Patriots OC McDaniels, DC Patricia requested to be interviewed

Acgott

6 minutes ago, mattbags2313 said:

Like it a lot.  I’m hoping we think outside the box and hire someone like this and not a former coach like Schwartz just cause he seems safer 

I would really like McDaniels! Then maybe go after someone like Adam Zimmer for DC? I don't know who McDaniels would go after to fill that roll. Would he be in charge of calling plays or just drawing them up

So... I kinda sort of know Patricia and his wife. His kid goes to school with my daughter and he lives in my town. Seen him at the school a few times and in the talks I've had with him and his wife in the past about maybe one day being a HC she alluded that they really don't want to uproot the family. But he's originally from NY and it's not that far of a commute so it's possible he'd be interested.

I'd prefer Mcdaniels though. I just feel in this day and age of the NFL you need an offensive minded HC to succeed.

1 hour ago, Ohbeejay said:

McDaniels won't get it because I doubt he's gonna be willing to play Eli, which will be a prerequisite.

McDaniels isn’t an idiot. He’s not going to turn down an opportunity just because he may have to play Eli for a few games

20 minutes ago, Acgott said:

McDaniels isn’t an idiot. He’s not going to turn down an opportunity just because he may have to play Eli for a few games

You're correct. He's not an idiot. Considering that he's already had a failed run as a head coach, he knows the next job he takes as HC will have to be on his terms, where he knows he can succeed. If he fails again, it will likely be his last opportunity as a head coach. Any job where starting a 37 year old QB is the prerequisite, is going to have a higher probability of failure, than one where you can call your own shots, and start who you want. 

5 minutes ago, Ohbeejay said:

You're correct. He's not an idiot. Considering that he's already had a failed run as a head coach, he knows the next job he takes as HC will have to be on his terms, where he knows he can succeed. If he fails again, it will likely be his last opportunity as a head coach. Any job where starting a 37 year old QB is the prerequisite, is going to have a higher probability of failure, than one where you can call your own shots, and start who you want. 

I also don’t think Eli will be forced on a coach. A new era is coming within the year no matter what 

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I also don’t think Eli will be forced on a coach. A new era is coming within the year no matter what 

I disagree 1000%. The entire reasoning for hiring Gettleman was to make sure Eli will be here next year. Any HC candidate that even thinks of replacing Eli will be removed from consideration. Mara is absolutely terrified of the public reaction, and the Mannings. Eli will go out on his own terms, and not a moment sooner.

30 minutes ago, Ohbeejay said:

I disagree 1000%. The entire reasoning for hiring Gettleman was to make sure Eli will be here next year. Any HC candidate that even thinks of replacing Eli will be removed from consideration. Mara is absolutely terrified of the public reaction, and the Mannings. Eli will go out on his own terms, and not a moment sooner.

Then we will disagree. The public reaction is done. The public wanted Eli to Webb. The team fumbled it with Geno. The public knows it’s the end.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:45 PM, Acgott said:

@Acgott is 100% right with this. Eli's fate with the Giants is very uncertain right now. He wants to play. If the new head coach and Gettleman want him to play, he'll stay. But he's not going to stay to be a backup or a glorified QB coach, and he shouldn't. He wants to start, probably still can, so he should. Right now, I don't think anyone can say with any sort of confidence that Eli is staying or going next year.  It's very up in the air. Forcing Eli on Mcdaniels is a sure fire way to make sure you won't get him, and Gettleman and Mara know that. They also know it's a bad idea in general. 

Remember that the outrage wasn't so much that Eli was benched, but that he was scapegoated by an extremely unpopular head coach and replaced with Geno Smith. If Eli got benched and it was announced Webb was starting, there would have been so much less outrage. 

McDaniels is the guy I want. He learned a lot from his time in Denver. He won't try to be Belichick this time around. 

I like Patricia less after this year, where his defense has collapsed. New England is winning in spite of their defense. I'm also super wary of praising DCs that work under Belichick, who is an all time great defensive mind and no doubt has put his influence into the defense. By all accounts though, Patricia is an extremely smart guy and has put some good defenses on the field. I wouldn't be upset if we hired him. 

On 01/01/2018 at 6:56 PM, Ohbeejay said:

McDaniels won't get it because I doubt he's gonna be willing to play Eli, which will be a prerequisite.

Was going to say, I doubt McD would go and/or be successful there. You've seen our offensive philosophy - it's pretty systematic, doesn't rely on one player, everyone has to contribute, spread the ball, motion like crazy to get mismatches, and you've seen how he chews even Brady out. I'm not sure if NYG O is anything like that, because you have an elite talent who commands most of the action, and he SHOULD get the ball a lot. With that offensive line, as well, he'd employ a quick passing/short yardage game plan like our superbowl run in 2014/15. Would OBJ be happy with this? Would there be friction? I think there would, they're both volatile. 

Now Patricia, on the other hand, would love working with that D. He's turned our talentless defense into a top 10 unit. Would be cool to see what he'd do with your DL and Collins etc. But hands off!! I don't want to lose him. lol.

Archived