Wild Card Weekend - Bye Week

Deadpulse

Bye week!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What will you be doing this weekend?

• Watching every Wildcard game
    • Watching just the AFC wildcard games
    • Starting the new year in the gym
    • Flying somewhere with a positive temperature
  2. 2. Who would you like to face in the Divisional Round?

• Buffalo Bills
    • Tennessee Titans
    • Kansas City Chiefs
  3. 3. Which NFC Team are you rooting for this weekend?

• Atlanta Falcons (feel bad)
    • Carolina Panthers
    • New Orleans Saints
    • LA Rams (poor St. Louis)

The Steelers' last 4 playoff wins, dating back to 2010:

18-16 against the Chiefs in a game in which they didn't score a TD

30-12 against a Matt Moore-led Dolphins team

18-16 against an AJ McCarron-led Bengals team 

24-19 against a Mark Sanchez-led Jets team

If this pattern holds, they'll narrowly beat the Jags and then get their teeth kicked in by the Pats.

No defense scares me as long as we can match offensively to what the other team does. The Jags are insanely one dimensional, take away there run game and make Bortles beat you. No matter which defense is better, the Jags offense is still the match up I want.

On to Tennessee though. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

No defense scares me as long as we can match offensively to what the other team does. The Jags are insanely one dimensional, take away there run game and make Bortles beat you. No matter which defense is better, the Jags offense is still the match up I want.

On to Tennessee though. 

How confident are you that Bortles can't make just enough plays to beat this version of the Pats defense? 

After seeing him run for 90 yards today, I'm not. At all. 

Remember the divisional round game against the Texans last year? Bortles is better than Brock Osweiler by JUUUUUUUUUST enough to make me nervous.

28 minutes ago, Starless said:

How confident are you that Bortles can't make just enough plays to beat this version of the Pats defense? 

After seeing him run for 90 yards today, I'm not. At all. 

Remember the divisional round game against the Texans last year? Bortles is better than Brock Osweiler by JUUUUUUUUUST enough to make me nervous.

Im more confident than a Steelers team who potentially have AB, Bell, and Ben flying around. The Jags have a run game. It's less how many plays Bortles can make and more how many more Ben and Brown definitely will. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Im more confident than a Steelers team who potentially have AB, Bell, and Ben flying around. The Jags have a run game. It's less how many plays Bortles can make and more how many more Ben and Brown definitely will. 

That's fine but the Pats' recent history against playoff teams built like the Jags just isn't very encouraging. They can survive a shootout against the Steelers. I'm not sure they can survive a low-scoring slugfest against Jacksonville.

15 minutes ago, Starless said:

That's fine but the Pats' recent history against playoff teams built like the Jags just isn't very encouraging. They can survive a shootout against the Steelers. I'm not sure they can survive a low-scoring slugfest against Jacksonville.

We barely survived the last shootout. In fact, I'd adventure as far as to say we lucked out last time. 

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Tom Brady career against potential AFC opponents...

PIT: 11-2, 30 TD, 4 INT 

JAX: 7-0, 18 TD, 2 INT

TEN: 6-1, 13 TD, 1 INT 

Feeling pretty good tbh.

I somehow don't think what he did 10 years ago against a completely different Jags team is relevant to this conversation.

24 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

We barely survived the last shootout. In fact, I'd adventure as far as to say we lucked out last time. 

Well, there's also the fact that the Steelers' offense is FAR less effective on the road this year. They average a full TD less on the road. 

12 minutes ago, Starless said:

Well, there's also the fact that the Steelers' offense is FAR less effective on the road this year. They average a full TD less on the road. 

And the Patriots scored 4 more TD's at home than away this season. 

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

And the Patriots scored 4 more TD's at home than away this season. 

Meanwhile the Jags defense is every bit as good on the road as it is at home, and Jimmy GOAT was one of only two QBs to post a passer rating above 90 against them (the other being Mariota in a meaningless game).

I'd rather play the Jags.

I know they have an all-world defense and have that interior pressure as well as edge rush combo that is Brady's kryptonite, but I'd still rather play them. Jimmy g wrecked them. Quick passing game, using the backs to negate the rush. Swings, backs moved out to run slants and options. Mix in some monster Gronk, and use Cooks to run Ramsey/Bouye out of the game. Think that would be enough to get the Pats home against Bortles in the freezing cold. Make sure Harrison and co. set the edge and shut Fournette down. Bortles will not keep up, he'll turn it over.

Pittsburgh on the other hand. Hate to say it but I feel like they are due a win and it might be the next game. They absolutely believe they can win. Correct rule or not, realistically they had that last game won. Or at the very least, were good enough to win. They looked better to be honest. Without Antonio Brown. Pats are good at shutting down teams who tend to have only one star threat, possibly two. But the Steelers are stacked. You can't overlook JuJu. And they've even got Martavis. It's too many weapons. Now I do feel like the Pats can again put the stable of backs out as receivers and they'll ruin the linebacker core without Shazier, as well as Gronk, who just owns these guys. But I'm worried the Steelers can finally have those long drives that actually end in touchdowns, keeping Brady off the field.

Absolutely can beat both teams, absolutely can lose to both teams. I lean towards rather facing Jacksonville.

14 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

On to Tennessee though. 

Jags can't win unless the other offense gives the game away.  I think Ben is capable of that game (like the last time they played the Jags), but I don't think Brady is capable of that.   On the flip side I believe Steelers can come to Foxboro and just outplay us.  

Hopefully Jags vs Pats AFCCG.  

Archived