8th pick in the draft

Rogerthat

16 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Yep that would be a great pick up. Unsexy but we need leaders and great players across the board. His speed is something else, I just hope he can cover TEs.

I am not big on taking top 10 picks that have physical limitations. He is never getting taller.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Harold Landry's bend is pretty freaking ridiculous.

If he measures out with long arms, I'd take a long hard look at him like AZ did in his mock off-season.

He’s been my guy all offseason. I think his upside is so high and with he and Floyd I think our defense could be ELITE, and for a while too with both on rookie deals for the next 3 years. 

Quenton Nelson is going to generate a lot of arguments over the next few months. Is he worth #8? We all know the “guards don’t go until the 20s” argument that has been proven both right (DeCastro) and wrong (Scherff). The guy comes from a program that has produced big time at OL with a coach that’s now on staff, but then positional value will come into the argument...

6 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Quenton Nelson is going to generate a lot of arguments over the next few months. Is he worth #8? We all know the “guards don’t go until the 20s” argument that has been proven both right (DeCastro) and wrong (Scherff). The guy comes from a program that has produced big time at OL with a coach that’s now on staff, but then positional value will come into the argument...

I think Long is a roster lock for next year even coming off the injuries. Per Spotrac Sitton’s 2018 contract is an option year that must be exercised between 5 days after the SB and 5 days before the beginning of the league year. If we don’t pick up the option and don’t obviously replace him in FA then the Nelson speculation will become incredulous. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think Long is a roster lock for next year even coming off the injuries. Per Spotrac Sitton’s 2018 contract is an option year that must be exercised between 5 days after the SB and 5 days before the beginning of the league year. If we don’t pick up the option and don’t obviously replace him in FA then the Nelson speculation will become incredulous. 

Wouldn't it just be easier (and less expensive) to find a Center who can play in the draft or FA? Then we don't spend months arguing about if a Guard is worth a top 10 pick...

It's probably been stated, but I really excited about this draft because of how many QBs are going to go before 8.  Could be 3 of them depending on how the off-season goes.  That leaves us with a blue chip player for sure, especially of Pace continues his aggressiveness in getting the guy he wants.  Remember, 2 of his 3 drafts he's traded up in his first pick.  I see a trend there of him identifying a guy he wants pre-draft, and then doing what he needs to get him.  I'd be lying if I thought it was Floyd or Trubisky, though. 

I gotta start scouting some college players soon.  Didn't have much chance this regular season. 

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not big on taking top 10 picks that have physical limitations. He is never getting taller.

Physical limitations?  I didn't know being 6'1 and 225 lbs was a bad thing.  Once this kid hits an NFL training program expect that weight and muscle mass to jump up.

For comparison Myles Jack is 6'1 240 lbs. Navorro Bowman 6'0 240 lbs.  Thomas Davis 6'1 235 lbs.  Danny Trevethan 6'1 240 lbs.  Ryan Shazier 6'1 230 lbs.  Eric Kendricks 6'0 230 lbs.  I could go on....

18 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Physical limitations?  I didn't know being 6'1 and 225 lbs was a bad thing.  Once this kid hits an NFL training program expect that weight and muscle mass to jump up.

For comparison Myles Jack is 6'1 240 lbs. Navorro Bowman 6'0 240 lbs.  Thomas Davis 6'1 235 lbs.  Danny Trevethan 6'1 240 lbs.  Ryan Shazier 6'1 230 lbs.  Eric Kendricks 6'0 230 lbs.  I could go on....

None of the guys listed were top 10 picks. Only 2 were 1st round picks.

He is listed at 6'1", prepare yourself for him to be 5'11".

I am reluctant to daft an ILB in the top 10 who will struggle to physically cover TEs.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

None of the guys listed were top 10 picks. Only 2 were 1st round picks.

He is listed at 6'1", prepare yourself for him to be 5'11".

I am reluctant to daft an ILB in the top 10 who will struggle to physically cover TEs.

Just like everyone thought that both Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky weren't going to crack 6'1 last year huh?

Let's see what he measures in at the combine. And even though those guys listed weren't top10 picks they are all excellent players who in hindsight I would take in the top-10.  If not for Myles Jack injury concerns pre draft he would have gone top-10 for sure.

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Zach Thomas never got taller either and if you offered me him at 22 years old for the 8th overall pick I would rip your hand off.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Just like everyone thought that both Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky weren't going to crack 6'1 last year huh?

Let's see what he measures in at the combine. And even though those guys listed weren't top10 picks they are all excellent players who in hindsight I would take in the top-10.  If not for Myles Jack injury concerns pre draft he would have gone top-10 for sure.

I always like to go back to Rivals.com or Scout.com and see their measurements coming out of highscool...Rivals have Smith at 6-0"...Scout had him at 6-1"...if he is 6ft I would still be all for it due to the guys athletic ability and explosiveness...I think he rocks up at the combine around 6'1/2" 233lbs...perfectly fine for a modern day LB...

DT59 coming out was 6002 237lbs.

32 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Zach Thomas never got taller either and if you offered me him at 22 years old for the 8th overall pick I would rip your hand off.

The exception, not the rule.

He also did not play in the era of Gronk and Kelce.

I like Smith would be happy with him on the team, but in the top 10 you need to check all the boxes.

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The exception, not the rule.

He also did not play in the era of Gronk and Kelce.

I like Smith would be happy with him on the team, but in the top 10 you need to check all the boxes.

He played in the Era of Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez 

Archived