2018 coaching staff watch

Apparition

-McDaniels and Patricia are on the shortlist for both the Giants and Lions.

-The Bears also reportedly have McDaniels at the top of their list

-As do the Colts. 

-As always, keep an eye on Nick Caserio. Rick Smith's situation in Houston is unique as he's expected to take a leave for the entirety of 2018 to deal with his wife's cancer. It's possible that Bill O'Brien will try and get Caserio in to replace him (though the mechanics of that with Smith still employed by the team would be tricky).

-Also, linebackers coach (and the likely replacement for Patricia in the event he takes a HC job) Brian Flores has emerged as a dark horse for the Cardinals job, though I expect them to promote their current DC Jim Bettcher to replace Arians.

If Flores does get the Arizona job and Patricia gets the Lions job (which is reportedly likely) then it's not clear who the DC will be in 2018. The other defensive positional coaches are Brendan Daly (line), Josh Boyer (cornerbacks) and Stephen Belichick (safeties).

McDaniels' expected replacement was long rumored to be Brian Daboll, who was on the staff for two different spans (2000-2006, 2014-2016) and is currently the OC at the University of Alabama. If he doesn't make himself available, the next likeliest seems to be WRs coach Chad O'Shea.

2 minutes ago, jofos said:

As long as Bill stays I think we will be okay.

Yes but this year could be very significant w/r/t what happens after he leaves. I don't expect him to coach through another round of coordinator departures after this one.

3 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I could have sworn a couple months ago either he or Kraft suggested Belichick wasn't retiring any time soon.

According to the story, Belichick's friends believe that he'll only coach for two or three more years, which would keep him on the Patriots sideline until 2019 or '20. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/apparently-bill-belichicks-friends-get-the-sense-that-he-could-be-retiring-soon/

BB leaving would be weirder than Brady retiring. I have never seen another HC on the Patriots sideline.

He's three years from tying and 4 years from beating Landry's consecutive winning seasons record. You wonder if that plays a part, although with the respect he has for the older coaches, he might not want to break that record.

I think this is finally the off-season where we lose both Patricia and McDaniels. 

I'm sure everyone will freak out when this happens, but I'm not going to overact. Belichick is ALWAYS preparing for this. He always hires young and relatively inexperienced coaches, so he can really mold them and get them ready for bigger roles. For instance, I'm pretty sure Dabol (before he left for Bama) and Flores have called plays in pre-season games to prepare them for the future.

I'd expect Chad O'Shea to fill in if McDaniels walks and Flores if Patricia does. 

15 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I remember seeing that, but I also remember seeing a report suggesting that that was dated information, based on his kids.

And now that his kids work with him on the Patriots he's feeling more inclined to stick around for more time.

Archived