Ted Thompson stepping aside from GM role/Will be in new position in Packers FO

GOGRIESE

10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think it was more a case of Aaron Rodgers getting things rolling.  Had he spent more time in the weight room and less time in the yoga studio, he may not have gotten hurt this year.  He seems to be getting more brittle with each passing day.  It just goes to show how remarkable Brett Favre's ironman run was.

At least you're consistent.  There is NOTHING to support your claim that Rodgers spends less time in the weight room or that doing yoga has affected his ability to stay healthy.

21 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

While undoubtedly overrepresented on this site, the "In Ted We Trust" Packer fan crowd actually constitutes a minority of Packer fans.

The majority recognize Thompson has failed the organization the past 7 years and are celebrating not just Thompson moving on but Capers firing as well.

As usual, you're completely and utterly off base.  Shocker.  Most everyone recognized that TT's draft success had slipped in recent years.  The difference is most of the posters who said anything positive regarding TT weren't going to go just blindly into the offseason with the notion that anything is better than nothing.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

At least you're consistent.  There is NOTHING to support your claim that Rodgers spends less time in the weight room or that doing yoga has affected his ability to stay healthy.

Come on CWood, if he would've focused on getting some gainz in his collarbones and less on core strength and flexibility we wouldn't be in this predicament. Selfish Rodgers.

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Come on CWood, if he would've focused on getting some gainz in his collarbones and less on core strength and flexibility we wouldn't be in this predicament. Selfish Rodgers.

Gonna start a workout program for collarbones myself. There's so many too choose from, I'm not sure which are real and which are fake.

I've always wanted strong collarbones though. Haven't figured out how to flex them to do a rep yet. Gotta be a YouTube video out there on it.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As usual, you're completely and utterly off base.  Shocker.  Most everyone recognized that TT's draft success had slipped in recent years.  The difference is most of the posters who said anything positive regarding TT weren't going to go just blindly into the offseason with the notion that anything is better than nothing.

Not at all. There are folks posting in here that are simply defending Thompson, pretty much no matter what, and not really dissecting his history at all. 

Which is ridiculous. Last year's draft was very good (although rumor has it a Thompson-lite draft), but it was the best in a while. Clay Matthews continues to make top pass rusher money, and the only thing he excels at is making commercials. Baktiari is average, and injury prone, but he's now being paid like he's elite. There have been no real splash free agent signings since Woodson. 

Thompson simply wasn't very good at his job. Terrible? No. But lacking, surely. And those folks defending him in the thread here will be changing their tunes quickly if the next GM is an improvement on Thompson, as Rodgers is still young enough that any turn around with the franchise could produce any even greater level of sustained success. 

As a Bears fan, I'm not entirely pleased with that prospect, but it definitely exists. 

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Not at all. There are folks posting in here that are simply defending Thompson, pretty much no matter what, and not really dissecting his history at all. 

Which is ridiculous. Last year's draft was very good (although rumor has it a Thompson-lite draft), but it was the best in a while. Clay Matthews continues to make top pass rusher money, and the only thing he excels at is making commercials. Baktiari is average, and injury prone, but he's now being paid like he's elite. There have been no real splash free agent signings since Woodson. 

Thompson simply wasn't very good at his job. Terrible? No. But lacking, surely. And those folks defending him in the thread here will be changing their tunes quickly if the next GM is an improvement on Thompson, as Rodgers is still young enough that any turn around with the franchise could produce any even greater level of sustained success. 

As a Bears fan, I'm not entirely pleased with that prospect, but it definitely exists. 

What? That's just a terrible opinion that makes you look like you have no clue.  He's an elite pass blocking LT that has missed 6 games in 5 seasons.  We just recently signed Peppers in FA and he had 25 sacks for us

33 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

So much wrong here...

39 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Except Bahkitiari is the best OT in football...

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

A TON of assumptions being made here.

First off, you're assuming that TT was the one who made that call.  Based on Mike McCarthy's the last few weeks, he clearly wasn't happy with the play of the defense and I'd venture a guess to say that he was far more likely to be the one leading the change.  Not TT.  And it's been speculated since last offseason that there was already change underway, even if it wasn't official.  Both Gut and Wolf pulled their name from GM consideration last year, and they were as active in FA as they have under TT's watch.  That could easily have been Wolf/Gut/Ball pulling the strings with TT giving the "official" sign off.  Finally, the Adams and Linsley' extensions happen with or without TT in charge.

Your also making assumptions here too, no?

Either way, I'm not disregarding your point of view of this, you could very well be right on all accounts but I also think you're selling TT short. It's hard to believe that a man that has been with the same organization for 15 years(?) did not have any input whatsoever on any of those calls. Fifteen years, or whatever, earns alot of credibility in this league no matter what.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

So are you now disavowing your post "You look at [TT's] draft record and it stands up as well as anyone's" from earlier this year or was that a different CWood21 poster?

Just admit that Aaron's absence exposed Ted's roster for what it was, nothing better than the Browns (whom the Pack rallied from 14 down in the 4th to tie and then defeat in OT) and that the devotion to Ted turned out to be adoration of a false prophet.

Time for Pack fans to move on as getting rid of Ted (and Dom) means that there is at least hope that the organization will not waste even more of Aaron's Hall of Fame career by surrounding him with a bunch of JAGs as Ted did the past 7 years.

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

So are you now disavowing your post "You look at [TT's] draft record and it stands up as well as anyone's" from earlier this year or was that a different CWood21 poster?

Just admit that Aaron's absence exposed Ted's roster for what it was, nothing better than the Browns (whom the Pack rallied from 14 down in the 4th to tie and then defeat in OT) and that the devotion to Ted turned out to be adoration of a false prophet.

Time for Pack fans to move on as getting rid of Ted (and Dom) means that there is at least hope that the organization will not waste even more of Aaron's Hall of Fame career by surrounding him with a bunch of JAGs as Ted did the past 7 years.

False. You again fail to account for draft capital. TT had less and less capital to work with as he stacked success. Accounting for that, he continued to outdraft his peers.

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Your also making assumptions here too, no?

Either way, I'm not disregarding your point of view of this, you could very well be right on all accounts but I also think you're selling TT short. It's hard to believe that a man that has been with the same organization for 15 years(?) did not have any input whatsoever on any of those calls. Fifteen years, or whatever, earns alot of credibility in this league no matter what.

That's just the way it's usually done.  The HC hires/fires his own staff.  If the GM is having to fire the HC staff members then that HC is probably not long for the organization.

Just now, incognito_man said:

No, I'm disagreeing with you.

Got it, so you agree with Cwood that "Most everyone recognized that TT's draft success had slipped in recent years."

So do I.

In fact, most everyone recognizes that Ted's slippage as a drafter, coupled with his near complete lack of free agent activity and refusal to make player trades, is what led to a roster that had a 3-8 record without Aaron at QB in 2017.

Thank goodness Murph decided enough was enough and Ted's time was up.

Go Pack Go.

Archived