2019 Draftable RBs--Who Would You Take

Just Want A Title

31 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Jahvid Best played pretty well before all the concussions caught up with him.  You cannot win in the NFL today without a run game. Look at Dallas without Zeke. Look at the Jags, Bills and Titans in the postseason. Their QB play has been God awful.

QB: Matthew Stafford/Jake Rudock

RB: Derrius Guice/Ameer Abdullah/Zach Zenner

WR: Marvin Jones

LT: Taylor Decker

LG: Graham Glasgow/Joe Dahl

C: Travis Swanson/Graham Glasgow

RG: T.J. Lang

RT: Rick Wagner

TE: Eric Ebron

WR: Kenny Golladay/T.J. Jones

SLOT: Golden Tate/Theo Riddick

I don't disagree, however the Patriots don't tend to pick RB's in the first round. Unless Guice falls to us in the 2nd (or we trade up to the top of the 2nd) I don't expect him to be on our roster.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't disagree, however the Patriots don't tend to pick RB's in the first round. Unless Guice falls to us in the 2nd (or we trade up to the top of the 2nd) I don't expect him to be on our roster.

Patriots don't do anything of substance and yet they are a perennial powerhouse due to Brady/Belicheck. Anyone who follows the "Patriots way" is bound to fail. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Patriots don't do anything of substance and yet they are a perennial powerhouse due to Brady/Belicheck. Anyone who follows the "Patriots way" is bound to fail. 

You could very well be right. It doesn't mean that they won't try. The Patriots have only drafted two RB's in the last 7 years. Vereen was the highest and he was taken in the 2nd when they had extra picks. Quinn would be going against the core of his training by taking a guy like Guice in the first round. The only way I see that happening is if we trade back from 20 and he is still available later in the first.

The Lions way hasn't done a whole heck of a lot either, so it's worth giving the Patriots way a try.

I think I saw someone else post about Rashaad Penny but I am not sure.  He is listed at 5'11, 220lbs.  He is kind of intriguing.  He plays for a smaller school but he had a good game against Stanford and some other decent teams.  Check out his stats: 

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2144893/rashaad-penny/

My thoughts exactly. Royce Freeman is the kind of running back we need. Grind out the yards, blocks well & has very good hands for catching passes. The best part is, you can draft him in the third, possibly the forth round. If they pass on him, it’s a mistake. He’ll probably wind up on another team in the north & kill us every time he plays us. Most underrated RB in the draft. 

Lions running backs have been below average for years now. The argument is stupid not to waste a 1st round pick on a bell cow back who takes the job and never look back. Sanders 1st round, Sims 1st round no one else has ever come close to them in Detroit.

32 minutes ago, LION KING said:

Lions running backs have been below average for years now. The argument is stupid not to waste a 1st round pick on a bell cow back who takes the job and never look back. Sanders 1st round, Sims 1st round no one else has ever come close to them in Detroit.

Jahvid Best, 1st round. Ameer Abdullah, 2nd round. Best was pretty solid before he was injured while Abdullah is more or less a bust. Just because you take someone high doesn't guarantee they're going to be a stud. Reaching for a guy because you have a need tends to mean we're looking for another set of new coaches in a couple years. We have a large need at RB and it will likely be addressed this draft. At best it'll be in the 2nd round and more likely rounds 3-4. It's a fairly RB heavy class so we should be able to find someone in that range. We'll also likely bring in 1-2 guys through FA to compete.

53 minutes ago, LION KING said:

Lmao nice strategy.. no

Just now, Karnage84 said:

He does have the size Ameer doesn't have. Doesn't have the fumbling issues AA had coming in either.

As a runner same and he doesn't break to many tackles or running over people with the add weight.. tell me why he's rated late in the draft...

1 minute ago, Rockcity2 said:

As a runner same and he doesn't break to many tackles or running over people with the add weight.. tell me why he's rated late in the draft...

You could make the same arguments about Josh Adams. Is it the scheme, blocking, lack of want/ability? It's hard to say. I've seen Freeman go around rounds 2-5. His evaluation is definitely a work in progress. On other side of it, he has a nose for the end zone, is capable of making plays with his feet and as a receiver, has good size, decent enough speed and shifty for a guy his size. He might not be a pure bell-cow RB but we probably don't need a guy who will be. We need a guy that has some size, can move the pile when need be, convert 3rd and short and able to make plays out of backfield when necessary.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You could make the same arguments about Josh Adams. Is it the scheme, blocking, lack of want/ability? It's hard to say. I've seen Freeman go around rounds 2-5. His evaluation is definitely a work in progress. On other side of it, he has a nose for the end zone, is capable of making plays with his feet and as a receiver, has good size, decent enough speed and shifty for a guy his size. He might not be a pure bell-cow RB but we probably don't need a guy who will be. We need a guy that has some size, can move the pile when need be, convert 3rd and short and able to make plays out of backfield when necessary.

Freeman moves pills.. news to me

He's avg.. IMO

1 minute ago, Rockcity2 said:

Freeman moves pills.. news to me

He's avg.. IMO

Oregon doesn't run a power run game. He wasn't asked to do some of the things you're asking him to because of the system. Josh Adams is really hard to translate because he basically has a highway sized lane open due to two potential 1st round guys in McGlinchey and Nelson.

Archived