Ranking/Evaluating the '18 QBs: Learning from Mistakes

Mind Character

200.gif#2-grid1

@LETSGOBROWNIES You make me sick of myself....the urge to long, no quality posts in response to even clear trolling is always too strong...

----------------------------------------------------------------

(Exercise) Point based ranking system of the 2018 QBs: Assign points (1-4 points; 1 point to the QB that ranks last in that Ability Category, 4 points to the QB that ranks first in that Ability category).

**The Results surprised me and had me rethink some of my general assumptions and impressions about the QBs and how far they are from one another in terms of value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QBs in Consideration (Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen).

***Caveat is in reality not all categories would be weighted equally/same. That is, some mean more than others, but for the exercises sake will treat them as equal.***

Categories/Winning QB Indices::

• Winners Mentality/Resiliency Traits: Grit/resilience in face of adversity, strength of will (do teammates and all around him feel he's an undeniable winning force), work ethic
    • 1. Baker Mayfield (4 points): Self made walk-on player, had blue collar jobs, teammates believe he's an undeniable force, film room junkie.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Working class family upbringing, had blue collar jobs since he was young, family w/o money at times before business success, teammates believe he's an undeniable force, film room junkie.
    • 3. Josh Allen (2): Undervalued, self-made JUCO and FBS player, lived on low budged and had blue collar jobs. teammates have ultimate belief in him
    • 4. Josh Rosen (1): Entitled, rich family, no childhood or youth struggle, country club tennis player lifer, teammates love him for his political stances, teammates believe in him, not known as the biggest film junkie and worker off the field.
  • Pocket Acumen: Pocket poise, blitz/pressure avoidance movement (side steps, up steps, strength to shrug off defenders, subtle movement to reset to a throwing platform), eye level under pressure, ability to sense back side pressure and sack/fumble.
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Really adept at pocket foot work and side step and subtle platform displacement maneuvers. Calm demeanor in the pocket with great eye level. average job at feeling back side pressure and sack/fumble.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Tremendous poise although fled the pocket more so this year based on a shaky OLine, the best of the bunch at quick avoidance and reset to another platform, eyes always down the field. Gets sped up at times, poor job at feeling back side pressure and sack/fumble.
    • 3. Baker Mayfield (2): Great within pocket mobility. Eye level goes toward defense when the pressure is on. Doesn't see windows when interior pressure is on and doesn't always do the best resetting with sound foot work. Never experiences back side pressure and sack/fumble due to elite pass protection and offensive scheme
    • 4. Josh Allen (1): Unseasoned footwork and presence in the pocket. Flees the pocket before even sensing backside pressure.
  • Outside of Pocket Creativity: Ability to pickup first downs, extend plays, and throw accurately outside of the pocket.
    • 1. Josh Allen (4 points): Unparalled out of the pocket playmaker; with uncanny deep ball accuracy on the run.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Wow plays and really good down  field accuracy and instinct for out of pocket playmaking.
    • 3. Baker Mayfield (2): Really good and lethal when scrambling to the right, good accuracy down field when creating; however, is often inaccurate down field when scrambling to the right.
    • 4. Josh Rosen (1): Wins by quick release game and does not have the athleticism or play traits to win outside the pocket.
  • Arm Talent: Ability to throw off platform and different arm angles, general arm strength, pinpoint accuracy ability, touch throw ability, down field accuracy, WOW throw ability, Quick release, explosive throwing motion, Compact Delivery ability
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Has in all except big time arm strength, but everything else about his arm is elite.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Explosive albeit elongated release with uncanny deep ball accuracy.
    • 3. Josh Allen (2): Routinely makes WOW favre like throws when out of the pocket, but has serious accuracy issues from pocket platform
    • 4. Baker Mayfield (1): Compact delivery, plus arm, won't make the WOW throw down the boundary but is an amazing accurate thrower down the seem and over the middle on play action.
  • Feet/Arm Mechanics: Does the QB overstride?, Proper weight transfer, foot/patter rhythm to process through routes,
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Textbook, prototype mechanics. A thing of beauty.
    • 2. Baker Mayfield (3 points): Won't get credit for fundamental weight transfer and sound upper body throwing mechanics.
    • 3. Josh Allen (2): Great throwing motion, but is all over the place and inconsistent, overstriding is aserious issue
    • 4. Sam Darnold (1): Elongated release, drops the ball down too low, gets happy feet at times, poor mechanics cause him to miss some easy throws.
  • Processing of the game: Slow or Fast Mental processors/eyes, anticipation ability, Clutch Factor, ability to not freeze up and seize up mental processing due to cognitive load or pressure, ability to identify mismatches, blitz recognition, able to see through traffic down field
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Doesn't always locate the blitz or account for pressure even in easy situations, the best of the bunch at identifying mismatches and getting the offense out of bad plays.Anticipation thrower extraordianire, has good clutch factor
    • 2. Baker Mayfield (3 points): Very fast at identifying where to go with the ball, and a great anticipation thrower on crossing routes over the middle. poor anticipation thrower on all other routes.
    • 3. Sam Darnold (2): Clutch factor is off the charts, gets fooled by defensive disguises and does not locate the apparent mismatches, blitz recognition is average at best, sees the game and works through progressions down the field with poise and efficiency, double clutches and unsure of his throws way too much.
    • 4. Josh Allen (1): More of a see it throw it player than an anticipator, mental process seizes up under the blitz.
  • Football Knowledge: Understanding of blitzes, defensive, how to get out of bad play calls, ability to identify mismatches, situational football awareness
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Was given the full reigns of the offense and makes timely correct at the line adjustments.
    • 2. Josh Allen (3 points): Makes great at the line calls to get out of a bad play or flip the run for positive gains.
    • 3. Baker Mayfield (2): Check with me offense limits the power to change plays, but does a good job checking into runs
    • 4. Sam Darnold (1): Checks into run plays but either doesn't have the authority or simply doesn't recognize how to adjust protections to deal with a numbers disadvantage or a free rusher.
  • Ability to Translate Knowledge to Action: Can they take understanding from the meeting room to game play?
    • Not enough data available to come to even a speculative conclusion.
  • Leadership: Communication skills, willingness to sacrifice and accept the burden of leadership, commitment to leading by example on and off the field, in the meeting room and on the field.
    • 1. Baker Mayfield (4 points): Emotional/heart beat of a team, fiery competitive spirit ignites excellence and fight in teammates, diligent working in the meeting rooms and the field rooms.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Hard worker, diligent study habits, organizes WRs and TEs for extra work, not committed in the weight room, not as outspoken of a leader, teammates love his lead by example mentality.
    • 3. Josh Allen (2): Works at it in the film room and teammates love his weekly "state of the offense" meetings. Fiery competitor
    • 4. Josh Rosen (1): Teammates generally love/respect him along with his openness on his politics, coaches and football traditionalist conservatives don't, that aside Rosen is not a football junkie, and doesn't organize the skill positions for extra film sessions according to people around the program, doesn't put time in the weight room, and sees football as something he enjoys doing but not something he's committed to with a deep deep passion, some teammates recognize that and in the pros it could be an issue.
  • General Personality Characteristics: Likability, Trustworthiness, Conscientiousness, etc
    • 1. Baker Mayfield (4 points): One of the boys, loved by all teammates irrespective of cultural/ethnic background, bonds deeply with players from low socioeconomic backgrounds, can speak/get along with anyone on the team.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): More of a stay to oneself guy, but his humility and quiet candidness has bonded him to all his teammates.
    • 3. Josh Rosen (2): Arrogant to a detriment at times, although liked by a lot of teammates he has been described as sheltered/unaware of certain realities and as a result has been known to make ignorant humor/jokes that rub some teammates the wrong way.
    • 4. Josh Allen (1) Some teammates reportedly feel at times he acts like he's the big fish in a little pond.
  • Off-Field/Availability Concerns: Will they be suspended, will their attitude alienate other players in the locker room.
    • 1. Baker Mayfield (- 4 points): Pattern of issues with self control and alcohol that can't simply be attributed to "being young in college"
    • 2. Josh Rosen (- 3 points): Will his commitment to football be questioned? Will he butt heads with coaches? Can he be a Ceo of a team and accept responsibility for the teams mistakes?
    • 4. Josh Allen (-2): Some immaturity issues when it comes to accepting blame for teams mistakes resulting in exposing his teammates to criticism
    • 4. Sam Darnold (-0): No apparent red flags.

POINT TOTALS ===

Baker Mayfield 25- 4= 21

Josh Allen 18- 2 = 16

Sam Darnold 22- 0= 22

Josh Rosen 27- 3= 24

Without Subtractions Ranking:

1. Josh Rosen (27)

2. Baker Mayfield (24)

3. Sam Darnold (22)

4. Josh Allen (18)

Point total ranking:

1. Josh Rosen: 24

2. Sam Darnold: 22

3. Baker Mayfield: 21

4. Josh Allen: 16

Surprises & Conclusions from the Exercise:

1. I thought Josh Allen would finish a lot higher in point total based on my subjective general opinions about him.

2. As a guy that thinks that Sam Darnold is clearly the guy from a subjective standpoint, I didn't think that Baker Mayfield would be so close to Darnold in terms of my ascribed value (arbitrary of course) point system. There's was one point difference between the two, but I clearly feel Darnold is on a different level than Baker. Is that because I value certain categories more? Is it because this exercise is obviously flawed, and bullsh*t in line with all my other long nonquality posts? What are we doing on this planet?

3. What does it say about my thoughts regarding why I subjectively feel Darnold is the one over Rosen and Mayfield although Rosen/Mayfield finished higher in most of my categories? The exercise helped me understand why don't I like him as much relatively speaking.

4. Might we be okay if we draft one of the top 3? Is it time to hop on the Baker Mayfield train.

5. It's hard to quantify belief but it's clear that my belief in some QBs over others stems from overvaluing dependability, off field intangibles, grit, and poise while I'm willing to forgive certain issues as long as I believe they can be improved upon (that is, 4 years later the QB can turn the weakness into a strength).

--------------------------------

I overvalued certain attributes/qualities while undervaluing others when it came to the QB classes the last 2 years.

Globally, when it came to Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz I seriously undervalued the strength of their wills and in Watson's case his grit.

They both are apex leaders and rally an unquestioned belief in winning and work ethic from their teammates.

While I felt and said repeatedly that both would be pro-bowl QBs in the right system, I worried about down the field accuracy for both (to a lesser extent with Wentz).. and in Wastson's case felt he was best suited for a west coast pick and stick offense resulting in a slowed rate of progression for him to ascend to pro-bowl QB impact ability.

His creativity (Watson's) in the pocket and arm velocity down field was a force in the NFL right away.

My only issue with Wentz was his injury history and arm mechanics.

Key Lesson Learned: DON'T undervalue personal will, grit, and character intangibles. When those are elite along with exceptional athletic ability and throwing talent, growth and work ethic will lead to a winning QB. POCKET POISE is the greatest indicator of immediate success and can cover up a lot of issues.

Deshone Kizer: Kizer's misfires and accuracy was more horrendous than I ever could have though. It's still too early to call Kizer a misevaluation no matter what anyone thinks. I knew this year would be exactly what happened (that is, an utter catastrophe) if Kizer started his first year, especially after the psychological toll and mental anguish he went through his last year at Notre Dame.

Jared Goff: I thought Goff was QB1 in 2016 and was unfazed by his rookie struggles as he had no OL or talent around him. He has showed his superior accuracy, pocket awareness, and blitz avoidance, and deep ball touch.

Davis webb is still trash

------------------

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I overvalued certain attributes/qualities while undervaluing others when it came to the QB classes the last 2 years.

Globally, when it came to Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz I seriously undervalued the strength of their wills and in Watson's case his grit.

They both are apex leaders and rally an unquestioned belief in winning and work ethic from their teammates.

While I felt and said repeatedly that both would be pro-bowl QBs in the right system, I worried about down the field accuracy for both (to a lesser extent with Wentz).. and in Wastson's case felt he was best suited for a west coast pick and stick offense resulting in a slowed rate of progression for him to ascend to pro-bowl QB impact ability.

His creativity (Watson's) in the pocket and arm velocity down field was a force in the NFL right away.

Key Lesson Learned: DON'T undervalue personal will, grit, and character intangibles. When those are elite along with exceptional athletic ability and throwing talent, growth and work ethic will lead to a winning QB. POCKET POISE is the greatest indicator of immediate success and can cover up a lot of issues.

Deshone Kizer: Kizer's misfires and accuracy was more horrendous than I ever could have though. It's still too early to call Kizer a misevaluation no matter what anyone thinks. I knew this year would be exactly what happened (that is, an utter catastrophe) if Kizer started his first year, especially after the psychological toll and mental anguish he went through his last year at Notre Dame.

Jared Goff: I thought Goff was QB1 in 2016 and was unfazed by his rookie struggles as he had no OL or talent around him. He has showed his superior accuracy, pocket awareness, and blitz avoidance, and deep ball touch.

------------------

2018 QB Class

Gritt, pocket poise, strength of will,

QB evaluation is horrendous.

Kessler and McCoy were college ballers without the right arm talent. McCoy was a great leader for us, but didn't have it at this level. Both suffered from being to small in their frame to play in the NFL. Kessler could be a leader.

Kessler would be a top 10 NFL QB with a little more arm strength, a little more determination and a thicker body and more mobility, Ithink he will be a great spot starter. 

Weeden was a huge bust. He had great arm talent but was terrible in the pocket, under pressure. Also he couldn't throw with touch, he had to throw th ball like a baseball pitcher. He was a pitcher playing QB. I was skeptical on him. No NFL characteristics outside of throwing.  

Quinn was a prototypical QB. Great body, decent athlete 4 year college player. Smart. Couldn't throw the ball. Probably could be a leader, seemed a bit pissy. 

DA, terrible in the pocket, had a mega cannon arm, relied on Braylon Edwards at peak performance and a very good offensive cast. overall not accurate.

Charlie Frye, great guy hard worker, a concussion waiting to happen, below average arm and talent. didn't have a leaders personality. 

Tim couch, great athlete, amazing arm, hard worker, football player. 
too much pressure, terrible coach, fat oline, no running game, no defense.

Could of been a top 5 QB with a half competent organization. 

@Kiwibrown Great points, Kiwi.

That's why the intangible and character piece along w/ knowledge has to win out and be central.

Pocket poise, and blitz avoidance movement in the pocket with eyes down the field when the blitz is on has always been my key focus with QBs.

Kizer had/has elite blitz avoidance movement (side steps, up steps, strength shrugging off defenders, subtle movement to reset to a throwing platform) BUT his pocket poise is absolute toilet water and horrendous.

Goff had the best of both worlds in his Cal tape. Watson and Wentz were also great in that regard to a lesser extent than Goff.

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

My Key Evaluation Indices for QBs

• Winning Mentality Traits: Grit/resilience in face of adversity, strength of will (do teammates and all around him feel he's an undeniable winning force), work ethic,
  • Pocket Acumen: Pocket poise, blitz/pressure avoidance movement (side steps, up steps, strength to shrug off defenders, subtle movement to reset to a throwing platform), eye level under pressure.
  • Outside of Pocket Creativity: Ability to pickup first downs, extend plays, and throw accurately outside of the pocket.
  • Arm Talent: Ability to throw off platform and different arm angles, general arm strength, pinpoint accuracy ability, touch throw ability, down field accuracy, WOW throw ability, Quick release, explosive throwing motion, Compact Delivery ability
  • Feet/Arm Mechanics: Does the QB overstride?, Proper weight transfer, foot/patter rhythm to process through routes,
  • Processing of the game: Slow or Fast Mental processors/eyes, ability to not freeze up and seize up mental processing due to cognitive load or pressure, ability to identify mismatches, blitz recognition
  • Football Knowledge: Understanding of blitzes, defensive, how to get out of bad play calls, ability to identify mismatches, situational football awareness
  • Ability to Translate Knowledge to Action: Can they take understanding from the meeting room to game play?
  • Leadership: Communication skills, willingness to sacrifice and accept the burden of leadership, committment to leading by example on and off the field, in the meeting room and on the field.
  • General Personality Characteristics: Likability, Trustworthiness, Close Mindedness

------------------------------------------------------

------------------

When applying the framework to the 2018 QBs

Sam Darnold checks off most of the categories well, but Rosen does so in tremendous fashion all except for the critical categories of grit, and having demonstrated resilience in the face of life adversity.

• Winning Mentality Traits: Grit/resilience in face of adversity, strength of will (do teammates and all around him feel he's an undeniable winning force), work ethic,
  • Pocket Acumen: Pocket poise, blitz/pressure avoidance movement (side steps, up steps, strength to shrug off defenders, subtle movement to reset to a throwing platform), eye level under pressure.
  • Processing of the game: Slow or Fast Mental processors/eyes, ability to not freeze up and seize up mental processing due to cognitive load or pressure, ability to identify mismatches, blitz recognition
  • Leadership: Communication skills, willingness to sacrifice and accept the burden of leadership, committment to leading by example on and off the field, in the meeting room and on the field.
  • General Personality Characteristics: Likability, Trustworthiness, Close Mindedness

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So when can we expect a detailed report of each of the qb’s with the traits applied?

[Said w/ Heavy New Yorker Accent] 

Oh...Frankie...look at this....we got a smart guy over here... well yous....I got ya detail report right here

200.gif#2-grid1

Pretty simple "past lessons" in my opinion:

Tim Couch: Maybe protect him so that he's not an abused animal before he's 23 years old. Cowering, gun shy, and broken

Manziel, Weeden, Quinn: When you draft someone in the late first who is projected to be about the 3rd-4th best QB prospect in his own draft, don't be surprised when he plays like the 3rd/4th best QB prospect in the draft

Kizer: When everyone, including his own college coach, says that he's not even close to ready, don't throw him to the wolves and assume that his own coach in college is angry with him/rooting for him to fail...maybe take him at his own words: See, Pete Carroll with Mark Sanchez

Every other QB drafted in Rounds 3-7 or UDFA: Some teams like the Patriots, Cowboys, and Seahawks find their Franchise QB in rounds 3-6. They are an enigma and not the norm.

It's pretty simple: If you have a shot at the #1 QB in the entire draft, GET HIM. Don't trade out of the spot, don't pass on him for a consensus inferior prospect...JUST TAKE HIM.

How about don't draft QBs with obvious major flaws that you think you can fix because you are clearly smarter than the rest of the league. Charlie Frye, Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Cody Kessler all had obvious major flaws that even the average football fan could see while they were in College. Brady Quinn to a lesser extent. I don't think it was as easy to see his flaws in College but the rest of the NFL passed on him for a reason and the Browns thought they could out smart everyone else.

200.gif#2-grid1

@LETSGOBROWNIES You make me sick of myself....the urge to long, no quality posts in response to even clear trolling is always too strong...

----------------------------------------------------------------

(Exercise) Point based ranking system of the 2018 QBs: Assign points (1-4 points; 1 point to the QB that ranks last in that Ability Category, 4 points to the QB that ranks first in that Ability category).

**The Results surprised me and had me rethink some of my general assumptions and impressions about the QBs and how far they are from one another in terms of value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QBs in Consideration (Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen).

***Caveat is in reality not all categories would be weighted equally/same. That is, some mean more than others, but for the exercises sake will treat them as equal.***

Categories/Winning QB Indices::

• Winners Mentality/Resiliency Traits: Grit/resilience in face of adversity, strength of will (do teammates and all around him feel he's an undeniable winning force), work ethic
    • 1. Baker Mayfield (4 points): Self made walk-on player, had blue collar jobs, teammates believe he's an undeniable force, film room junkie.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Working class family upbringing, had blue collar jobs since he was young, family w/o money at times before business success, teammates believe he's an undeniable force, film room junkie.
    • 3. Josh Allen (2): Undervalued, self-made JUCO and FBS player, lived on low budged and had blue collar jobs. teammates have ultimate belief in him
    • 4. Josh Rosen (1): Entitled, rich family, no childhood or youth struggle, country club tennis player lifer, teammates love him for his political stances, teammates believe in him, not known as the biggest film junkie and worker off the field.
  • Pocket Acumen: Pocket poise, blitz/pressure avoidance movement (side steps, up steps, strength to shrug off defenders, subtle movement to reset to a throwing platform), eye level under pressure, ability to sense back side pressure and sack/fumble.
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Really adept at pocket foot work and side step and subtle platform displacement maneuvers. Calm demeanor in the pocket with great eye level. average job at feeling back side pressure and sack/fumble.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Tremendous poise although fled the pocket more so this year based on a shaky OLine, the best of the bunch at quick avoidance and reset to another platform, eyes always down the field. Gets sped up at times, poor job at feeling back side pressure and sack/fumble.
    • 3. Baker Mayfield (2): Great within pocket mobility. Eye level goes toward defense when the pressure is on. Doesn't see windows when interior pressure is on and doesn't always do the best resetting with sound foot work. Never experiences back side pressure and sack/fumble due to elite pass protection and offensive scheme
    • 4. Josh Allen (1): Unseasoned footwork and presence in the pocket. Flees the pocket before even sensing backside pressure.
    • 1. Josh Allen (4 points): Unparalled out of the pocket playmaker; with uncanny deep ball accuracy on the run.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Wow plays and really good down  field accuracy and instinct for out of pocket playmaking.
    • 3. Baker Mayfield (2): Really good and lethal when scrambling to the right, good accuracy down field when creating; however, is often inaccurate down field when scrambling to the right.
    • 4. Josh Rosen (1): Wins by quick release game and does not have the athleticism or play traits to win outside the pocket.
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Has in all except big time arm strength, but everything else about his arm is elite.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Explosive albeit elongated release with uncanny deep ball accuracy.
    • 3. Josh Allen (2): Routinely makes WOW favre like throws when out of the pocket, but has serious accuracy issues from pocket platform
    • 4. Baker Mayfield (1): Compact delivery, plus arm, won't make the WOW throw down the boundary but is an amazing accurate thrower down the seem and over the middle on play action.
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Textbook, prototype mechanics. A thing of beauty.
    • 2. Baker Mayfield (3 points): Won't get credit for fundamental weight transfer and sound upper body throwing mechanics.
    • 3. Josh Allen (2): Great throwing motion, but is all over the place and inconsistent, overstriding is aserious issue
    • 4. Sam Darnold (1): Elongated release, drops the ball down too low, gets happy feet at times, poor mechanics cause him to miss some easy throws.
  • Processing of the game: Slow or Fast Mental processors/eyes, anticipation ability, Clutch Factor, ability to not freeze up and seize up mental processing due to cognitive load or pressure, ability to identify mismatches, blitz recognition, able to see through traffic down field
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Doesn't always locate the blitz or account for pressure even in easy situations, the best of the bunch at identifying mismatches and getting the offense out of bad plays.Anticipation thrower extraordianire, has good clutch factor
    • 2. Baker Mayfield (3 points): Very fast at identifying where to go with the ball, and a great anticipation thrower on crossing routes over the middle. poor anticipation thrower on all other routes.
    • 3. Sam Darnold (2): Clutch factor is off the charts, gets fooled by defensive disguises and does not locate the apparent mismatches, blitz recognition is average at best, sees the game and works through progressions down the field with poise and efficiency, double clutches and unsure of his throws way too much.
    • 4. Josh Allen (1): More of a see it throw it player than an anticipator, mental process seizes up under the blitz.
    • 1. Josh Rosen (4 points): Was given the full reigns of the offense and makes timely correct at the line adjustments.
    • 2. Josh Allen (3 points): Makes great at the line calls to get out of a bad play or flip the run for positive gains.
    • 3. Baker Mayfield (2): Check with me offense limits the power to change plays, but does a good job checking into runs
    • 4. Sam Darnold (1): Checks into run plays but either doesn't have the authority or simply doesn't recognize how to adjust protections to deal with a numbers disadvantage or a free rusher.
    • Not enough data available to come to even a speculative conclusion.
  • Leadership: Communication skills, willingness to sacrifice and accept the burden of leadership, commitment to leading by example on and off the field, in the meeting room and on the field.
    • 1. Baker Mayfield (4 points): Emotional/heart beat of a team, fiery competitive spirit ignites excellence and fight in teammates, diligent working in the meeting rooms and the field rooms.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): Hard worker, diligent study habits, organizes WRs and TEs for extra work, not committed in the weight room, not as outspoken of a leader, teammates love his lead by example mentality.
    • 3. Josh Allen (2): Works at it in the film room and teammates love his weekly "state of the offense" meetings. Fiery competitor
    • 4. Josh Rosen (1): Teammates generally love/respect him along with his openness on his politics, coaches and football traditionalist conservatives don't, that aside Rosen is not a football junkie, and doesn't organize the skill positions for extra film sessions according to people around the program, doesn't put time in the weight room, and sees football as something he enjoys doing but not something he's committed to with a deep deep passion, some teammates recognize that and in the pros it could be an issue.
  • General Personality Characteristics: Likability, Trustworthiness, Conscientiousness, etc
    • 1. Baker Mayfield (4 points): One of the boys, loved by all teammates irrespective of cultural/ethnic background, bonds deeply with players from low socioeconomic backgrounds, can speak/get along with anyone on the team.
    • 2. Sam Darnold (3 points): More of a stay to oneself guy, but his humility and quiet candidness has bonded him to all his teammates.
    • 3. Josh Rosen (2): Arrogant to a detriment at times, although liked by a lot of teammates he has been described as sheltered/unaware of certain realities and as a result has been known to make ignorant humor/jokes that rub some teammates the wrong way.
    • 4. Josh Allen (1) Some teammates reportedly feel at times he acts like he's the big fish in a little pond.
  • Off-Field/Availability Concerns: Will they be suspended, will their attitude alienate other players in the locker room.
    • 1. Baker Mayfield (- 4 points): Pattern of issues with self control and alcohol that can't simply be attributed to "being young in college"
    • 2. Josh Rosen (- 3 points): Will his commitment to football be questioned? Will he butt heads with coaches? Can he be a Ceo of a team and accept responsibility for the teams mistakes?
    • 4. Josh Allen (-2): Some immaturity issues when it comes to accepting blame for teams mistakes resulting in exposing his teammates to criticism
    • 4. Sam Darnold (-0): No apparent red flags.

POINT TOTALS ===

Baker Mayfield 25- 4= 21

Josh Allen 18- 2 = 16

Sam Darnold 22- 0= 22

Josh Rosen 27- 3= 24

Without Subtractions Ranking:

1. Josh Rosen (27)

2. Baker Mayfield (24)

3. Sam Darnold (22)

4. Josh Allen (18)

Point total ranking:

1. Josh Rosen: 24

2. Sam Darnold: 22

3. Baker Mayfield: 21

4. Josh Allen: 16

Surprises & Conclusions from the Exercise:

1. I thought Josh Allen would finish a lot higher in point total based on my subjective general opinions about him.

2. As a guy that thinks that Sam Darnold is clearly the guy from a subjective standpoint, I didn't think that Baker Mayfield would be so close to Darnold in terms of my ascribed value (arbitrary of course) point system. There's was one point difference between the two, but I clearly feel Darnold is on a different level than Baker. Is that because I value certain categories more? Is it because this exercise is obviously flawed, and bullsh*t in line with all my other long nonquality posts? What are we doing on this planet?

3. What does it say about my thoughts regarding why I subjectively feel Darnold is the one over Rosen and Mayfield although Rosen/Mayfield finished higher in most of my categories? The exercise helped me understand why don't I like him as much relatively speaking.

4. Might we be okay if we draft one of the top 3? Is it time to hop on the Baker Mayfield train.

5. It's hard to quantify belief but it's clear that my belief in some QBs over others stems from overvaluing dependability, off field intangibles, grit, and poise while I'm willing to forgive certain issues as long as I believe they can be improved upon (that is, 4 years later the QB can turn the weakness into a strength).

--------------------------------

Archived