2018 FA Targets, QB Options, & Team Needs

Mind Character

Free agency couldn't be any more important for a team than our team this year.

We have tons of picks to add tons of rookies, but we need impact veteran talent to uplift our roster and give us a chance at winning.

Here's a look at the FA talent pool based on our Team Needs

-----------------------------------------------

Our FS Room: One of the biggest detriments to the team was having two strong safeties starting at the same time 1 with only in box skills (Derrick Kindred) and another rookie player unfamiliar with his position often played too far off the ball. We need a serious upgrade.

FA Targets

FSs

Tier 1

Tre Boston FS Chargers

Lamarcus Joyner FS Rams

Eric Reid FS/SS 49ers

Tier 2

N/a

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Our WR Room: Ricardo Louis will not be on a 53 man roster next year. Higgins is a number 4/5 receiver with ultra competitiveness and fight. Josh Gordon may smoke his life away. Corey Coleman can't stay healthy. This room must be upgraded.

FA Targets

WRs

Tier 1

Terrelle Pryor WR Washington

Paul Richardson WR Seattle

Jordan Matthews WR Buffalo

Allen Robinson WR Jags

Jarvis Landry  WR Miami

Tier 2

Cody Lattimer WR Broncos

--------------------------

Our CB Room: The main issue with our CB room is that they cannot play man coverage. Mccourty is too slow, Jamar Taylor is too trash, and BBC was too hurt/not good enough.

PFF makes fans believe Jason Mccourty is a football god rating him their #23 CB in the league after having him ranked #1/#2 after the first few games. He was exposed in man coverage over and over the last 10 games. To be fair, it was a career year as he's been one of the worst rated CBs in the league the past 3 years. He's a number 3 CB at best on a good team and still has enough in the tank to impact winning in a supporting role.

Jamar Taylor is toilet water. He played the wrong assignments all year and needed to be covered up by the safeties. He's a 4th or 5th CB at best.

Briean Boddy-Calhoun is a great nickel CB with the toughness to compete and play on the boundary. He's not a star although PFF also makes fans think he's a god. Injury hurt his play toward the end of the season.

FA Targets

CBs

Tier 1

Trumaine Johnson CB Rams

Kyle Fuller CB Bears

Rashaan Melvin CB Colts

Patrick Robinson CB Eagles

Tier 2

Prince Amukamara CB Bears

Morris Claiborne CB Jets

Brent Grimes CB Bucs

Malcolm Butler CB Patriots

-----------------------------

Our DE Room: A lot of great young talent whose positional impact can be put over into a serious force by adding a supremely talented player through the draft or FA.

FA Targets

DEs

Tier 1

Ezekial Ansah DE Detroit

--------------------------------------

Our QB Room: Nothing needs to be said.

FA Targets

QBs

AJ Mccaron QB Bengals (UFA pending Arbitration)

Sam Bradford QB Vikings

Case Keenum QB Vikings

-------------------------------------

My Hopeful FA Signings:

Lamarcus Joyner FS Rams -OR- Tre Boston FS Chargers - 5yrs/52Mil/22GTD

Ezekeil Ansah DE Detroit - 4yrs/40Mil/14GTD

Terrelle Pryor WR Washington - 4 yrs/ 25Mil/ 8GTD

Paul Richardson WR Seattle - 4 yrs/ 18Mil/ 5 GTD

AJ Mccaron QB Bengals - 3 yrs/ 45 Mil/ 18 GTD

Kyle Fuller CB Bears -OR- Trumaine Johnson CB Rams - 4 yrs/42Mil/11GTD

Rashaan Melvin CB Colts -OR- Patrick Robinson CB Eagles - 3yrs/ 20Mil/7GTD

**even with all that money spent we'd still be top 24 in Salary cap available the next year. So, we could structure teh contracts such that cutting a player here or there could put us back in the top 15 available cap space going forward.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Our FS Room: One of the biggest detriments to the team was having two strong safeties starting at the same time 1 with only in box skills (Derrick Kindred) and another rookie player unfamiliar with his position often played too far off the ball. We need a serious upgrade.

FA Targets

FSs

Tier 1

Tre Boston FS Chargers

Lamarcus Joyner FS Rams

Eric Reid FS/SS 49ers

Tier 2

N/a

I could see either Joyner or Boston. I don’t know how much interest Reid is going to have based off of personal choices. But he is a good player. 

Our WR Room: Ricardo Louis will not be on a 53 man roster next year. Higgins is a number 4/5 receiver with ultra competitiveness and fight. Josh Gordon may smoke his life away. Corey Coleman can't stay healthy. This room must be upgraded.

FA Targets

WRs

Tier 1

Terrelle Pryor WR Washington

Paul Richardson WR Seattle

Jordan Matthews WR Buffalo

Allen Robinson WR Jags

Jarvis Landry  WR Miami

Tier 2

Cody Lattimer WR Broncos

My favorites from this group is Matthews, Robinson, and Landry. 

I would love to bring in Landry. I think he is the best of the group. 

Our CB Room: The main issue with our CB room is that they cannot play man coverage. Mccourty is too slow, Jamar Taylor is too trash, and BBC was too hurt/not good enough.

PFF makes fans believe Jason Mccourty is a football god rating him their #23 CB in the league after having him ranked #1/#2 after the first few games. He was exposed in man coverage over and over the last 10 games. To be fair, it was a career year as he's been one of the worst rated CBs in the league the past 3 years. He's a number 3 CB at best on a good team and still has enough in the tank to impact winning in a supporting role.

Jamar Taylor is toilet water. He played the wrong assignments all year and needed to be covered up by the safeties. He's a 4th or 5th CB at best.

Briean Boddy-Calhoun is a great nickel CB with the toughness to compete and play on the boundary. He's not a star although PFF also makes fans think he's a god. Injury hurt his play toward the end of the season.

FA Targets

CBs

Tier 1

Trumaine Johnson CB Rams

Kyle Fuller CB Bears

Rashaan Melvin CB Colts

Patrick Robinson CB Eagles

Tier 2

Prince Amukamara CB Bears

Morris Claiborne CB Jets

Brent Grimes CB Bucs

Malcolm Butler CB Patriots

I think BBC has the most positives going forward but I don’t think Mccourty was a bad signing. Taylor’s play improved from when he was in Miami. Not sure our 1/2 cbs are as good as we would like them though. I still hold hope for Howard Wilson to be a good player.

I would love them to bring in Fuller or Butler or both. I like Melvin and Johnson but thought Johnson played more FS than CB. 

Im not a big Prince, Claiborne, or Grimes fan. Grimes mostly because of his wife. 

Our DE Room: A lot of great young talent whose positional impact can be put over into a serious force by adding a supremely talented player through the draft or FA.

FA Targets

DEs

Tier 1

Ezekial Ansah DE Detroit

Ansah would be nice.

But hopefully Dallas can’t resign Demarcus Lawerence and we can win him over with all of our monies. 

Our QB Room: Nothing needs to be said.

FA Targets

QBs

AJ Mccaron QB Bengals (UFA pending Arbitration)

Sam Bradford QB Vikings

Case Keenum QB Vikings

Our QB room is pretty sorry. My preference is Keenum and QB at 1 overall. Or Mccaron and going QB at 1. If we gran Cousins I would have a hard time thinking they take a QB at 1. 

My Hopeful FA Signings:

Lamarcus Joyner FS Rams -OR- Tre Boston FS Chargers - 5yrs/52Mil/22GTD

Ezekeil Ansah DE Detroit - 4yrs/40Mil/14GTD

Terrelle Pryor WR Washington - 4 yrs/ 25Mil/ 8GTD

Paul Richardson WR Seattle - 4 yrs/ 18Mil/ 5 GTD

AJ Mccaron QB Bengals - 3 yrs/ 45 Mil/ 18 GTD

Kyle Fuller CB Bears -OR- Trumaine Johnson CB Rams - 4 yrs/42Mil/11GTD

Rashaan Melvin CB Colts -OR- Patrick Robinson CB Eagles - 3yrs/ 20Mil/7GTD

**even with all that money spent we'd still be top 24 in Salary cap available the next year. So, we could structure teh contracts such that cutting a player here or there could put us back in the top 15 available cap space going forward.

My Hopeful FA Signings:

FS: Same as you but I think my preference is Boston ~ 10 per yr (back loaded 6 in 18)

WR: I want Landry 4 yrs/52 Mil/23 GTD ~ 13 per yr (16 in 18)

CB: Fuller 5 yrs/60 Mil/28 GTD or ~ 12 per yr (10 in 18)

Butler 3 yrs/27 Mil/15 GTD ~ 9 per yr

DE: Lawrence 4 yrs/50 Mil/27 GTD ~ 12.5 per yr (7 in 18, back loaded)

QB: Keenum 3 yrs/42 Mil/22 GTD ~ 14 per yr (20 in yr one)

*BONUS*

RB: Bell 4 yrs/62 Mil/30 GTD (not gonna happen)~ 15.5 per yr (18 yr one)

Money spent is free agency 2018- 77 Mil 

There is almost $109 Mil in cap space with no impending FA this year. That would leave $32 Million to sign Rookies. Which should be more than enough.

This is just a wish list. Nothing more. Not a projection. 

What do you think about Shon Coleman going forward? Have we seen enough positives to consider RT as being taken care of? What about Trotter? He's seemed meh to me though not especially bad. In a deeper center class, do we upgrade there? I ask this because our pass blocking was not good this last year, despite the free pass the offensive line continues to receive. My eyeballs say our run blocking is decent/pretty good. I'd like to be great at least at run blocking OR pass blocking. Which lineman needs upgrading? 

43 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

What do you think about Shon Coleman going forward? Have we seen enough positives to consider RT as being taken care of? What about Trotter? He's seemed meh to me though not especially bad. In a deeper center class, do we upgrade there? I ask this because our pass blocking was not good this last year, despite the free pass the offensive line continues to receive. My eyeballs say our run blocking is decent/pretty good. I'd like to be great at least at run blocking OR pass blocking. Which lineman needs upgrading? 

We need an OT in case Joe has arm issues. And another just in case Coleman regresses.he can be upgraded.

I think Tretter played well despite early struggles. Coleman was really bad in pass pro.

Just now, brownie man said:

We arent' going to get anybody honestly 

we ******* suck

I'd hope for Allen Robinson or Davante Adams, but it aint gonna happen 

Idk man, I was listening to Joe Thomas’s podcast and Kirksey was talking about how he still likes Hue and such, so maybe players have a different view.

He was always well liked before he came here.

Plus, money talks and bulltish walks and we have all the money.

You don’t have to like the browns history to like being paid top 10 at your position. We’re going to have to over pay to get ppl. Fine. We might want to try and get some guys to buy into being apart of a legacy if we were to turn it around. Whatever we’re going to have to do we’re going to do to get our guys. 

McCarron - starter, familiarity with hue, was successful with you. 

Carlos Hyde - starter, from Cleveland,money 

Allen Robinson - Starter, 1 year prove it deal and top 5 money for WR, extend early if successful. 

Joyner doesn’t like Gregg Williams. Gregg benched him. 

Trumaine Johnson - was better with Gregg Williams, starter top 5 corner money. 

I'd definitely like Johnson, and he obviously has a connection to Williams. What's LA's cap situation? I doubt they'd want to let him leave. I'd also really like to get Jarvis Landry. He'd be an excellent compliment to Gordon and Coleman.

But like @LETSGOBROWNIES said, we absolutely need to extend Duke, and ideally Shelton as well.

Archived