Ted Thompson stepping aside from GM role/Will be in new position in Packers FO

GOGRIESE

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:
4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I don't think Nakh is the best tackle in football.. He certainly is top 3 or 4 though with Trent Williams, Tyron Smith, and Joe Thomas

Hard to argue with placing that group in thd same top tier.  3 of them were top 10 picks, 1 was a 4th rounder.  Impressive what Bakhtiari has become.

Absolutely. One of the better picks of the last 5 years for sure considering the draft capital usually required to get a top flight left tackle

18 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Nothing to expand upon. It's simply my opinion. There are a lot of LTs I feel are better than him. Can't really prove or disprove an opinion. And he's often hampered by injuries, which affects his play, but it is good he plays through them. 

No, you made the stance that he's injury prone and I and others have pointed out that he's missed 6 games in 5 seasons, which amounts to playing in 93% of all the games possible.  In what world is that injury prone?

35 minutes ago, marky mark said:

The Packers-Vikings rivalry makes for a compelling reason why the Vikings might have blocked the interview, but Paton has passed on other chances to interview for G.M. openings in the past. He declined interviews with the Dolphins and Jets after the 2014 season and did the same when the Chiefs were looking for John Dorsey’s replacement last June.

Paton joins Doug Whaley as potential outside candidates in Green Bay while Russ Ball, Brian Gutekunst and Eliot Wolf are internal candidates.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/05/report-vikings-deny-packers-permission-to-interview-george-paton/

41 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

That's not surprising at all.

I guess gone are the days of the Vikes picking off the Packers scraps now that TT stepped aside.

Now GB is attempting to purge the Vikes FO.

Glad MN blocked, Paton has been a hot commodity for years.

Bob McGinn✔@BobMcGinn

Looks like it'll be GM Ball and Exec VP Gutekunst in Green Bay, leaving McCarthy to make decision whether he wants to continue coaching #Packers or not.

Jason B. Hirschhorn✔@by_JBH

Further down in the McGinn story: McCarthy directed his anger with the Packers' conservative approach to free agency at Ball. That suggests that the team won't take a more aggressive approach this offseason.

for what it's all worth at this point. lots of speculation going on to get clicks.

On 1/2/2018 at 10:59 PM, Nzd07 said:

This is actually scary if they start utilizing free agency more. I hope the Vikings get their superbowl this year

(no sarcasm)

During Thompson's 13 year tenure in Green Bay, there have been 24 teams that have played in the Super Bowl (soon to be 26 and neither of which will be the Packers) . The break down is as follows:

Patriots 4 (2 wins);

Steelers 3 (2 wins);

Seahawks 3 (1 win)

Giants 2 (2 wins);

Broncos 2 (1 win):

Colts 2 (1 win);

Ravens 1 (1win);

Saints 1 (1 win);

49ers 1 (0 wins);

Panthers 1 (0 wins);

Falcons 1 (0 wins);

Cardinals 1 (0 wins);

Bears 1 (0 wins); and

Packers 1 (1 win).

Only the 3 bolded teams above had hall of fame QBs behind center for all 13 of the seasons Thompson was the GM in Green Bay. 

I agree that if the new GM actually begins looking outside of the organization to acquire talent (not just with regard to free agency but make the first meaningful player trade in over a decade), then Aaron Rodgers may well make it back to a second SB while still a member of the Packers.

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Bob McGinn✔@BobMcGinn

Looks like it'll be GM Ball and Exec VP Gutekunst in Green Bay, leaving McCarthy to make decision whether he wants to continue coaching #Packers or not.

Jason B. Hirschhorn✔@by_JBH

Further down in the McGinn story: McCarthy directed his anger with the Packers' conservative approach to free agency at Ball. That suggests that the team won't take a more aggressive approach this offseason.

for what it's all worth at this point. lots of speculation going on to get clicks.

McGinn is a hack.  Literally doing a disservice by posting his crap on here.

24 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I guess gone are the days of the Vikes picking off the Packers scraps now that TT stepped aside.

Now GB is attempting to purge the Vikes FO.

Glad MN blocked, Paton has been a hot commodity for years.

It's just due diligence more than anything.  They're leaving no stone unturned.

24 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Every year teams try, and every year teams fail.

I dont think he'll interview, but the Packers are more like the Ravens than probably any team that's requested before. Total control over a roster with no owner interference, be hard pressed to pass that up.

Archived