Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Makes sense. He appears the most well-rounded and experienced candidate on paper. If he is highly thought of as well (which every indication is that he is), he seems like the obvious choice.

The obvious choice for the position he currently holds because of his skillset, not the GM position...because of his skillset. Ball as a GM will be entirely dependent on having a good personnel group around him. Then what happens to those guys? They become GMs or take other positions elsewhere, positions where those skills are key. What's Ball going to do without a talented personnel group around him 24/7?

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're hired at a company in marketing, mid 30s. Your boss is mid 50s and you really like working for him. You continue to do work, get promoted multiple times and fast forward 10 years and your boss is looking to retire. You're one of the first guys to interview and think you have shown that company you have everything it takes to take over that spot. You find out later that you didn't get the job, it went to an older guy in a different department who is friends with your boss and the president of the company and they discussed this months earlier. Your interview was nothing more than a formality to boost your morale at that point.

You're staying at that company? No way in hell I am.

That’s a whole lot of assumption. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're hired at a company in marketing, mid 30s. Your boss is mid 50s and you really like working for him. You continue to do work, get promoted multiple times and fast forward 10 years and your boss is looking to retire. You're one of the first guys to interview and think you have shown that company you have everything it takes to take over that spot. You find out later that you didn't get the job, it went to an older guy in a different department who is friends with your boss and the president of the company and they discussed this months earlier. Your interview was nothing more than a formality to boost your morale at that point.

maybe i thank them for granting me an interview even though they knew I probably wasn't the best candidate, but liked me and wanted to show me they have sincere interest in my continued growth and are serious about my future even if it's not my time yet.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would be somewhat surprised if a decision had been reached months ago.  I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was the front runner.  Human nature is that if you work with four individuals on a daily basis, one of them emerges as a favorite, not because of friendship, but because that person has the attributes you think your organization needs for that position.  Doesn’t mean somebody else can’t blow you away in an interview or the front runner might blow the interview or a new, better candidate comes up.  It just means there’s a leader in the clubhouse.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The obvious choice for the position he currently holds because of his skillset, not the GM position...because of his skillset. Ball as a GM will be entirely dependent on having a good personnel group around him. Then what happens to those guys? They become GMs or take other positions elsewhere, positions where those skills are key. What's Ball going to do without a talented personnel group around him 24/7?

What's to keep the Packers from stealing personnel folks from other organizations?  Maybe we bring in McCloughan, or add Reggie McKenzie to the mix?  Would you be satisfied with Ted and another strong guy like running the scouting department?

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

maybe i thank them for granting me an interview even though they knew I probably wasn't the best candidate, but liked me and wanted to show me they have sincere interest in my continued growth and are serious about my future even if it's not my time yet.

Far more gracious than I. If Silverstein's scenario holds true, the whole FO should've been informed at that time. That's what a loyal company would do. Huge dock on my opinion of Murphy, Ted and Ball if this is true.

I was hoping we'd get a young OC, DC and GM, like Flores, Lombardi and Wolf and start being on the cutting edge.

We'll probably just recycle some old dogs in Fangio, Philbin and Ball and be the same organization. Not that there is anything overly wrong with how we were, I still think we can win SBs (thank God for Aaron) but I want something different from the Ted/Dom/Mike marriage we just left. Ball's almost 59, we'll be right back here after his first 5 year deal.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

What's to keep the Packers from stealing personnel folks from other organizations?  Maybe we bring in McCloughan, or add Reggie McKenzie to the mix?  Would you be satisfied with Ted and another strong guy like running the scouting department?

No I'd be satisfied with leaving Ball where he's at and putting Wolf or Gute in the GM position and then add another personnel guy to fill the vacancy. Better yet, if we want to groom Ball for a promotion, make it Murphy's. 

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If Ball gets it, will be chaos. Sounds like this whole thing is a dog and pony show. Really hope it's just smokescreens leaving 1265.

I agree with the dog and pony show.  If Ted and Mark are in agreement that Ball is their guy then just name him the guy and don't put on a show.  Personally I am having a little trouble thinking that they have put together this elaborate ruse just to fool the public and guys like Wolf and Gute.  They would surely know if the fix was in and would not even bother to interview.  You have to believe they are dummies and can't see the what's right in front of them.  I'm calling B.S. on this story.

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

we have 3 guys THIS YEAR that possess the skillset you're worried about running out of.

think about that for a minute...

Archived