2018 FA Targets, QB Options, & Team Needs

Mind Character

2 hours ago, Dogbite said:

I do apologize for those days. I really shouldn't take it out on my forum friends when my wife is extra naggy. 

All you hadda say was wife, buddy. Feel your pain. My old man married 3 times. I dont know how he has the will to continue breathing. But just in case this gets back to her, I love my wife. Youre the best baby!:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

The only difference between the 2016 team and the 2017 team literally was Rookies at key positions, Subtracting Terrelle Pryor, Adding Kenny Britt, Jason Mccourty, Kevin Zeitler, and JC Tretter ...that's it

We have to have a more impactful FA this year.

I would love to add a FS, CB and since he wants to come back Pryor. Add in a vet QB and I will be happy.

This frees us up for my dream draft Darnold and Barkley 

17 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I would love to add a FS, CB and since he wants to come back Pryor. Add in a vet QB and I will be happy.

This frees us up for my dream draft Darnold and Barkley 

I would love to have a WR room of WR Pryor, Slot CC WR Gordon, Lindsey Auburn WR in the 2nd, kasen Williams and Higgins

With Darnold and Barkley

TE group Devalve and Njoku

With a good Oline and Keenum or Bradford or Smith starting he year at QB.

12 hours ago, Mind Character said:

The only difference between the 2016 team and the 2017 team literally was Rookies at key positions, Subtracting Terrelle Pryor, Adding Kenny Britt, Jason Mccourty, Kevin Zeitler, and JC Tretter ...that's it

We have to have a more impactful FA this year.

We added 3 starters who played pretty well imo, that’s not a terrible FA period imo.  

I don’t think Sashi was looking for a bunch of vet stop gap players who would make us better, but just enough to win some games and potentially miss on the top qb’s.  

Sashi didn’t think they be 0-16 I’m sure, and he didn’t give the coaches an 0-16 roster imo, but he didn’t want a treadmill team either I’m guessing.

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We added 3 starters who played pretty well imo, that’s not a terrible FA period imo.  

I don’t think Sashi was looking for a bunch of vet stop gap players who would make us better, but just enough to win some games and potentially miss on the top qb’s.  

Sashi didn’t think they be 0-16 I’m sure, and he didn’t give the coaches an 0-16 roster imo, but he didn’t want a treadmill team either I’m guessing.

Depends on the goal (winning vs rebuilding)

If you stab someone in the back 9 inches and pull out 6 inches that is not progress.

Having 2 pr obowl top 5 at their position OL leave the team (9 inch stab) and replacing them with a decent center, a decent RT, and a really good RG (pulling the knife out 6 inches) isn't progress or a good FA period imo, especially if the goal is to win (which it really wasn't)

Adding Britt and Mccourty along with letting go of Pryor (despite it being his decision to test the market), Davis (despite Schoberts sound play he was a decisive leader), and Haden (despite injury concerns he could play man coverage and was a leader and was a blow to the locker room since he was regarded by the players as one of the best on the team) is the definition of a terrible FA period when graded on a time scale of 2 years.

When a rookie QB leads that team, it can easily be a 0-16 team.

The difference between 0-16 and 3-13 is minuscule. So, saying Sashi didn't give us a 0-16 roster but he gave us a 3-13 or 4-12 roster really is the same thing.

We drove to tie/win/extend the lead in the 4th Quarter in 6 games this season. We also had solidifying FG attempts in 2 games.

How many times did those drives end in a catastrophic turnover where a play was open//ready to be made but our QB inexperience did us in.

A convincing argument could be made that was the case in at least 4 out of those 6 games.

That is despite the multiple games of too burdensome play calling for Deshone, bad situational football decisions by Hue, or bad defensive play, or special teams play.

In spite of all that, we still had clear 4-6 winning chances that were undone by QB inexperience.

The rookie QB is the volatile factor and variable in achieving the results we did. It could've went one way resulting in us being 3-13 or 4-12 but even before the season started if you had to bet on a rookie QB and which way it would go especially if it was Kizer who wasn't ready this year with the surrounding talent he had around him....it would be smart to bet things would go the other way.

That's why we are a 0-16/3-13 talented team...b/c there's really no discernible difference when really assessing things on a game by game basis.

Rookie led teams don't win games...they never have and they never will..especially when all other surrounding talent is 2nd year player/first year starters

Eh, the rookie qb cost us a ton, but Hue’s management of said rookie was far more egregious.

I think it’s pretty close to football 101 to run the ball and protect a rookie QB and Hue had him chucking it 40 times a game and ripping off the part of his play sheet with the runs on it at the half.

I’d take Huey’s issues more seriously if he seemed even remotely competent at HIS job.

49 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d take Huey’s issues more seriously if he seemed even remotely competent at HIS job.

Yep. Kizer was awful. But he doesn't call the plays. Only one person on the team got to pick how many times we ran/passed, and he picked to pass the most times in the league and run the fewest, with a great OL, solid RBs, awful WRs, very young/raw TEs, and a suuuuuper young rookie QB.

Kizer deserves blame for what was his fault. But the buck stops with Hue.

4 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Kizer deserves blame for what was his fault. But the buck stops with Hue.

Huebris'/Clhueless'/Magic Jackson's objective was to kill Sashi, for whatever reason.

He didn't coach to win.

And for that he should have been the one fired.

47 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Huebris'/Clhueless'/Magic Jackson's objective was to kill Sashi, for whatever reason.

He didn't coach to win.

And for that he should have been the one fired.

he coached to prove a point. 

he proved a different point, he is a moron. 

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Depends on the goal (winning vs rebuilding)

If you stab someone in the back 9 inches and pull out 6 inches that is not progress.

Having 2 pr obowl top 5 at their position OL leave the team (9 inch stab) and replacing them with a decent center, a decent RT, and a really good RG (pulling the knife out 6 inches) isn't progress or a good FA period imo, especially if the goal is to win (which it really wasn't)

Adding Britt and Mccourty along with letting go of Pryor (despite it being his decision to test the market), Davis (despite Schoberts sound play he was a decisive leader), and Haden (despite injury concerns he could play man coverage and was a leader and was a blow to the locker room since he was regarded by the players as one of the best on the team) is the definition of a terrible FA period when graded on a time scale of 2 years.

When a rookie QB leads that team, it can easily be a 0-16 team.

The difference between 0-16 and 3-13 is minuscule. So, saying Sashi didn't give us a 0-16 roster but he gave us a 3-13 or 4-12 roster really is the same thing.

We drove to tie/win/extend the lead in the 4th Quarter in 6 games this season. We also had solidifying FG attempts in 2 games.

How many times did those drives end in a catastrophic turnover where a play was open//ready to be made but our QB inexperience did us in.

A convincing argument could be made that was the case in at least 4 out of those 6 games.

That is despite the multiple games of too burdensome play calling for Deshone, bad situational football decisions by Hue, or bad defensive play, or special teams play.

In spite of all that, we still had clear 4-6 winning chances that were undone by QB inexperience.

The rookie QB is the volatile factor and variable in achieving the results we did. It could've went one way resulting in us being 3-13 or 4-12 but even before the season started if you had to bet on a rookie QB and which way it would go especially if it was Kizer who wasn't ready this year with the surrounding talent he had around him....it would be smart to bet things would go the other way.

That's why we are a 0-16/3-13 talented team...b/c there's really no discernible difference when really assessing things on a game by game basis.

Rookie led teams don't win games...they never have and they never will..especially when all other surrounding talent is 2nd year player/first year starters

Tell it, Mind C.

Yes, Mind Character is correct in most assessments.  Bottom line is Dorsey is reviewing the roster and will certainly have a plan for 4-5 FA's that make fiscal sense.  Once the OC and other coaches have been selected I believe Dorsey will hold Hue and coaching staff accountable for their input in FA.

I believe the key issue is priority of needs and I believe QB, CB, S, DT, WR for Free Agents.  Yes we will surely draft a RB in the first two rounds as Crowell is long gone.  Yes we have other needs but FA should strengthen our roster so our draft becomes effective.  With 111 M in cap space, my guess is we have a budget of 55 M for free agency.   New draft class will cost $  and there are 2-3 Browns who should be rewarded with extensions.

Haslam has to be all in with money, mouth, and motivation.  His ego and cheapness certainly have made it a life lesson that I hope he has finally learned.  Kudos to hiring Dorsey, Highsmith, and OC who should be able to figure out QB and roster.

Archived