Patriots OC McDaniels, DC Patricia requested to be interviewed

Acgott

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Gosh, should we be rooting for Minnesota to lose today, so's the Giants can make Shurmur an offer?

Or I guess they can revisit the Steve Wilks idea?

Don't want to end up with Chip Kelly as the only option.

Let's be honest... despite the prestige that the position holds... the team is just not very well off right now. The Lions situation is much more "win now" . Coaches are typically given a 3 year window to succeed. You're looking at these teams and you have a choice of a 9-7 team with a legit franchise QB, the 7th ranked offense in PPG, a decent receiving corps, who  mostly just needs to improve on defense which you can help with. Or a team in shambles, probably going into total rebuild mode, with a 37 year old QB who's play is rapidly declining, a defense full of free agent mercenaries that are all coming up for contract, a handful of recent draft classes that are full of busts, and basically 1 elite player who by the way is coming up on contract and is unknown if he'll even be here for your entire tenure. The allure of coming to the Giants is the prestige and maybe the prospect of having some input on the pick of ingredients for the meal you need to prepare. MP being from NY originally I thought him coming here made alot of sense. But if you really look at the two teams.. the Lions are so much better off right now.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

If this is true then that’s just stupid.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/01/why_matt_patricia_isnt_crazy_for_reportedly_choosi.html#incart_river_index

"The Giants' quarterback situation is far more unsettled. They have 37-year-old Eli Manning under contract for two more seasons and a new coach may not want to deal with the inevitable divorce from the two-time Super Bowl MVP. Patricia and other candidates are certainly aware of the outrage that led to Ben McAdoo's firing after he benched Manning this season."

Yea let me take a job where I can get fired for doing what's best for the football team because the QB will just cry to the media o.O

3 hours ago, Ohbeejay said:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/01/why_matt_patricia_isnt_crazy_for_reportedly_choosi.html#incart_river_index

"The Giants' quarterback situation is far more unsettled. They have 37-year-old Eli Manning under contract for two more seasons and a new coach may not want to deal with the inevitable divorce from the two-time Super Bowl MVP. Patricia and other candidates are certainly aware of the outrage that led to Ben McAdoo's firing after he benched Manning this season."

Yea let me take a job where I can get fired for doing what's best for the football team because the QB will just cry to the media o.O

I think pretty much all Giants fans know he is on the downside and that he’s not the long term answer. I very much doubt that candiates are scared of the media storm that would be created when Eli is eventually done. 

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Why?

Not sure what @YogiBiz will say here, @Kip Smithers, but as best I understand, there is the familiarity with Bob Quinn (is it?), the new Lions' GM, having worked with him before; and the established quarterback in his prime, Matthew Stafford, age 29- as opposed to the state-of-flux situation that you have noted yourself- Eli unmistakably on the downhill side of his career; unknown Davis Webb; as-yet-undecided high-draft-pick rookie.

22 hours ago, bzane said:

Not sure what @YogiBiz will say here, @Kip Smithers, but as best I understand, there is the familiarity with Bob Quinn (is it?), the new Lions' GM, having worked with him before; and the established quarterback in his prime, Matthew Stafford, age 29- as opposed to the state-of-flux situation that you have noted yourself- Eli unmistakably on the downhill side of his career; unknown Davis Webb; as-yet-undecided high-draft-pick rookie.

Yeah, I was going to say ties to the New Lions GM Bob Quinn, Stable QB situation. 9-7 is easier to rebound from than 3-13. The Eagles and Cowboys look like bigger roadblocks than the Vikings and Packers when it comes to winning the division. You have a Franchise QB in his prime, and a team who's main issue was defense, which is his area of expertise. It's just a whole lot less of uncertainty there. 

Archived