Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

Well, it's not the end of the world if Wolf and Gute do leave the organization ... there's guys with lots of experience behind them waiting their turn.

Something to think about during the Great Russ Ball Fan Freakout:
John Wojciechowski has worked in the NFL for 22 years. Jon-Eric Sullivan has 14 years with the Packers. It's not like the personnel cupboard is bare if Wolf and/or Gutekunst end up leaving.

2m

10 hours ago, spilltray said:

The last time Brady missed significant time, the Patriots missed the playoffs too.

That Patriots team went 11-5 without Brady, and was a far better team than this GB team without Rodgers.  I expect you already knew that.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

That Patriots team went 11-5 without Brady, and was a far better team than this GB team without Rodgers.  I expect you already knew that.

And they had a far better backup QB, many less compounding problems and were 18-1 the previous season. I expect you knew that as well.

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

And they had a far better backup QB, many less compounding problems and were 18-1 the previous season. I expect you knew that as well.

I did know all that.  I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.  You were the one trying to compare the teams.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

If the GB beat writers are correct, this entire "GM search" is more or less just Murphy going through the motions.  Sounds like anyone but Ball being named GM would be a major surprise to those within the organization.

I guess I don't understand why Murphy has to go thru the motions ... if Ball is his guy and he truly thinks he's the best man for the job than he should hire him.  I'm just not sure I buy into there being some sort of elaborate ruse afoot.  I think the search is Murphy doing his due diligence to make sure he talks to the best and brightest.  All told I think Ball's resume is very strong .. he's worthy of the gig .. just a little different way of doing things than GB has become accustomed to.  We'll be fine.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I guess I don't understand why Murphy has to go thru the motions ... if Ball is his guy and he truly thinks he's the best man for the job than he should hire him.  I'm just not sure I buy into there being some sort of elaborate ruse afoot.  I think the search is Murphy doing his due diligence to make sure he talks to the best and brightest.  All told I think Ball's resume is very strong .. he's worthy of the gig .. just a little different way of doing things than GB has become accustomed to.  We'll be fine.

Generally speaking, I agree.  I don't particularly love Ball as the choice, but if he's the guy, jumping through all the requisite hoops seems pointless.  One thing that could come of the process is Murphy convincing Wolf/Gute to remain in GB until they land their own GM spot.  Hard to really know the dynamics going on between Murphy/Ball/Wolf/Gute behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Well, it's not the end of the world if Wolf and Gute do leave the organization ... there's guys with lots of experience behind them waiting their turn.

John Wojciechowski has worked in the NFL for 22 years. Jon-Eric Sullivan has 14 years with the Packers. It's not like the personnel cupboard is bare if Wolf and/or Gutekunst end up leaving.

2m

Yep. There's a lot of these guys around.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

2m

I guess the way I see it, they've been around that long and were below Gute, Wolf and Highsmith. The cream rises to the top, if they were a better candidate to do the roles of Gute and Wolf they would've been promoted instead. Experience doesn't make you the best candidate.

I found this in a question and answer session. What I find a little amazing is that Gute and Ball seem to have a specific skill level needed for the GM position. What I didn't read is that Wolf's biggest asset is his family heritage. It's not a knock and I'm sure he has some qualifications...I would just perfer to see the team sign a GM with known skills verses possible inherited traits.

What are the strengths of Russ Ball, Brian Gutekunst and Eliot Wolf?
Ball understands and appreciates the importance of the salary cap and how it relates to the future stability of a franchise. A GM must possess that talent. Gutekunst is a top scout and I was impressed by his ability to communicate with the media and explain why a pick was made. Those are also significant traits. Wolf has the bloodlines and there is reason to believe he possesses his father's magic touch. What's not to like about that?

Ball understands and appreciates the importance of the salary cap and how it relates to the future stability of a franchise. A GM must possess that talent. Gutekunst is a top scout and I was impressed by his ability to communicate with the media and explain why a pick was made. Those are also significant traits. Wolf has the bloodlines and there is reason to believe he possesses his father's magic touch. What's not to like about that?

Ball is good at making decisions under constraints

Gutenkunst is good at press conferences.

Wolf's dad is cool

Does not seem like a difficult decision to me.

Archived