What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

Case is the better QB right now and I don't think Teddy has a case. Anything regarding Teddy's upside is speculation.

However, there has to be a trade off in terms of money. Who'd you rather start Keenum at $15m+ or Teddy at $5m.

Or spend $25M on both. If I'm going to spend $25M on a QB, why not just make a run for Kirk Cousins?

So many question remain and I'm sure the playoffs will provide more perspective.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

I would love to have a Joe Flacco situation since that means we won the Super Bowl. 

And yet Baltimore is stuck with a mediocre to poor quarterback with a terrible contract. And guess what, they would still have the Super Bowl title even if they didn’t hand out that contract. 

If Case Keenum wins a Super Bowl, that’s awesome! But you don’t need to give him a big contract before the game to do that. 

Do you think that Keenum (or in theory, any quarterback) would win you another Super Bowl? That would be the goal starting February 6th, and the only reason to give him a starter’s caliber salary.

1 minute ago, perrynoid said:

Those were going to be my options also.  If we are going to pay Case 18 mil a year, why not shoot for a different FA QB?  Or, at least seriously consider it.

I still have no clarity on whether $18M a year would be enough to secure Case Keenum. The only thing that I know is that the team can keep him off the market with a franchise tag. That is a lot of money for a year but it does give them flexibility beyond '18. I will not be ready to make a decision on whether I would use the tag on Keenum until I have seen his play in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And yet Baltimore is stuck with a mediocre to poor quarterback with a terrible contract. And guess what, they would still have the Super Bowl title even if they didn’t hand out that contract. 

If Case Keenum wins a Super Bowl, that’s awesome! But you don’t need to give him a big contract before the game to do that. 

Do you think that Keenum (or in theory, any quarterback) would win you another Super Bowl? That would be the goal starting February 6th, and the only reason to give him a starter’s caliber salary.

Oh, I agree. I would not give out a contract before the Super Bowl. If the team won the Super Bowl with Case Keenum starting all the way through the playoffs I would be looking to lock him up for a year with the franchise tag so I could keep the band together for another run in '18.  Yes, I do think that the team could with another Super Bowl with Case Keenum in '18 if they win one this year. I don't know how likely it would be but I would give them better odds going into next year than I would have given them going into this year. Odds of winning the SB are never terribly high even if you have Tom Brady. There are 31 professional caliber teams and the Browns every year competing hard for the title.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What if Keenum elevates his play and that allows MN to win the super bowl? The year Flacco won, he was insanely productive during the playoffs. The Ravens had no reason to believe that they should not pay him. He earned it and was thought to be a franchise QB based on his playoff run. What would have led the Ravens to believe that his play would greatly fall off a few seasons later?

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So, you’re ok with a potential Joe Flacco situation? 

Contracts are supposed to be given based on what you expect a player to do for you going forward, not based on what they’ve done. 

So you are OK with a potential Steve Young walking way.    We can play it both ways Semper, but neither of us have a crystal ball to know what's going to happen.    At one time people thought we drafted our franchise QB in Christian Ponder.   At one time 32 teams passed over Tom Brady for 6 rounds before the Patriots threw a flyer out on him never expecting anything from a 6th rounder.   

1 minute ago, Freakish Mind said:

So you are OK with a potential Steve Young walking way.    We can play it both ways Semper, but neither of us have a crystal ball to know what's going to happen.    At one time people thought we drafted our franchise QB in Christian Ponder.   At one time 32 teams passed over Tom Brady for 6 rounds before the Patriots threw a flyer out on him never expecting anything from a 6th rounder.   

Steve Young had also shown high levels of play for multiple years in San Francisco, albeit for a few games at a time, before he took over for Montana (40 TDs/ 14 INTs in 20 starts). The 49ers knew what they had 

Ponder and Brady are irrelevant as you’re talking about players who were drafted at 22/23 years old. Not talking about a potential free agent who’s going to be 30. 

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

We aren't suggesting that Keemun is a hall of famer, are we?

Nope, just showing how ludicrous I can be in the opposite direction that Semper likes to go.   Everyone acts like they know exactly what this situation is like,  or is going to be like.  

3 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

Nope, just showing how ludicrous I can be in the opposite direction that Semper likes to go.   Everyone acts like they know exactly what this situation is like,  or is going to be like.  

Except there's statistical evidence backing semp up....can't say the same for you.

Pay Teddy the 8M you need to keep him, draft the QB you like (maybe he's not in this draft for Rick and co), and let some other team make the mistake of overpaying Keenum....yes even if we win the Superbowl.

2 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Except there's statistical evidence backing semp up....can't say the same for you.

Pay Teddy the 8M you need to keep him, draft the QB you like (maybe he's not in this draft for Rick and co), and let some other team make the mistake of overpaying Keenum....yes even if we win the Superbowl.

LIke someone else said, His cherry picking stats does not back him up.   

Here's a good site that goes into a little more depth on passing stats and it does show Keenum almost at the bottom on 3rd and long, but it also shows him 5th overall on all 3rd down conversions.     I could probably go through this list for any QB in the league and find one little stat that I can try to inflate to try to prove a point.  But looking at this entire list, Keenum is in the top half of the league in almost every catagory.  

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFL&rank=098&type=Passing&year=

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If I had to choose between Case, Teddy & Bradford, all at equal $ on a one year contract.. id go with Case.

Very easy decision under those premise.

I agree. All things being equal, have to take Keenum. I can only see an argument for Teddy if he comes with significantly less pay.

Archived