8th pick in the draft

Rogerthat

On 2/19/2018 at 11:53 PM, Sugashane said:

That's what I have seen too, but he is young and talented enough he may be able to become a stud at whatever he is coached up to be. He sadly doesn't get allowed to rush the passer very often.

Against BC he was asked to mirror the QB a lot and drop into coverage, but several times he makes a run read and even if he doesn't make the play he turns the RB back to the pursuing defenders. He only really rushes a few times, looks like he is told to contain as a priority as he usually keeps his outside arm free, but when he does get to pin his ears back he has solid closing speed. Gets to sidelines really well and doesn't show dead feet, he reads and reacts pretty quickly for being so young. Plus he doesn't shy from lineman, he goes  right at them.

He isn't a finished product, no doubt, but to me he is checking off a lot of boxes.

Awesome, I’ll check out Va Tech when I have some time.

Based on the scouting report alone, he seems like a Ryan Pace 1st round pick. Elite physical traits, productive, but raw.

ILB is sort of the position nobody is talking about with the Bears. I don’t know that Kwiatkoski is enough to solidify that position.

18 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

Awesome, I’ll check out Va Tech when I have some time.

Based on the scouting report alone, he seems like a Ryan Pace 1st round pick. Elite physical traits, productive, but raw.

ILB is sort of the position nobody is talking about with the Bears. I don’t know that Kwiatkoski is enough to solidify that position.

That is one thing I like about him.  He can play OLB or OLB IMO. I like the idea of having a nickel with :

3 DL down - Edmunds, Trevathan and Floyd all standing at LB

You can put 3 DLs rushing and Fangio could send any of the LBs at any point on a blitz through any gap, with a DL stunt, etc. That offers a lot of versatility while using Fangios penchant for a 4 man rush. Floyd is actually the worst cover back there, and that is a pretty decent option for limited coverage responsibilities I think. 

On 2018-02-17 at 2:38 PM, Blaize4488 said:

Per Ben Albright, Bills looking to move up. Get it done, Pace!

My guess is they get ahead

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

That is one thing I like about him.  He can play OLB or OLB IMO. I like the idea of having a nickel with :

3 DL down - Edmunds, Trevathan and Floyd all standing at LB

You can put 3 DLs rushing and Fangio could send any of the LBs at any point on a blitz through any gap, with a DL stunt, etc. That offers a lot of versatility while using Fangios penchant for a 4 man rush. Floyd is actually the worst cover back there, and that is a pretty decent option for limited coverage responsibilities I think. 

My guess is what happens with Fuller will determine a ton of what happens at 8. If he leaves and we don’t sign a top level replacement I think Jackson and Ward become serious targets, maybe even likely targets.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

My guess is what happens with Fuller will determine a ton of what happens at 8. If he leaves and we don’t sign a top level replacement I think Jackson and Ward become serious targets, maybe even likely targets.

I agree, but I also think the likelihood we don’t either keep Fuller in some capacity or replace him with a top FA corner is very low. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree, but I also think the likelihood we don’t either keep Fuller in some capacity or replace him with a top FA corner is very low. 

Exactly. I think at minimum Fuller will get tagged unless his agent says "we don't care what you offer, he doesn't want to be here". I don't think that's the case at all. 

Really if you look at him bring the most targeted corner in football, his coverage was excellent. You wish for more INTs of course but his PBUs and QB rating against were damned good. 

23 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If they can land someone better than that would swing things, but that is far from a certainty.

It is a deeper CB market in free agency, but  I would find it a little odd that they pass on paying Fuller big money, who they know, so they can pay Malcolm Butler huge money.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

If they can land someone better than that would swing things, but that is far from a certainty.

It is a deeper CB market in free agency, but  I would find it a little odd that they pass on paying Fuller big money, who they know, so they can pay Malcolm Butler huge money.

They would have to have already not tagged or extended him before they could explore signing anyone else though and I just don’t see that happening. I suppose they could use the transition tag which gives him a true right to get what he can on the market (since we are due nothing if we let him leave) but gives us match rights on whatever the market would set for him. We have the cap space to avoid any poison pills or front loaded deals. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

They would have to have already not tagged or extended him before they could explore signing anyone else though and I just don’t see that happening. I suppose they could use the transition tag which gives him a true right to get what he can on the market (since we are due nothing if we let him leave) but gives us match rights on whatever the market would set for him. We have the cap space to avoid any poison pills or front loaded deals. 

I think they should tag him. Try and work out a deal for 12/season. If not eat the over pay for a year and try again in 2019.

I am not sure what they will do. I was surprised last season when they didn’t tag Jeffery and then didn’t get a Chance to match his offer.

Just finished up watching Edmunds vs. Miami 2017, Clemson 2017, and Boston College 2016. I'm impressed with his pursuit to the ball, his experience dropping in zone locks him in as a first rounder since he can be a three-down LB, and he has rare H/W/S of course. WAY too much is being made of this supposed pass-rush ability I keep hearing about. He's also a little indecisive and loses track of the ball in key moments.

I like Roquan Smith way better than Edmunds. Yeah, he's undersized, but he's way more decisive and tracks the ball better than Edmunds.

Again, as I've noted, I've been very, very wrong about guys like Bud Dupree and Anthony Barr, so...

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think they should tag him. Try and work out a deal for 12/season. If not eat the over pay for a year and try again in 2019.

I am not sure what they will do. I was surprised last season when they didn’t tag Jeffery and then didn’t get a Chance to match his offer.

If they can’t extend him they need to tag him in one manner or the other IMO. Even at $17M or whatever it would have been I was surprised Alshon didn’t get tagged last year. 

1 minute ago, IronMike84 said:

Just finished up watching Edmunds vs. Miami 2017, Clemson 2017, and Boston College 2016. I'm impressed with his pursuit to the ball, his experience dropping in zone locks him in as a first rounder since he can be a three-down LB, and he has rare H/W/S of course. WAY too much is being made of this supposed pass-rush ability I keep hearing about. He's also a little indecisive and loses track of the ball in key moments.

I like Roquan Smith way better than Edmunds. Yeah, he's undersized, but he's way more decisive and tracks the ball better than Edmunds.

Again, as I've noted, I've been very, very wrong about guys like Bud Dupree and Anthony Barr, so...

I really like Leighton Vander Esch personally in round 2. If we end up moving back to the mid teens or so though I’d be totally fine with taking any of Roquan, Edmunds if he’s still there or Rahsaan Evans. I don’t think it’s our biggest need by any stretch but I keep coming back to Baltimore taking CJ Mosley in the first when it wasn’t a big need for them either and how he’s been such an asset there, and also to how Fangio’s great D was built around two excellent and versatile ILB as much as anything else. 

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I really like Leighton Vander Esch personally in round 2. If we end up moving back to the mid teens or so though I’d be totally fine with taking any of Roquan, Edmunds if he’s still there or Rahsaan Evans. I don’t think it’s our biggest need by any stretch but I keep coming back to Baltimore taking CJ Mosley in the first when it wasn’t a big need for them either and how he’s been such an asset there, and also to how Fangio’s great D was built around two excellent and versatile ILB as much as anything else. 

I may have said it here before (I'm in and out here and so busy when I'm not here that I can't remember), but ILB is a really sneaky need for the Bears. Trevethan has only started 9 games in 2016 and 12 in 2017, albeit one was lost to suspension. I don't want to tag him as "injury prone," but nonetheless 21 out of 32 possible starts, 65%, and the defense is noticeably worse when he's out of the lineup. Nothing against Kwiatkoski, but it would be really nice to get another playmaker in that position group.

I think replacing Fuller with Butler is a clear upgrade. I love what Fuller did this season but substance and injuries I think are gunna scare Pace. Butler fits Fangios CB mold to a tee minus an inch or two. His ability to switch between zone and man is too notch. 

A DB duo of Malcolm Butler and Denzel Ward for the next 5 years sounds awfully nice. Potential to be the best in the NFL

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Edmunds would more of a pick for his upside and potential then him being a finished product.  Roquan Smith is undersized but so is Kuechley. As long as a player is good it doesn't matter.

Archived