Ted Thompson stepping aside from GM role/Will be in new position in Packers FO

GOGRIESE

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

FWIW the Packers requested to interview Raiders GM Reggie Mckenzie, but Mckenzie declined. 

Not surprising.  He starts sniffing around the Packers gig, there's a good chance he's fired in Oakland.

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not surprising.  He starts sniffing around the Packers gig, there's a good chance he's fired in Oakland.

Mark Davis was apparently the one who informed McKenzie of GB's request, and he still declined. I have no doubt that Davis would've allowed McKenzie to move on if thats what Reggie wanted to do, after its become clear that Jon Gruden will be the guy running the show in Oakland.

Frankly im surprised Reggie declined. GB is a blue chip job that rarely becomes available.

On 1/1/2018 at 7:17 PM, El ramster said:

Man you get the pointed.. 1 sb is a disgrace! to this generations supposedly greatest QB. That's some Joe Flacco type of run. 

A little early to jump on Rodgers for only winning one SB. Come back in 5 years and if he is still stuck there, you might have a point, besides, since when did Rodgers game performance ever surpass Brady as this generation's greatest QB. Not even close???

Just now, vike daddy said:

or perhaps trying to appease McCarthy by showing they are casting a wide net.

We were discussing that McCarthy has a part in the hiring of the new GM before all the mumbo-jumbo started happening.

Packers fans, Ball and McCarthy don't have a great relationship do they? Or is that just kind of the media that is floating around?

38 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Ian Rapoport✔@RapSheet

The #Packers are swinging big on their GM search. Green Bay submitted paperwork for permission to interview #Seahawks Super Bowl-winning GM John Schneider, I’m told. The request for the Green Bay native was denied.

I'd hope this doesn't stop Murphy. It'd be like calling a team and asking if you can have one of their players for free. Of course they'll deny it. Everyone knows GB is Schneider's dream job, if Murphy gives him some confirmation that's he's the guy and Schneider informs Seattle he wants the job, they have no choice but to work out a trade.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd hope this doesn't stop Murphy. It'd be like calling a team and asking if you can have one of their players for free. Of course they'll deny it. Everyone knows GB is Schneider's dream job, if Murphy gives him some confirmation that's he's the guy and Schneider informs Seattle he wants the job, they have no choice but to work out a trade.

i can't understand why anyone would want to give up something for him.

His track record in sustaining success is really, really bad. This is exactly what many GB fans didn't like about TT (the inevitable decline in draft production due to loss of draft capital). Schneider's drafts have been downright awful since SEA started having success.

Hard pass.

1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2018, a 1st round pick in 2019 and a 2nd round pick in 2020, plus cash for Schnieder?

I mean it worked to get a coach. GM is probably more important.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Everyone knows GB is Schneider's dream job, if Murphy gives him some confirmation that's he's the guy and Schneider informs Seattle he wants the job, they have no choice but to work out a trade.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2018, a 1st round pick in 2019 and a 2nd round pick in 2020, plus cash for Schnieder?

I'd give up our 3rd round comp. Anything else, hard pass.

He's not that much better than internal candidates and I think the whole thing is about to be blown up there in the next 2-3 years anyway.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

That would be WAY overspending. No way I go over a 2nd round pick. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd give up our 3rd round comp. Anything else, hard pass.

He's not that much better than internal candidates and I think the whole thing is about to be blown up there in the next 2-3 years anyway.

Only way I'd give up that talent is the cash NOT to be spent on that talent is redirected to picking up FAs - cause for a D+D team, thats a deep well of top talent we're letting get past us.

Actually - I made a mistake and responded to the wrong post. My reply was to this comment:
"1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2018, a 1st round pick in 2019 and a 2nd round pick in 2020, plus cash for Schnieder?

I mean it worked to get a coach. GM is probably more important."

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i can't understand why anyone would want to give up something for him.

His track record in sustaining success is really, really bad. This is exactly what many GB fans didn't like about TT (the inevitable decline in draft production due to loss of draft capital). Schneider's drafts have been downright awful since SEA started having success.

Hard pass.

My reasoning is Ted is still on staff, Ted's offensive hit record is pretty damn impressive, his defensive record is not, Schneider is the opposite. Defense is more 1-1 athletic matchups where as offense with Aaron is how each piece fits in the greater puzzle. I like Schneider's athletic standards when drafting defensive players, especially pass rushers. I feel like if Ted and John truly worked together (he's his mentor so I don't see that being a huge issue) they could put together some truly special drafts.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

My reasoning is Ted is still on staff, Ted's offensive hit record is pretty damn impressive, his defensive record is not, Schneider is the opposite. Defense is more 1-1 athletic matchups where as offense with Aaron is how each piece fits in the greater puzzle. I like Schneider's athletic standards when drafting defensive players, especially pass rushers. I feel like if Ted and John truly worked together (he's his mentor so I don't see that being a huge issue) they could put together some truly special drafts.

i wonder how much of the early SEA drafts were Schneider vs mccoughlan and/or carroll too though...

Archived