8th pick in the draft

Rogerthat

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Not to mention the absolute fluke way the vikes ultimately ended up winning.  Or that the best d in the nfl gave up 35 points today and only won bc the offense put up 38.  As great as the vikes d is an all time great qb came back from a 17-0 deficit and ultimately should have won that game.  What Marcus Williams was doing there i have no idea.  Wrap him up and keep him in bounds the clock is still running and they are not quite in fg range either. That was one of the worst whiffs i have ever seen.

I haven't seen his interview after the fact - so maybe he explained - but it looks to me like a kid trying to avoid the WR altogether - I'm guessing because he though he was going to get there before the ball.  Watch the reverse angle of that play and he doesn't whiff - he actually tries to not touch the WR at all.

I couldn't find a gif of this angle - but this pic shows he has his head down, his arms are tucked in, and he is lowering his right shoulder in an attempt to avoid 'pass interference'.

KXoOi8G.jpg

8 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Not to mention the absolute fluke way the vikes ultimately ended up winning.  Or that the best d in the nfl gave up 35 points today and only won bc the offense put up 38.  As great as the vikes d is an all time great qb came back from a 17-0 deficit and ultimately should have won that game.  What Marcus Williams was doing there i have no idea.  Wrap him up and keep him in bounds the clock is still running and they are not quite in fg range either. That was one of the worst whiffs i have ever seen.

What a lucky bounce for the Vikes.  They were dead to rights and got bailed out by a rookie mistake. 99 times out of 100 that doesn't happen.  It was just the Vikes lucky day.

4 hours ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

I haven't seen his interview after the fact - so maybe he explained - but it looks to me like a kid trying to avoid the WR altogether - I'm guessing because he though he was going to get there before the ball.  Watch the reverse angle of that play and he doesn't whiff - he actually tries to not touch the WR at all.

I couldn't find a gif of this angle - but this pic shows he has his head down, his arms are tucked in, and he is lowering his right shoulder in an attempt to avoid 'pass interference'.

KXoOi8G.jpg

I was thinking the same when I saw the reply...I think he is worried he hits him too early and gives away a penalty in what could have been field goal range...the kid has just made a rookie play but he was exceptional all year for the Saints...I remember the commentators saying QBs had a QBR of 19.7 when throwing at him...tough break for him but he will learn. 

31 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

You know we’re officially in what I like to call “lazy mock season” when all of the mock drafts just have teams picking their biggest on-the-surface need. WR this year. In 2015, it was Danny Shelton, “because 3-4 defense.”

I think I'll snap if the Bears pick another WR in the first this year.

26 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I think I'll snap if the Bears pick another WR in the first this year.

I don't think it's likely, given how KC drafted (I'm fairly certain we end up going OL or Edge... and I don't see any Edge guys in our range)

but Ridley imo is about as perfect a prospect as you could hope for, when accounting for the style of offense KC runs (and Oregon ran under Helfrich, since there's going to be some concepts from there).... Elite speed and elite ability to separate... I genuinely don't think there's a single other prospect on this team, in free agency, or even in this draft class that comes close for a true #1 WR option for this team.... The flipside of that however, is whether or not Ridley is an actual elite level prospect, or just the best available option @ WR.  I'm convinced of the latter, but I'm not sure I can say the former.

Just now, Epyon said:

I don't think it's likely, given how KC drafted (I'm fairly certain we end up going OL or Edge... and I don't see any Edge guys in our range)

but Ridley imo is about as perfect a prospect as you could hope for, when accounting for the style of offense KC runs (and Oregon ran under Helfrich, since there's going to be some concepts from there).... Elite speed and elite ability to separate... I genuinely don't think there's a single other prospect on this team, in free agency, or even in this draft class that comes close for a true #1 WR option for this team.... The flipside of that however, is whether or not Ridley is an actual elite level prospect, or just the best available option @ WR.  I'm convinced of the latter, but I'm not sure I can say the former.

I will wait until the combine to see and comment on how elite Ridley's speed and athleticism really is.  That said, I think he is definitely getting overhyped due to being the biggest fish in a small pool of WR prospects as far as top end talent goes.  Not saying he will be a bust but I can think of much better ways to improve the team with the #8 overall pick than going WR.

12 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I will wait until the combine to see and comment on how elite Ridley's speed and athleticism really is.  That said, I think he is definitely getting overhyped due to being the biggest fish in a small pool of WR prospects as far as top end talent goes.  Not saying he will be a bust but I can think of much better ways to improve the team with the #8 overall pick than going WR.

To me, it's not only the quality of other WR draftees available, but who he played for.

Alabama  13th rushing. 91st passing. 1st overall defense.

Bama could pound the ball down anyone's throat and then Ridley and possibly a hundred High School receivers could look good when Bama decided to throw one.

He has talent. Certainly. Does he have top 8 talent?????

As noted above, if the Bears go WR with the 8th, that second snap won't be an echo of your snap. It'll be my snap.

3 hours ago, 51to54 said:

To me, it's not only the quality of other WR draftees available, but who he played for.

Alabama  13th rushing. 91st passing. 1st overall defense.

Bama could pound the ball down anyone's throat and then Ridley and possibly a hundred High School receivers could look good when Bama decided to throw one.

He has talent. Certainly. Does he have top 8 talent?????

As noted above, if the Bears go WR with the 8th, that second snap won't be an echo of your snap. It'll be my snap.

It’s super hard to evaluate Ridley based on their crap passing game (how can they not recruit guys who can pass?). With that said, this is who he was arriving at Bama:

LDNBhJq.jpg

He hasn’t done anything to dispel that he’s that elite level prospect now as he continues on. 

Alll of that said, I’m not taking him 8th. If we trade back into the teens then I’m totally cool with it, but honestly I expect us to add 2 WR in FA and with Meredith also coming back WR won’t be a 1st round need by then anyway. 

On 2018-01-13 at 11:17 PM, Sugashane said:

The one that is gassed in the second half and sporadically getting past the LOS then. That's the one.

The Bears may get priced into a CB at 8.

Would not shock me if Ward and jackson both ended up with higher grades than the OTs and WRs.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears may get priced into a CB at 8.

Would not shock me if Ward and jackson both ended up with higher grades than the OTs and WRs.

Assuming we keep Fuller in some capacity I’d like to have someone in house already who can be at least a capable starter, even if it’s just as a 1-year placeholder for Ward/Jackson. 

If they are unable to land guys like Minkah or Chubb then I wouldn't mind LB Roquan Smith at #8 either.  This guy is a player and after seeing how fast and fierce that Jags LB corps was (Jack and Smith)  against Pittsburgh last weekend it has me thinking that the Bears could use an infusion of that in the middle of their defense.  This is of course depending on what happens with Christian Jones and Jerrell Freeman in FA, but I think it's likely 1 if not both are gone.

I'm just picturing Roquan being Fangio's version of Navorro Bowman for the Bears and it's giving me goosebumps.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

If they are unable to land guys like Minkah or Chubb then I wouldn't mind LB Roquan Smith at #8 either.  This guy is a player and after seeing how fast and fierce that Jags LB corps was (Jack and Smith)  against Pittsburgh last weekend it has me thinking that the Bears could use an infusion of that in the middle of their defense.  This is of course depending on what happens with Christian Jones and Jerrell Freeman in FA, but I think it's likely 1 if not both are gone.

I'm just picturing Roquan being Fangio's version of Navorro Bowman for the Bears and it's giving me goosebumps.

Yep that would be a great pick up. Unsexy but we need leaders and great players across the board. His speed is something else, I just hope he can cover TEs.

Archived