Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Far more gracious than I. If Silverstein's scenario holds true, the whole FO should've been informed at that time. That's what a loyal company would do. Huge dock on my opinion of Murphy, Ted and Ball if this is true.

I was hoping we'd get a young OC, DC and GM, like Flores, Lombardi and Wolf and start being on the cutting edge.

We'll probably just recycle some old dogs in Fangio, Philbin and Ball and be the same organization. Not that there is anything overly wrong with how we were, I still think we can win SBs (thank God for Aaron) but I want something different from the Ted/Dom/Mike marriage we just left. Ball's almost 59, we'll be right back here after his first 5 year deal.

A 5 year plan sounds good to me right about now. Fits nicely with our main resource. I'm not saying Wolf can't be the guy, or some 38 year old defensive coordinator can't be the guy. If I'm Murphy and MM, I'm hedging bets because there is no sure thing. What we can't have is a 5 year disaster because we failed at being cutting edge when there were safer options to allow us to cash in

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

we have 3 guys THIS YEAR that possess the skillset you're worried about running out of.

think about that for a minute...

Hasn't mattered much with TT being the final word. That's why we are currently in this situation. I picture Ball making those same decisions with TT's hand on his shoulder telling him when to say yes or no. No thanks.

Just now, cannondale said:

A 5 year plan sounds good to me right about now. Fits nicely with our main resource. I'm not saying Wolf can't be the guy, or some 38 year old defensive coordinator can't be the guy. If I'm Murphy I'm hedging bets because there is no sure thing. What we can't have is a 5 year disaster because we failed at being cutting edge

I guess I'm being selfish, but I'd much rather have a transition like we did Favre to Aaron than Indy did Manning to Luck, we're the whole system has to be purged and rebuilt.

Hire Wolf/Gute, hopefully get another ring or 2 with Aaron. By then they'll have half a dozen years experience. I'm sure Mac or Aaron will retire and now our experienced GM can find our next franchise QB and the HC to pair him with.

With Ball, his career is going to end right about with all them. You'd essentially be looking at the death of the current Packers and a completely new regime top-down.

Think about this guys...

Why do you prefer a "young, hungry, egotist" type at the helm? Some who wants to make for himself. Or construct the team to his vision. Those are the types you want one level down - unless that person is truly a generational talent (like Steve Jobs, or Bill Belichick).

Not me. I prefer the drama-less, rational, calculating type at the helm. The guy without an ego, who doesn't care to read his name in the paper, who takes input from the hungry guys and formulates a plan. The guy who understands, completely, that the franchise is larger than he is.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hasn't mattered much with TT being the final word. That's why we are currently in this situation. I picture Ball making those same decisions with TT's hand on his shoulder telling him when to say yes or no. No thanks.

it's hard to argue with someone who basis their entire opinion on unsubstantiated opinion, you literally cannot be shown to be wrong in your mind.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

exactly

So you're down to one guy, a semi-retired former GM phasing his way out of the organization. You've lost your top 3 college and pro guys. You're left with Ball and area scouts. Oh and you have no guy focusing 100% of his time on the cap anymore either. Can I just have Teddy back at this point?

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Think about this guys...

Why do you prefer a "young, hungry, egotist" type at the helm? Some who wants to make for himself. Or construct the team to his vision. Those are the types you want one level down - unless that person is truly a generational talent (like Steve Jobs, or Bill Belichick).

Not me. I prefer the drama-less, rational, calculating type at the helm. The guy without an ego, who doesn't care to read his name in the paper, who takes input from the hungry guys and formulates a plan. The guy who understands, completely, that the franchise is larger than he is.

This is all an assumption as much as assuming Ball is a salary cap guy who can't identify talent.

Wolf/Gute have grown up in the Packers organization with the Ron Wolf/Thompson vision. Why are they power hungry and egotistical? They'll fail anywhere they go in that case. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

This is all an assumption as much as assuming Ball is a salary cap guy who can't identify talent.

Wolf/Gute have grown up in the Packers organization with the Ron Wolf/Thompson vision. Why are they power hungry and egotistical? They'll fail anywhere they go in that case. 

i'm not assuming anything about the GM candidates, I'm stating what I feel is a reflection of what people here want in a candidate

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So you're down to one guy, a semi-retired former GM phasing his way out of the organization. You've lost your top 3 college and pro guys. You're left with Ball and area scouts. Oh and you have no guy focusing 100% of his time on the cap anymore either. Can I just have Teddy back at this point?

then you just hire their replacements, those guys seems to be a dime a dozen. Other than our own guys, I've heard folks rattle off probably 10 other names that fit that bill.

Ball had been interviewed for GM jobs before .. Jets 2013 .. maybe others.  I came across this in google searching for something else.  He's not some goof ... he's a highly respected NFL front office guy.  I think things might actually run better in our front office with this guy overseeing it.  There's more than one way to do things successfully at GM.  We'll just have to see how it plays out.  I'm not so sure there will even be a mass exodus.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/12/jets-considering-russ-ball-too/

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

we have 3 guys THIS YEAR that possess the skillset you're worried about running out of.

think about that for a minute...

You seem to be saying that GB has 3 viable in-house candidates that just about no other team has with the quote above....

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

then you just hire their replacements, those guys seems to be a dime a dozen. Other than our own guys, I've heard folks rattle off probably 10 other names that fit that bill.

....then you seem to imply that hiring these ultra talented player evaluators are a dime a dozen.

I might be wrong, but those 2 things seem opposed to each other.  Care to elaborate, or am I missing something or mis-interpreting what you are saying in these quotes.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You're making me miss Ted. Lol. That does not sound appealing to me.

I want a young GM that will give us another 10-15 years of the Ron Wolf/Ted Thompson draft and develop roster building philosophy. Ball is essentially tied to Mac and Aaron's timeline at his age.

Just now, squire12 said:

You seem to be saying that GB has 3 viable in-house candidates that just about no other team has with the quote above....

....then you seem to imply that hiring these ultra talented player evaluators are a dime a dozen.

I might be wrong, but those 2 things seem opposed to each other.  Care to elaborate, or am I missing something or mis-interpreting what you are saying in these quotes.

yep, mis-interpreting slightly. My point is that just GB has 3 candidates this year (i.e. that type does not appear to be a scarce resource). And there's a history of developing them here as well. I'm not concerned about running short on talent evaluators is my overall point.

Archived