Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you sign players outside of your team, it makes it more difficult to resign your own. That's the problem with outside Free Agency. Resigning your own players has a far better hit rate than signing guys from outside. When you don't have resignings to make, that's when you start betting on the wildcards that are outside free agents. 

And if you notice, that's what we've been doing. 

I have noticed... it’s also why Seattle has to ? It’s also why New England does too. It’s why any team does...

I get the philosophy of draft and develop... and why teams use FA.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Yeah, plus the promising young corner...

What do you mean re: Bennett?  Looks like he's under contract for 2 more years though they could save abt $5mil if they move away. 

From what I watched of him this year, and I watched several games of seattle looking at front 7, I think he's still a really valuable guy who is just playing an absolutely ludicrous # of snaps.

Motivated Sheldon Richardson is a top 20 defender in the league, and I saw a motivated Richardson with Seattle.  That push he had vs us in his first game was there the whole year.

Back to the topic at hand and speaking to Schneider: 

I was ok with the Graham move at the time it was made, and I see a lot of that as a coaching failure, an injury situation, and a Russell Wilson failure.  We've all seen much worse late first round picks than the past few years of Graham.

Team was SO dependent on the TE as a zone read blocker that it was just an awful fit initially.  But towards the end of 2016 they started going 3x1 with Graham isolated, and that was just devastatingly effective since it was either Graham in a ton of space or Baldwin on a crossing route underneath Graham..  That continued this year, and they added in a good use of him in the RZ.  Kudos to Bevell and Wilson there.

It's definitely true the recent drafts aren't good, but there's a trend that it's an attempt to fix OL issues, and a continued failure despite several high-mid picks.  Assuming TT takes the reigns setting the OL board and if we can keep Campen... I don't see that being an issue for Schneider.

I'm getting my Seattle Edge rushers flipped, I'm thinking of Avril that's likely not coming back. Bennett will turn 33 next year though. You're in fall off territory.

Agree with everything you said about the Seahawks offense, but it's not just the OL. The receiving group is mediocre, the OL is awful, and the defense is going to start shedding guys here shortly.

Disagree that motivated Sheldon Richardson is a top 20 defender. I'd say top 45, but I'm not willing to say top 20. Also don't like DL with motor and maturity issues and Richardson has them. 

19 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I don't want to sound petulant but what evidence?

Every time the media/fans get down on the Packers, Rodgers is there to spell Relax. To say he believes they can run the table. Every interview he’s delivering the same message as MM. He’s saying all the right things. He’s ALWAYS doing what’s best for the organization. He’s extremely supportive of MM and his staff.

Nowhere is there a quote from Rodgers directly knocking the front office because he can simply walk into someone’s office and talk it out like people should.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-QB-Aaron-Rodgers-reveals-when-he-wants-to-retire--52913148/Amp

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yes, i understand how trades work. I also understand neither you nor I know whether any of those trades, if pursued, would have been agreed upon. 

By that logic we don't know if any of those trades were pursued. god it's fun being able to play in your own made up world, where you can turn every bit of unknown into a biased slant to fit your argument rather than living in reality. 

3 hours ago, tredpack said:

Collins, Finely, Shields

Its amazing how 3 names can alter a guys legacy. I truly believe if 2 of the above don't happen we go to at least 3 Super Bowls total. No way we lose to Seattle in 2014 with Finley on the field. 

Collins was such a good player. So fast and could cover. We've been searching for that ever since. 

Shields was a borliderline pro bowler, Finley could have been a difference maker but wasn't all the time, but Nick Collins was on a train headed for Canton, Ohio. He never was or will be truly replaced. 

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree with the basics of this, but are we sure that Rodgers is not potentially hinting at the window with him being shorter vs longer?    His last off season comment of "all in" (or whatever the specific quote was, might be hinting at a shorter remaining career vs longer.  

Also hard to say how a fracture clavicle and fairly significant surgery affects his view of his own mortality for  playing the game of football.  

He also will be dealing with the effects of colder weather playing in GB as he gets older.   That certainly affected Farve as he moved into the twilight of his career.

Previous post has link to him mentioning 45 as a retirement age. Certainly doesn’t sound like retirement on the mind.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I exceeded my complimenatary looks at js. Can anybody go over or copy some of this article, sounds like a good one. Thanks.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm thinking of Avril that's likely not coming back.

Yeah this was an under-reported issue with them this year -  The Sherman and Chancellor injuries get the hype, and they should, but Seattle is known to Collapse without Avril, like in Pats SB. 

The snaps just piled up for Bennett and Clark as a result, and then pressure couldn't make up for the drop-off in the secondary.  Same issues in GB 2016-2017.

I really like Bennett's game to age well since he can play inside or edge.  He's what Mike Neal was trying to be except he has the big frame to make it work.

There's something weird going on in the Seattle WR group.  They are talented enough to be way more productive, and the guys who leave tend to do fairly well.  I chalk that one up to Wilson for now. 

The biggest problem is clearly the OL, which led to a total running game failure, which up until 2016 was the foundation of the offense.

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

Did we though? Only when Bahk came back. And still I would argue everyone was quick to blame a Hundley for the sacks and line issues. When in reality the oline was just bad this year.

As for the defense they lost Avril, Sherman, Cancellor and Wagner was fighting injury. Cancellor and Avril likely have career ending injuries. Take out that many playmakers of course the defense will struggle.

In all the games Hundley started, PFF lists him as having taken 25 sacks. Over that same time period, they attribute 9 sacks to the OL over that period, 1 to the TE's, and 2 to the RB's. 

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

By that logic we don't know if any of those trades were pursued. god it's fun being able to play in your own made up world, where you can turn every bit of unknown into a biased slant to fit your argument rather than living in reality. 

not exactly what's going on, but reminds me of this:

http://unenumerated.blogspot.mx/2012/07/pascals-scams.html

3 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

I exceeded my complimenatary looks at js. Can anybody go over or copy some of this article, sounds like a good one. Thanks.

it's a fluff piece about Gute.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Yeah this was an under-reported issue with them this year -  The Sherman and Chancellor injuries get the hype, and they should, but Seattle is known to Collapse without Avril, like in Pats SB. 

The snaps just piled up for Bennett and Clark as a result, and then pressure couldn't make up for the drop-off in the secondary.  Same issues in GB 2016-2017.

I really like Bennett's game to age well since he can play inside or edge.  He's what Mike Neal was trying to be except he has the big frame to make it work.

There's something weird going on in the Seattle WR group.  They are talented enough to be way more productive, and the guys who leave tend to do fairly well.  I chalk that one up to Wilson for now. 

The biggest problem is clearly the OL, which led to a total running game failure, which up until 2016 was the foundation of the offense.

Avril's a damn good player and one of the most underrated throughout his career. Not a Canton guy, but a guy who could seriously get after it.

Dearth of pass rushers in the NFL is a serious thing. Hitting everybody.

I've given up trying to figure out how people are going to age. I've never had any success at it. Bennett just strikes me a s a guy who if he losses anything, it's gonna hit him hard because he's good at both but great at neigher.

I just think the offense isn't that productive and needs new coaching. It's got parts but doesn't run smoothly.

19 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Every time the media/fans get down on the Packers, Rodgers is there to spell Relax. To say he believes they can run the table. Every interview he’s delivering the same message as MM. He’s saying all the right things. He’s ALWAYS doing what’s best for the organization. He’s extremely supportive of MM and his staff.

Nowhere is there a quote from Rodgers directly knocking the front office because he can simply walk into someone’s office and talk it out like people should.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-QB-Aaron-Rodgers-reveals-when-he-wants-to-retire--52913148/Amp

Yes but he's getting older, it's night and day after ATL that his words started to sound more aggressive. I think the large worry with Ball is that he's a finances guy, so is Murph. They may not want the 2023 Packers to be full of some dead cap from contracts signed this year and next to push Rodgers toward a vet driven team capable of winning it all. Mac is in the same boat, by the time Rodgers retires he'll be 15+ years in the league and probably ready to settle down and watch his kids grow up. Both of these men want to put the pedal to the floor and chase some championships.

Murph and Ball I can see opposing the "all in" style that Denver used to squeeze the last years of Manning's career and get him to 2 SBs. It's clearly a short term push and not a long term solution to roster building. It may result in worse teams for us after the careers of Mac and Rodgers and less profitability until we're good again.

Both "duos" have good reasoning for their stances, I think the problem right now is a difference in the viewpoint of these men. Mac and Aaron want what's best for the Packers in the next 5 years, as that's where their timelines stand, Murph/Ball want whats best for the Packers in any given year for as long as they're employed here.

I think as most candidates who have left this team have shown, they tend to be far more aggressive than the Ball/Ted/Murphy stance was. I think Mac and Aaron are pushing for a Gute/Wolf/Schneider hire so they have the best opportunity possible to win championships as they finish out their careers.

20 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I have a feeling Seattle's price might be a tad steep...   :/

What's too steep?  If their GM wants the opportunity to interview and they restrict him from it they run the risk of having a disgruntled employee on their hands.  Do they really want that?  They just want some compensation to make the move.  I think a middle round pick or so, and cash could get it done.  What comp picks do we have .. maybe ship them our 3rd and 5th comp picks and call it good.  Seattle doesn't have a 2nd and 3rd this year.  Maybe we can get him even cheaper than that.  Maybe they'll ask for our 2nd .. I don'y know.  It't worth it to get a good proven GM that really wants to be here .. and is wanted here by the head coach.  Make it happen, Murphy.

Archived