2018 Postseason NFL Mock Draft

Shylo3716

Lamar Jackson for the Cardinals is a terrible pick as I see him as RG3 2.0. This pick will greatly depend on what Palmer decides to do as well as Fitzgerald. The Cardinals need to upgrade the talent around whoever plays quarterback and with Courtland Sutton still on the board that would be a much better choice for Arizona. 

1 hour ago, Smhx2519 said:

Lamar Jackson for the Cardinals is a terrible pick as I see him as RG3 2.0. This pick will greatly depend on what Palmer decides to do as well as Fitzgerald. The Cardinals need to upgrade the talent around whoever plays quarterback and with Courtland Sutton still on the board that would be a much better choice for Arizona. 

Weapons won't matter if you don't have a QB to get them the ball and they don't have anyone on the roster that can do that especially since Palmer is, more liekly than not, going to retire. And RG3 gets a bad rap, he played exceptionally well (Passing: 3200 Yds, 20 TD, 5 INT-- Rushing: 815 Yds, 7 TD) before the knee injury took him out at the end of his rookie season. A rookie season that put the Redskins in the playoffs with a 10-win season. After his rookie season, and the major knee injury, his rushing ability took a big hit, and his passing game suffered for it with about 3200 yds, 16 TD, and 12 INT in 2013.  I think the knee injury ruined him and made him rely more on his arm without defenses worrying as much about his legs (not to mention the possible psychological damage). 

My point, the Cardinals offensive scheme needs a strong arm and Jackson might have the strongest arm in the draft. The Cardinals would be lucky if they can get someone as good as rookie year RG3. RG3 had known injury proneness and Redskins drafted him knowing the risk. Lamar Jackson has no real injury history so he at least has that on RG3. Not saying he would be the #1 guy if all QB are available, just that at pick #15, I don't think it would be the worst pick. 

My point is that running QBs don’t last in the NFL. RG3, Deshaun Watson the list is long. The NFL game is played from the pocket. Outside of Fitzgerald the Cardinals lack playmakers and I would prefer a wide receiver of Sutton’s caliber over Jackson. Depending on who declares this is a deep QB class and the Cardinals would be just as well served getting someone like Drew Lock, Ryan Finley, Luke Falk or McSorley in a later round. A lot will depend on who the next coach is and if Palmer and Fitzgerald return. 

1 hour ago, Sepanak said:

Weapons won't matter if you don't have a QB to get them the ball and they don't have anyone on the roster that can do that especially since Palmer is, more liekly than not, going to retire. And RG3 gets a bad rap, he played exceptionally well (Passing: 3200 Yds, 20 TD, 5 INT-- Rushing: 815 Yds, 7 TD) before the knee injury took him out at the end of his rookie season. A rookie season that put the Redskins in the playoffs with a 10-win season. After his rookie season, and the major knee injury, his rushing ability took a big hit, and his passing game suffered for it with about 3200 yds, 16 TD, and 12 INT in 2013.  I think the knee injury ruined him and made him rely more on his arm without defenses worrying as much about his legs (not to mention the possible psychological damage). 

My point, the Cardinals offensive scheme needs a strong arm and Jackson might have the strongest arm in the draft. The Cardinals would be lucky if they can get someone as good as rookie year RG3. RG3 had known injury proneness and Redskins drafted him knowing the risk. Lamar Jackson has no real injury history so he at least has that on RG3. Not saying he would be the #1 guy if all QB are available, just that at pick #15, I don't think it would be the worst pick. 

Jackson is a spectacular college QB but lacks the accuracy to play at the pro level. I think RG3 was a better passer coming out of college. But unless you have Cam Newton’s size a running QB is just an injury waiting to happen. Availability is an important ability. Not to mention first round QBs are a risky proposition. I believe you can find the right QB in later rounds. Tom Brady sixth round, Drew Brees second round, Russell Wilson third round, Kirk Cousins third round, Dak Prescott fourth found. So no I don’t like Jackson at #15. 

37 minutes ago, Smhx2519 said:

Jackson is a spectacular college QB but lacks the accuracy to play at the pro level. I think RG3 was a better passer coming out of college. But unless you have Cam Newton’s size a running QB is just an injury waiting to happen. Availability is an important ability. Not to mention first round QBs are a risky proposition. I believe you can find the right QB in later rounds. Tom Brady sixth round, Drew Brees second round, Russell Wilson third round, Kirk Cousins third round, Dak Prescott fourth found. So no I don’t like Jackson at #15. 

I absolutely agree. QB's are overdrafted every single year and unfortunately for some teams and fortunately for others, it will almost definitely happen again this year. Teams tend to over-value raw talent/athletic ability hoping for an instant superstar instead of the guy with the intangibles, football IQ, or the guy that actually fits best in the scheme. The majority of the time, it's the team and the scheme that make stars, not the individual effort (although there are exceptions).

Anyways, I was just trying to say that I do not think Jackson would be the worst pick they could make. They need a lot of upgrades on offense and I think it might be best for them to sign a QB in Free Agency (i.e. whichever one of Keenum, Bridgewater, or Bradford the Vikings let go or possibly Cousins.... and RG3 is available lol just kidding, although someone will probably pick him up eventually) and target interior O-Line and WR in the draft.

1 hour ago, Smhx2519 said:

This.

16 hours ago, chargerbuckeye said:

I Like josh jackson, but our biggest need is a run stuffer so Christian Wilkins or DaRon Payne would be great at 17.

I appreciate the feedback. I took in account to Verrett’s ongoing injury problems.

8 hours ago, Sepanak said:

You should revisit this draft order with some predictions, even if it is assuming highest seed wins each time. Picks 21-24 are split between the losers of the 1st round and then sorted by Record and then Strength of Schedule. Similarly, picks 25-28 are split between the 4 losers of the 2nd round. Therefore, assuming the highest seed wins each time, the picks should go as follows:

21. Titans

22. Bills

23. Falcons

24. Panthers

25. Jags

26. Chiefs

27. Rams

28. Saints

29. Steelers

30. Vikings

31/ 32 between Eagles and Patriots depending on Super Bowl

I am aware that the standings aren’t accurate. I had got the projections from another site that did it based on winning percentages.

8 hours ago, Sepanak said:

Also, I am very curious to see what happens with Darnold if he does declare. Whenever I see him play, he looks like a 3rd or 4th round prospect to me personally, but I am no expert. Supposedly NFL teams are rating him very differently from each other so his combine could easily either lock him into the 1st round or drop him to the end of 2nd or start of 3rd (even with a bad combine, he has been so over-hyped for two years now that I do not think he falls past this point.

Rosen may surpass him. I wouldn’t rule out a possibility of Allen as well.

7 hours ago, Smhx2519 said:

Palmer just officially retired from what I’ve seen posted on someone’s link.

6 hours ago, Sepanak said:

I love your logic!

Archived