Ted Thompson stepping aside from GM role/Will be in new position in Packers FO

GOGRIESE

Let's look at those deep passes against Arizona:

Very similar to the first 'hail marry' in this game. Rodgers bought time, rolled to his left, and created a throwing lane while throwing a ball that gave his receivers more than a hope and a prayer at making a play.

Versus Tom Brady's Super Bowl winning drive against the Rams in which, from my recollection, had a single vertical throw down field despite Bledsoe's now famous admonition to go out there and sling it. Everything else was a dump off. And he accomplished setting his offense up for a long FG with one of the most clutch kickers in NFL history.

Which actually required more skill?

6 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Making a play to send the game into OT is the exact definition of engineering a comeback. So QB’s only get credit when it’s a long drawn out drive? Come on. 

He threw up a prayer and Janis caught it. It doesn't have to be a long, drawn-out drive but anyone can complete a Hail Mary if they're lucky.

As a Vikings fan this is upsetting, but this is great news for Packers fans.

I think he's a bad GM. If you take away Rodgers, his draft record is really weak. I don't know what he tries to accomplish in his personnel decisions.

Just now, joru1000 said:

I think he's a bad GM. If you take away Rodgers, his draft record is really weak. I don't know what he tries to accomplish in his personnel decisions.

There's a lot wrong with the bolded.

(1) you can't take it away, that's dumb

(2) even if you did, this is false

Just now, CKSteeler said:

Let's look at those deep passes against Arizona:

Very similar to the first 'hail marry' in this game. Rodgers bought time, rolled to his left, and created a throwing lane while throwing a ball that gave his receivers more than a hope and a prayer at making a play.

Versus Tom Brady's Super Bowl winning drive against the Rams in which, from my recollection, had a single vertical throw down field despite Bledsoe's now famous admonition to go out there and sling it. Everything else was a dump off. And he accomplished setting his offense up for a long FG with one of the most clutch kickers in NFL history.

Which actually required more skill?

Strange that you'd even make that comparison.

Just now, Starless said:

He threw up a prayer and Janis caught it. It doesn't have to be a long, drawn-out drive but anyone can complete a Hail Mary if they're lucky.

Rodgers has proven his Hail Mary attempts aren’t just luck. You don’t have as much success as he does doing it just by being lucky. Having a strong and accurate arm isn’t luck. 

1 minute ago, joru1000 said:

Assuming your stance is spot on, what does that make the Vikings for signing all of Thompsons cast offs ?

1 minute ago, Starless said:

That's the actual thing. Rodgers didn't throw up a prayer, and you are ignoring that there were two long passes on that drive. On the one to Janis, Rodgers was getting hit upon release after he rolled out and escaped the Arizona pass rush. And that was a highly catchable ball in any circumstance. Not the throw up into a crowd and hope your receiver comes down with a batted ball variety.

Tom Brady, for one, is not capable of making either of those throws. Few QB's in NFL history actually are.

3 minutes ago, joru1000 said:

8 straight playoff appearances and 3 nfc championship games along with a ring is what he accomplished with his personnel decisions. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Strange that you'd even make that comparison.

I don't see how its strange at all. But let me reframe the argument. Which was more impressive quarterbacking to you - Tom Brady's game winning drive against St. Louis, or Rodgers against Arizona?

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

That's the actual thing. Rodgers didn't throw up a prayer, and you are ignoring that there were two long passes on that drive. On the one to Janis, Rodgers was getting hit upon release after he rolled out and escaped the Arizona pass rush. And that was a highly catchable ball in any circumstance. Not the throw up into a crowd and hope your receiver comes down with a batted ball variety.

There were more Cardinals than Packers around that ball...

Just now, Ketchup said:

8 straight playoff appearances and 3 nfc championship games along with a ring is what he accomplished with his personnel decisions. 

Rodgers is a MASSIVE reason for that. And he absolutely deserves a lot of credit for that. But you could argue with better drafting and cap management, it could be a lot more.

Just now, Starless said:

There were more Cardinals than Packers around that ball...

And...? He put it up in the one spot his receiver could get that ball cleanly and where the Cardinals would have to go through his guy to get it. There were two Cardinals there.

On the first one, Janis got behind the defense because of Rodgers and his ability to extend the play.

Archived