jack Doyle     Kicker - Chris Boswell

DL- Geno Atkins, Michael Brockers, Trey Flowers,     LB - Wesley Woodyard, Demario Davis, Bendarick McKinney, Jarrad Davis,    DB - Patrick Chung, TJ McDonald

Defence - Rams

Obvious choices i feel is Antonio, Gronk, Cam, Boswell, Rams

Any input would be appreciated

Archived