Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not supposed to be - but that's something that has to be considered. Ball likely stays if he doesn't get the job, because he already has a major role. 

I like the idea of TT sticking around and I think a major exodus (if true and Ball got the job) would be a setback. I don't think re-vamping your personnel department is a good thing

I'm not real worried about it ... this Packers GM job is probably the best job in football.  I just want Murphy to do an extensive search and hire the top candidate available.  The new GM will be able to attract the best in the business to come here.

Just now, spilltray said:

Ok so you get to keep 1 of 3 in that scenario

Like I said - where are the others going to go ? There are only 32 GM jobs. Just because you want one of them doesn't mean you'll get one. No reason to leave and take a lateral position. You can still interview for GM jobs while working here. The grass isn't always greener

It seems likely enough that both Wolf and Gutekunst will be sitting in a GM chair sooner rather than later.  The real question seems to be whether that chair will be in GB.  I don't imagine GB having both of those guys in house much longer, especially now that the TT era is over in GB.  I would hate to lose both of them, so I do hope to see one of those two named as TT's successor.

7 hours ago, cooters22 said:

I read a article awhile back that Sam Seale loves the west coast life style; loves scouting that area; doesn't ever wanna leave that area; he's happy with his job; Packers are happy with him; and as a scout he rarely has to leave the west coast to come to Green Bay; never goes to Packer games, so I think he stays right where he's at. 

I was just pointing out I think he's  entertaining haha

McGinn with some interesting blurbs regarding how TT's health may have played a big role in the decision

The public images of Thompson and some recent interaction with Packers executives led the 45-member board of directors to instruct Murphy to remove him as general manager, according to one source.

Last month, Thompson was just gazing into space hardly mindful why he was attending a meeting of team executives, the source said.

The incident was one of several in the last six months that called into question Thompson’s fitness for performing such demanding work. It also opened the Packers to embarrassment for having a man with apparent health and focusing issues directing their football operation.

Ten days ago, NBC cameras centered on Thompson at his press-box seat when play was stopped during the Green Bay-Minnesota game at Lambeau Field. For almost 12 seconds Thompson was sitting there with his mouth open.

Thompson’s mouth was ajar not long before that as he and McCarthy watched Aaron Rodgers warm up at practice.

Thompson frequently is seen in the Packers’ offices in similar pose, which alarmed one person.

Another friend of Thompson’s said recently “there’s something foggy about him” during their recent conversations.

An executive in personnel for an NFC team said he encountered Thompson on the scouting trail this fall.

“He looks like he’s walking in a daze,” the personnel man said last week. “It looks like there’s something that’s slowing him down mentally.”

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

McGinn with some interesting blurbs regarding how TT's health may have played a big role in the decision

He also insinuated a nugget that a new GM may be free to pursue their own Head Coach. While I don't think McCarthy will or should go, something to keep an eye on perhaps.

Another McGinn blurb

Thompson, a month shy of his 65th birthday, reportedly has accepted a complementary role in which he can continue to grind tape, write reports and, if his health permits, scout college players on campus and at all-star games.

GB has 3 really nice in house candidates.  Strong front office.  The question becomes how do they keep as many of them for as they can?

I don't know that you get to keep both Wolf and Gutekunst for much longer.  If there is a scenario that keeps both around GB for a couple of years, I'd surmise that it would be Ball getting the GM job and both of those guys getting promotions to be right under him.  Everyone gets promoted up....

And I don't think that is very likely.

So, to me, it comes down to two things, which one of the two wants to stay in GB and who does GB like best?

I believe that the answer is Gutekunst.  He's interviewed better than Wolf with other clubs (or so I've heard).  I've also heard that Wolf may want to spread his wings a little and live in a larger city for a while.  I've also heard Gutenkunst described as Scot McCloughan without the drinking.  And that is high praise as Scot is regarded as one of the finest talent guys out there.

So, this will be fun to watch.  

4 minutes ago, Hands said:

With the high drafting slot and the number of picks, it could be the Packer's didn't want to take any chances on TTscouting and running the show this year.

Gutsy move by Murphy!

Do people really think Wolf/Gutekunst/Highsmith/Sullivan and all of the scouts give their input and Ted gives them the middle finger as he drafts based on his personal board? The Packers will have the same scouts, and the same people working in the FO. It wasn't just Thompson making the decisions, it was the entire FO.

Archived