Baltimore Ravens 2018 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

We are not in the best situation with MM as offensive coordinator. On the other hand, while his playcalling certainly deserves some scrutiny, the offense actually produced and performed better than anticipated by almost everyone, once we got into the season. The offense finished as the better unit compared to the defense, that counts for something, and therefor I can accept he gets a chance with hopefully improved talent on the offensive side of the ball.

A Kubiak or Dennison as OC would have been my preferred choice, but if neither of them were interested, I can see why the continue with MM.

17 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:
Not surprising. The offense produced enough results over the last half of the season for Marty to stick around. He still sucks as a situational play-caller though. 

Agreed. We have a bottom 5-8 offense on paper probably and we still produced.

Also, these quotes about the DC search worry me:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said continuity will be priority in selecting a defensive coordinator. "I'm a believer in this system," Harbaugh said. "It'll be someone who's been involved in this system before. I hopefully will know soon." It's believed the top candidates are Chuck Pagano and Don "Wink" Martindale.

Harbaugh admits that he's looking only at defensive coordinators that have been in this system. In other words, it's either going to be Martindale's job or Ravens are trying to bring in one of their former DC's: Chuck Pagano is at top of list.

This indicates they're not looking for change at all. They're looking for someone familiar, and we ALL know what that means. They're not taking risks, they're not being innovative or creative, they're doing something safe and known. So, prepare for Martindale.

Also, I love how Harbaugh throws the players under the bus here:

Yes, John, calling a fake double-a gap blitz on 4th and 12 and asking your dropping ILB's to get back into the 3rd seam window before a WR can run 12 yards was a good play call! What a joke.

2 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

i died when JH said he needed to look for  QB coach to work on the mechanics of his 33yo QB. Cause them bad habits are apparently news to him and at this age JF sure is going to improve on that. Thanks coach.

Never forget when John Harbaugh fired Jim Zorn as QB's coach because he was having a rift with Cam Cameron in the middle of Joe Flacco's best season of his career.

I think people are taking 'QB coach' a little too severe. It's like when a veteran boxer gets new trainer late in their career. Their base is largely established and they aren't going to change all that much but little tweaks here and there, some different approaches, and a new POV or outlook can really go a long way.  I'm sure the statement has already stirred up the photoshop fiends and we'll be seeing pictures of 6'7 Joe going through drills alongside QB hopeful children at an academy somewhere.

I'm fine with keeping MM.  Somehow the Ravens had one of the highest scoring offenses in the league for the 2nd half of the year, despite having very little talent anywhere on the offense.  That to me, says that they were well coached.  Sure, there's going to be some bone-headed play calls, and there were far too many plays called on 3rd down where the receivers ran routes short of the sticks, but the overall results speak for themselves.  

Just need to hope that we can keep a hold of Roman and D'Alessandris to continue improving the OL and make the running game work.

As for "only looking at coordinators that have been in this system", I'm okay with that too so long as it ends up being Fangio or Pagano (or to a lesser extent, Teryl Austin) and not Martindale.  Those first 2 names would be good hires even if we did go outside "the system".

A lot of our scoring the latter half of the year was due to our offense getting tremendous field position, in part because of the defense which was facing horrible opposition. If anyone is interested, I would love to see a breakdown of how we scored touchdowns on offense and our starting field position in weeks 10-17.

4 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

A lot of our scoring the latter half of the year was due to our offense getting tremendous field position, in part because of the defense which was facing horrible opposition. If anyone is interested, I would love to see a breakdown of how we scored touchdowns on offense and our starting field position in weeks 10-17.

This is true. And I agree but given those numbers I still believe it’s fully justifiable to retain MM for those reasons. They might have been gifted great field position, true. But they also made the most of it... and with poor offensive talent to boot.

I like how with Steve Bisciotti, he’s always looking for reasons to retain someone versus reasons to fire them... and I love how that has matriculated throughout the franchise. It’s just smart business. And Harbaugh has definitely done the same in how he managers his coaching staff. It might be frustrating, but there has generally been too much fluctuation with our offensive coaching staff and I think now that we at least have someone that is making things happen to some capacity, we shouldn’t just be looking to throw that away. MM was an offensive coordinator for Andy Reid for many years and that’s the kind of consistency we need on the offensive end to finally start building something good there.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-mornhinweg-returns-0104-story.html

Harbaugh is in the process of hiring a new defensive coordinator after Dean Pees’ decision earlier this week to retire. The Ravens also look like they’ll have to replace senior offensive assistant/tight ends coach Greg Roman, a significant loss given the impact Roman had on reviving the team’s run game. Roman coached on a one-year contract this season and he plans to explore other opportunities.

:(

1 minute ago, coordinator0 said:

Retaining MM, losing Roman, and not hiring someone to revamp the passing game is literally worst case scenario going into next year, IMO. You're getting rid of everything good about the offense, not fixing the bad things, and keeping the worst things.

Archived