What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

One thing to consider is the philosophy and style of football that Zimmer wants with this team. Since he’s gotten here, Zimmer has pretty much preached a stifling defense, and an efficient, clock controlling offense. For him, it’s about the slow grind. 

Is that Case? Keenum is a gunslinger at heart. Is the head coach good with that?

He has grandpa's attitude.  Unfortunately, he does not have grandpa's arm.

1 hour ago, Freakout said:

Can we pick Option C?  I would still rather see the team go after Kirk Cousins.  The team needs stability at quarterback.  Case is a fun story but this has Brian Hoyer written all over it.  It is easy to be emotional after yesterdays game but I trust Zimmer to make the right call.

If we are going to pay top QB money, then I also would prefer Cousins. Even with a SB win, and as much I think Case give us the best chance of the 3 current QBs to win going forward, I just don’t think he is worth it. With the defense and current offensive players this team is built for long term success. The perennial Franchise QBs are worth the price, but you can’t overpay for. QB who hasn’t proven he is at that level. 

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Of our three impending free agent quarterbacks, I think you simply have to make a choice on one of them and live or die with the decision. I don’t think you can re-sign two and hold an open competition without dividing the locker room. 

Why wouldn't the team examine other options?  Why not sign Brees or Cousins, as has been suggested?  Brees might come reasonably priced, given his age, and then we could draft a QB in the 1st round (Bake Mayfield for example).

3 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

If we are going to pay top QB money, then I also would prefer Cousins. Even with a SB win, and as much I think Case give us the best chance of the 3 current QBs to win going forward, I just don’t think he is worth it. With the defense and current offensive players this team is built for long term success. The perennial Franchise QBs are worth the price, but you can’t overpay for. QB who hasn’t proven he is at that level. 

This would be my first choice also, Cousins has performed well over the last three years straight, made a Pro bowl in that time span.

5 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Why wouldn't the team examine other options?  Why not sign Brees or Cousins, as has been suggested?  Brees might come reasonably priced, given his age, and then we could draft a QB in the 1st round (Bake Mayfield for example).

Why would he come at a reasonable price given how he played this year?

That ain't happening.

If he is going cheap anywhere it would be back to Nola

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

Why would he come at a reasonable price given how he played this year?

That ain't happening.

If he is going cheap anywhere it would be back to Nola

Because the broadcasters mentioned that his replacement was already on the roster?  He is ancient, although not as old as I am lol.  He doesn't have too many years left.

1 minute ago, perrynoid said:

Because the broadcasters mentioned that his replacement was already on the roster?  He is ancient, although not as old as I am lol.  He doesn't have too many years left.

Who?

Chase Daniel? He is also a free agent. He hasn't started anywhere. Or Taysom Hill, the 27 year old rookie?

Usually he will be demanding a pretty good amount.

I could see him maybe wanting to move on if the team didn't have any chance to make a run, but the Saints are one of the youngest teams outside of Brees and they had how many of their starters on the IR this year.

3 hours ago, Freakout said:

Can we pick Option C?  I would still rather see the team go after Kirk Cousins.  The team needs stability at quarterback.  Case is a fun story but this has Brian Hoyer written all over it.  It is easy to be emotional after yesterdays game but I trust Zimmer to make the right call.

I think Cousins is tagged & not an option for us.

2 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Brees is gonna return to Saints.

People are ignoring a major factor in the sub discussion about Cousins, and to a lesser extend, Brees (lesser cause its significantly more unrealistic). 

The Vikings wouldn't be able to begin negotiations with Cousins until the very same point that the 3 QBs on the roster can do the same with other teams. Meaning they would be entering the 2018 off-season with no QBs on the roster.  Which would be a very vulnerable position to be caught in.

I suppose its possible that one of the three is signed before the FA period begins, but it seems unlikely that would happen and that it would also be in their plans to pursue Cousins. It would require one to retained for backup money, which eliminates Keenum cause he ain't signing that offer. It also seems unlikely for Bradford or Teddy to sign such an offer too.

Bradford seems like a good bet to follow Shurmur (although maybe not to NY) and I can't help but feel that Teddy and his camp would say thanks but no thanks to a backup QB offer. 

They would have every reason (justified or otherwise) to believe that Teddy still has a promising career in front of him and they're going to pursue that opportunity.  Its unlikely he get a guaranteed starting position anywhere but if the Vikings are offering a low ball sheet its a clear indication that he isn't in their future plans and I'm sure they'll want to move on.

I have no idea what the team is planning at the position going forward, but signing one of these QBs before free agency and the draft has got to be a part of the picture. Otherwise they're opening themselves up to a lot of risk.

I think another factor being ignored in the Cousins talk is the ability to sell it to the rest of the roster. Case clearly has the teams confidence right now. Teddy and Sam likely do as well, and if Zim and <insert next OC here> pick any of these three, I think the team will rally 'round the family and go to work. I think and outsider would be viewed with skepticism; team chemistry is under rated. This isn't Madden.

Archived