Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

These modern SEA teams were among the best (both years were top 5 all time I believe) in DVOA.

They were absolutely legit for a stretch there.

I'm not trying to downplay how good the SEA teams were.  I just think the DAL offense matched up well vs how SEA plays defense, and the SEA defense is what carried those teams.  It could be that I am getting the years wrong for the DAL teams I am remembering, but those teams were very good on both sides.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm sorry, but I don't see the modern SEA teams hanging with those DAL teams.  I think those DAL o-lines would have manhandled the SEA front seven.

I guess I see that matchup as far less of an issue than I do the Seattle Zone Read Spread MURDERING those Dallas defenses who were just finally figuring out what a Nickel/Dime Defense was?

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I guess I see that matchup as far less of an issue than I do the Seattle Zone Read Spread MURDERING those Dallas defenses who were just finally figuring out what a Nickel/Dime Defense was?

Yup... probably the biggest problem with comparing teams from different era's

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's somewhat disingenuous. By most measures, the Packers have faced teams just as good as those Cowboys teams.

Just going off of point differential you've got:

92 Cowboys +166

93 Cowboys +147

94 Cowboys +166

95 Cowboys +144

Compare that to the Seahawks of the current generation

Winning Superbowls as part of a weak AFC is what put the Cowboys and 49ers above the other teams as part of the current generation. 

15 Seahawks +146

14 Seahawks +140

13 Seahawks +186

12 Seahawks +167

92 Cowboys +166 -- PACKER DID NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

93 Cowboys +147 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE SB CHAMP COWBOYS IN THE PLAYOFFS

94 Cowboys +166 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE COWBOYS IN THE PLAYOFFS

95 Cowboys +144 --- PACKERS LOST TO THE SB CHAMP COWBOYS IN THE PLAYOFFS 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 Seahawks +146 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE CARDINALS IN THE PLAYOFFS

14 Seahawks +140 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE SEAHAWKS IN THE PLAYOFFS

13 Seahawks +186 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE 49ERS IN THE PLAYOFFS

12 Seahawks +167 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE 49ERS IN THE PLAYOFFS

Even assuming the 20112-15 Seahawks, a team that won 1 SB, were as dominant as the 1992-95 Cowboys, which won 3 SBs, the Packers were only knocked out by Seattle once as opposed to 3 times by the Cowboys.

Since 2010, the Packers were only been knocked out of the playoffs on 1 occasion by the team that went on to win the SB, in 2011 by the Giants.

6 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

They denied our claim to interview him, can we move on from this Schnider stuff... this is about our next GM

Schneider can still be our “next GM”. Until Green Bay hires someone not Schneider or Schneider formally declines the position himself... there is still reason to believe he “could” be the Packers target.

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A different time and place for sure.

In the 1990's Seattle was in the AFC....B|

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

92 Cowboys +166 -- PACKER DID NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

93 Cowboys +147 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE SB CHAMP COWBOYS IN THE PLAYOFFS

94 Cowboys +166 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE COWBOYS IN THE PLAYOFFS

95 Cowboys +144 --- PACKERS LOST TO THE SB CHAMP COWBOYS IN THE PLAYOFFS 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 Seahawks +146 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE CARDINALS IN THE PLAYOFFS

14 Seahawks +140 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE SEAHAWKS IN THE PLAYOFFS

13 Seahawks +186 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE 49ERS IN THE PLAYOFFS

12 Seahawks +167 -- PACKERS LOST TO THE 49ERS IN THE PLAYOFFS

Even assuming the 20112-15 Seahawks, a team that won 1 SB, were as dominant as the 1992-95 Cowboys, which won 3 SBs, the Packers were only knocked out by Seattle once as opposed to 3 times by the Cowboys.

Since 2010, the Packers were only been knocked out of the playoffs on 1 occasion by the team that went on to win the SB, in 2011 by the Giants.

The 2015 Arizona Cardinals were a ridiculously good +176 in point differential.

The 2013 49ers were a pretty good +134

The 2012 49ers were a relatively mediocre +124

It's not like the Packers were losing to bad teams. 

I really don't know who I want, it depends on which fluff article I've read the last. ATM it's Guten though I'd prefer someone external, like DaCosta who has a cool name and sounds smart. I really should charge for this deep analysis.

Anyway, there's something that's rubbing me the wrong way with all of this, and it's MM taking part in the GM search. Don't get me wrong, I love MM and I don't want him to leave, but if I was a candidate it wouldn't sit well with me if one of my future subordinates had a say in whether I'm hired or not. It sets up all kind of weird negative dynamics - should I be careful around this guy? Will I be able to fire him like I'm supposed to? Will he report directly to Murphy, skipping me?

Hopefully it's being handled better than it sounds because otherwise I can see it being a problem, at least for some external guys wanting the position.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The 2015 Arizona Cardinals were a ridiculously good +176 in point differential.

The 2013 49ers were a pretty good +134

The 2012 49ers were a relatively mediocre +124

It's not like the Packers were losing to bad teams. 

That is true, and if the claim is that there were MORE good NFC teams during that era I'd agree.

But those 92-95 Cowboy, and the 94 49er teams, in a different time and under different conditions, were really dominants squads.

Archived