Ranking/Evaluating the '18 QBs: Learning from Mistakes

Mind Character

The raw poise, ability to create and extend plays, pocket calm, and intangibles of Deshaun Watson was incorrectly undervalued by me in comparison to how I overvalued his high number bad and inexplicable interceptions in an aggressive offense.

These same abilities and miscues are readily apparent in Sam Darnold.

We can't screw this one up.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

The raw poise, ability to create and extend plays, pocket calm, and intangibles of Deshaun Watson was incorrectly undervalued by me in comparison to how I overvalued his high number bad and inexplicable interceptions in an aggressive offense.

How would you rate the other guys compared to Darnold (not by a point system but by rating each from poor to great)? 

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Same with Winston, picks raised everyone’s eyebrows with him too.

Darnold has the superior size and arm strength that cannot be coached up. He has touch and accuracy as well that cannot be coached up.

His release, his reading of the defenses, and footwork can all be addressed and corrected. 

I'm putting a bit more value into the off field character issues. Darnold has none and is a positive in the locker room. That is another aspect of a player that can never be coached up. If you are a D bag in college then you will more than likely be one in the pros. Not saying they cannot lead teams but it is a hindrance and something they would need to grow up from. 

All that being said, I go with Sam Darnold over Rosen or Mayfield. Rosen seems like he doesn't want to be here and Mayfield is too immature to handle going 0-16 to 2-14. 

Now I think we need one of these impressive threads about all of the available Vet QBs. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar  

Something that I just started thinking about last night. Allen is up there as a prospect because of his size, arm strength and potential. Some rumors, none I believe, are that we could go him before Rosen or Darnold. Here's what I don't understand. What makes Allen a better prospect than Mason Rudolph? Rudolph has the size, he definitely has the arm, he's shown he can be accurate, something that Allen hasn't. SO what is it about Rudolph that don't have him up there with Rosen and Darnold? 

I honestly didn't pay much attention to him because there wasn't much talk, and what I did see was people who didn't care for him. I watched a ton of him yesterday and to me he looks the part. He looks like what we had hoped we drafted Kizer to be, a big, strong pocket passer who can take a hit and deliver, and who can make accurate throws all over the field. Something else that stands out for me is how confident and in command he sounds when he is being interviewed and in pressers. Maybe it means nothing, but when you hear Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers, etc. talking to the media, they all have this buzz factor that can't be ignored. 

Archived