Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

What's too steep?  If their GM wants the opportunity to interview and they restrict him from it they run the risk of having a disgruntled employee on their hands.  Do they really want that?  They just want some compensation to make the move.  I think a middle round pick or so, and cash could get it done.  What comp picks do we have .. maybe ship them our 3rd and 5th comp picks and call it good.  Seattle doesn't have a 2nd and 3rd this year.  Maybe we can get him even cheaper than that.  Maybe they'll ask for our 2nd .. I don'y know.  It't worth it to get a good proven GM that really wants to be here .. and is wanted here by the head coach.  Make it happen, Murphy.

Sure would be nice if Carrol was looking to make a power play.

Just don't see Seattle asking for anything less than a first round pick.

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Hell idk, pick any of the top 2 rushers on any of the 3-4 teams in the league and explore your options to trade for a guy. Maybe you get a good deal, maybe you have to give up more than you wanted but you're taking a chance to help your team right now. Trade a 2 to philly for Graham, a 2 to KC for Ford, a 2 to Miami for Wake, etc.

My stance on Peppers was like most players...im okay with letting him walk if the money isnt right and you have a contingency. The latter is where Ted consistently failed. He lets Peppers walk because he plans to replace him with Fackrell. He loses Shields and says "well we have Randall and Rollins so we're good." Instead, lose Shields...why not trade for Haden or sign Logan? Lose Peppers? Trade for Graham/Ford, someone else. I cannot remember the last time, if ever, TT made a player trade that made us a better team than we were 5 minutes before the trade happened. For a SB ready team, to me thats insanity. 

I couldn't agree more. I've brought this up before as well, when Shields was let go, why didn't we then take that money and put it towards a good starting corner? Maybe even top tier shutdown corner? I get the money thing, but we didn't. Ted brought in nice pieces to the puzzle but he needed to bring in that top tier type corner and sorry he had the money. Ron Wolf once said he regretted not keeping Bryce Paup in Green Bay, but the fact of the matter is he signed Reggie White and thought Bryce was expendable. He thought he was losing a good player but getting a great player sorta in his place (different positions but both pass rushers}. He wish he would have kept Bryce even with bringing in Reggie. We had a GM that was willing to let a guy leave without having a game plan in place on how to replace him. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sure would be nice if Carrol was looking to make a power play.

Just don't see Seattle asking for anything less than a first round pick.

All Schneider has to do is come out and say "Pete and my relationship has deteriorated to a point where I don't think it can be repaired, my request is Seattle works out a trade with the Packers and let's me pursue my dream job with my hometown team."

Now it goes from Seattle's leverage, to ours. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

All Schneider has to do is come out and say "Pete and my relationship has deteriorated to a point where I don't think it can be repaired, my request is Seattle works out a trade with the Packers and let's me pursue my dream job with my hometown team."

Now it goes from Seattle's leverage, to ours. 

Not sure I'd want a guy willing to lie and bash a coworker like that to get out of a contract he signed.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Murph and Ball I can see opposing the "all in" style that Denver used to squeeze the last years of Manning's career and get him to 2 SBs. It's clearly a short term push and not a long term solution to roster building. It may result in worse teams for us after the careers of Mac and Rodgers and less profitability until we're good again.

The time horizon isn't really THAT long though.  A team like Jacksonville became great within 2 years of setting their organizational structure under Coughlin, picking high, and going ALL IN on a few defensive free agents.

I could see the Packers as that type of team 1-2 years after an All-in push with Rodgers and MM.

With the right leadership, it's actually quite hard to be consistently bad in the NFL.  And there's a case to be made for being a "long term but cyclical" team with higher highs and lower lows than a "long term consistent" team.  

?

It's business. Should the Bucks not have wanted Bledsoe because he came out and bashed the Suns to force a trade? 

Big difference between taking advantage of a dysfunctional relationship and causing it.

Maybe I'm just dumb and naive.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Big difference between taking advantage of a dysfunctional relationship and causing it.

Maybe I'm just dumb and naive.

I mean realistically, if you had to share power with Pete Carroll you'd probably hate the guy deep down lol. 

I'm not sure there isn't buried dysfunction that Schneider would love to be out from under, even if he's professional enough to not have brought any of it to the surface so far.

29 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Every time the media/fans get down on the Packers, Rodgers is there to spell Relax. To say he believes they can run the table. Every interview he’s delivering the same message as MM. He’s saying all the right things. He’s ALWAYS doing what’s best for the organization. He’s extremely supportive of MM and his staff.

Nowhere is there a quote from Rodgers directly knocking the front office because he can simply walk into someone’s office and talk it out like people should.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-QB-Aaron-Rodgers-reveals-when-he-wants-to-retire--52913148/Amp

pre 2017 injury and the departure of TT and others.  Missing the playoffs and potentially realizing that the roster needs a boost of talent and not just from the draft.   

What he said then vs how he might view things now.   Injuries can often have a big influence on how players see their future and how many years playing in the NFL might last.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

The time horizon isn't really THAT long though.  A team like Jacksonville became great within 2 years of setting their organizational structure under Coughlin, picking high, and going ALL IN on a few defensive free agents.

I could see the Packers as that type of team 1-2 years after an All-in push with Rodgers and MM.

With the right leadership, it's actually quite hard to be consistently bad in the NFL.  And there's a case to be made for being a "long term but cyclical" team with higher highs and lower lows than a "long term consistent" team.  

The Cyclical vs steady argument is an interesting one but I would make the argument for consistent when you have a Franchise QB. 

I mean realistically, if you had to share power with Pete Carroll you'd probably hate the guy deep down lol. 

I'm not sure there isn't buried dysfunction that Schneider would love to be out from under, even if he's professional enough to not have brought any of it to the surface so far.

You make a valid point. xD

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes but he's getting older, it's night and day after ATL that his words started to sound more aggressive. I think the large worry with Ball is that he's a finances guy, so is Murph. They may not want the 2023 Packers to be full of some dead cap from contracts signed this year and next to push Rodgers toward a vet driven team capable of winning it all. Mac is in the same boat, by the time Rodgers retires he'll be 15+ years in the league and probably ready to settle down and watch his kids grow up. Both of these men want to put the pedal to the floor and chase some championships.

Murph and Ball I can see opposing the "all in" style that Denver used to squeeze the last years of Manning's career and get him to 2 SBs. It's clearly a short term push and not a long term solution to roster building. It may result in worse teams for us after the careers of Mac and Rodgers and less profitability until we're good again.

Both "duos" have good reasoning for their stances, I think the problem right now is a difference in the viewpoint of these men. Mac and Aaron want what's best for the Packers in the next 5 years, as that's where their timelines stand, Murph/Ball want whats best for the Packers in any given year for as long as their employed here.

I think as most candidates who have left this team have shown, they tend to be far more aggressive than the Ball/Ted/Murphy stance was. I think Mac and Aaron are pushing for a Gute/Wolf/Schneider hire so they have the best opportunity possible to win championships as they finish out their careers.

Fair to say he’s frustrated he doesn’t have another ring. We all are. But that doesn’t change the timeline of his career. Every year we are a favorite, and will be again next year. He knows that. I’m sure he’s curious and excited to see what the Defense turns out to be next year. That’s all that has stopped him. Losing Collins AND Shields in their prime set their respective positions back to square one. So did Finley’s for that matter. Rodgers is smart enough to see those injuries really screwed our defense. 

20 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

There's something weird going on in the Seattle WR group.  They are talented enough to be way more productive, and the guys who leave tend to do fairly well.  I chalk that one up to Wilson for now. 

The biggest problem is clearly the OL, which led to a total running game failure, which up until 2016 was the foundation of the offense.

These two probably go hand in hand.

WR's have a hard time being productive when the QB has no time to through.

Archived