Ted Thompson stepping aside from GM role/Will be in new position in Packers FO

GOGRIESE

On 1/8/2018 at 3:02 PM, JBURGE25 said:

I think he got promoted to EVP/Director of pro personnel but I may be wrong

No, that was Ball.  Eliot Wolf is basically being shown the door.  He needs to find another job, because Ball took his.  

On 1/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, gopherwrestler said:

With a new GM... and a chance to rebuild...

Would the Packer accept a trade from the Browns for Aaron Rodgers for #1 & #4 picks?

Throw in the following years first and it may be considered. Rodgers is worth more than that

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

No, that was Ball.  Eliot Wolf is basically being shown the door.  He needs to find another job, because Ball took his.  

He has a offer from the raiders and he just interviewed with the browns. Both organizations have packer former executives running the team.

On 1/1/2018 at 8:04 PM, CKSteeler said:

I never thought throwing dump offs to RB's in the flat was engineering a game winning drive myself, but I don't get to make those rules. Also of note, Tom Brady actually would have 6 Super Bowls if he could just throw a deep ball like Rodgers.

Brady would trust his receivers to catch contested deep balls like Rodgers if he had Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones and Adams instead of Welker, Edelman, Lafell, and Amendola.  He got Hogan and Cooks, and all of a sudden Brady has had the best or one of the best QBR in the NFL on deep passes.  Brady had Moss and all of a sudden he "learned" how to throw deep.

The Patriots are typically schematically designed to be a ball control offense.  Not a deep ball offense.  That's like complaining Antonio Brown is overrated because he doesn't throw more trick TD passes every year - it's just not something that he really is supposed to be doing.  

On 1/1/2018 at 8:11 PM, CKSteeler said:

Let's look at those deep passes against Arizona:

Very similar to the first 'hail marry' in this game. Rodgers bought time, rolled to his left, and created a throwing lane while throwing a ball that gave his receivers more than a hope and a prayer at making a play.

Versus Tom Brady's Super Bowl winning drive against the Rams in which, from my recollection, had a single vertical throw down field despite Bledsoe's now famous admonition to go out there and sling it. Everything else was a dump off. And he accomplished setting his offense up for a long FG with one of the most clutch kickers in NFL history.

Which actually required more skill?

I really don't understand the fascination with "deep balls" and how that is somehow more skillful.

What is more skillful?  Being Joe Flacco and closing your eyes and bombing it deep and hoping you get a 2 play drive TD?  Or being Tom Brady and consistently stringing together 10-15 play drives where you read the defense, set up mismatches, and elevate your teammates and put them into easy positions to succeed - notably this also has the effect of being able to get away with paying less to big name receivers like Antonio Brown and Julio Jones and spending more on defense [another reason why I laugh at the idiocy of Brady having the benefit of superior defenses - a large part of that is because the Patriots have had a lot of years where they had cow dung at WR for Brady to piece together].  

Deep passes, yes rely on the QB to be accurate, but there is a much greater emphasis/reliance on superior WR talent to adjust to the ball, break open, and/or catch a contested pass as opposed to a QB "dinking and dunking" is almost exclusively reliant on the QB making good reads and good decisions.

It's why a couple years ago when Palmer went down and the Cardinals had QBs like Skeleton(?), all they did was loft up hail marys and hope.  Because the coaching staff knew their QB wasn't capable of manufacturing long drives and they were just hoping Fitzgerald's talent would win them games.  

The whole notion it takes more skill for a QB to complete a deep pass is completely backwards and demonstrates zero understanding of football context or what it takes to actually be successful in the NFL.  Hell, even if you take the idiots route of saying there is more honor of deep passes, who gives two cents?  The Patriots have consistently had elite offenses under Brady in spite of a revolving door of players and mediocre talents.  Compare that to Rodgers who has had a loaded WR corps for nearly his entire career and some mediocre team production to go with it.

On 1/7/2018 at 4:27 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’d give up our entire draft for him. 

F it we’ve got like 120M in cap and a crap ton of new players from the last 2 drafts. 

You could give up every pick for the next 3 years, and the Packers would still laugh you off the phone.  Would be fun as hell to mock though.

Archived