Jakuvious

Patrick Mahomes Reviews from Denver

I know there's the GDT, but I think this deserves a thread of it's own to some degree. Place to post ours and professional takes on how Mahomes did in his first start. Tape breakdowns, grades, etc. At the very least, I want to share Baldinger's breakdowns. If you don't follow him on Twitter, you should. Excellent analysis. Does a few (5 - 10 probably) plays from each game each week. If nothing else, it's good for keeping me excited about the future there.

Here's what PFF had to say (bonus Albert Wilson review):

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-kansas-city-chiefs-27-denver-broncos-24

QB PATRICK MAHOMES, 74.3 OVERALL GRADE

It was a solid debut for Chiefs’ rookie QB Mahomes. While he still had a lot of his college-style “scramble and try to make a play” game in him, he made some truly special throws. His across-the-body throw with 1:44 left in the game was one of the better throws you’ll see all year. Mahomes was much better when not under pressure, completing 14-of-19 passes for 174 yardscompared to 8-of-16 for 110 yards and a pick when pressured.

WR ALBERT WILSON, 90.8 OVERALL GRADE

With a few members of the starting offense sitting out of the game, Mahomes relied mainly on Wilson as his main target. Wilson delivered with a 10-reception performance (11 targets) for 147 yards. Seven of his catches went for first downs while two others turned long-distance situations into short ones. Wilson averaged an unbelievable 7.00 yards per route run on the game.

I think it goes without saying I think Mahomes's grade should be higher there, but I imagine they punished him pretty harshly for the pick he threw and the deep ball on the last drive that could've been intercepted.

Fun bit about how Mahomes did against Denver compared to other QBs this year:

I think it goes without saying I'm ecstatic about the performance. Not to pull away from the fact that we have a playoff game upcoming, but he showed everything I needed to see to confirm my hopes. And he was polished in a way I did not expect yet. He had the two aforementioned bad plays. The interception simply sailed on him, and there was the ill-advised deep pass on the final drive. But honestly, I think the latter was the only poor choice he made all game. Even on the interception, it wasn't necessarily the decision that was the problem, just the throw. Against a defense that tries really hard to force you into making bad decisions, he just didn't. Multiple times with a blitzer baring down on him he did the correct thing. It was clear he was given full access to the offense, as he could be seen adjusting the play and the protection fairly regularly. The lack of RB impacted formations a bit, but when we went play action or under center he looked completely natural. He showed mobility in the pocket, yet a desire to keep his eyes downfield and stick with the pass and play, which I know was one concern coming out. I feel like the word raw was stamped all over all of his scouting reports, but he just didn't look that way this week. And if he can do what he did with Albert Wilson, I can't imagine him with Tyreek Hill. He was surrounded by guys who should not be ready to play against a Denver defense, and he took command.

I did have two concerns, from his play. He'll definitely need to learn to pull back a bit on throws. Robinson dropped two early, and the interception was a definite overthrow, and I think he was just putting way more on the passes than he needed to, at times. That arm is awesome, but sometimes you need to throw an Alex Smith kind of pass. Those drops getting tipped by the WR instead could lead to more INTs. There's just something to be said for making the passes easier to catch when they can be. That, and the deep throw late does bring questions about situational awareness. First two minute drill in his NFL career, but you have to know that the FG wins it, and we have a phenomenal kicker. No need to be the hero once we reach the opponent's side of the field. Just get the safe 10 - 20 yards you need.

Throughout the year people have said Alex was struggling because of no running game. Mahomes did what he did with literally ZERO healthy HB playing outside of a few series. Our main HB was a FB. Imagine his potential with Hunt and the threat of a real run game plus the rest of the starters playing...

As far as his overthrow and velocity, I wonder if that was his first time playing in such a high altitude. That with the adrenaline could have feasibly been the issue. He did seem to get it under control as the game went on.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Throughout the year people have said Alex was struggling because of no running game. Mahomes did what he did with literally ZERO healthy HB playing outside of a few series. Our main HB was a FB. Imagine his potential with Hunt and the threat of a real run game plus the rest of the starters playing...

As far as his overthrow and velocity, I wonder if that was his first time playing in such a high altitude. That with the adrenaline could have feasibly been the issue. He did seem to get it under control as the game went on.

I think he overthrew DAT who's like 5'7. Harris probably would've caught that, or got a hand on it lol.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article192702124.html

“I saw enough of Patrick Mahomes to think Alex Smith is gonna be a free agent next year,” Talib said Tuesday on the Vic Lombardi Show. “That guy can play some ball, Vic. ... He’s smart. I seen him checking protections, I seen him reading the defense. We know how strong his arm is, man. The guy is a competitor, so I think Alex Smith, he definitely might be on the market next year.”

“The guy got an AK-47 for an arm, Vic,” Talib said. “He can throw it where ever he wants. It doesn’t matter if he’s running left, running right. It doesn’t matter. The guy has got a gun for an arm, and it shows on the field, definitely.”

Posted (edited)

I wonder how long it takes him to overthrow Hill on a go route? Smith has never managed it.

It was a good rookie debut, and against parts of an elite defense. That said, there was a definite exhibition feel to the game.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Posted (edited)

Before i want to post my opinion on Mahomes in this game, i want to give a quick introduction of myself.

I'm 24 years old, living across the sea in Germany. How does a german becomes a Chiefs fan? I was tired of the developement of soccer. The excitement for me was gone (i really, really love the salary cap btw, that keeps the competition every year interesting) so i searched for something new. I always liked football related movies, and i guess that lead me to watching a game. It was the playoff game of the Chiefs vs Indy 4 years ago. Despite the fact that the Chiefs lost the game, i got interested in them and started following them the next season. From that on i digged deeper into the game and into the Chiefs, which lead me pretty fast to this forum.

That being said, i was a huge fan of Mahomes before the draft. He has something special in him and with the right coach and the right team i was convinced, that he could release that. Obviously the Chiefs seemed to be a pretty good landing spot, so I really hoped the Chiefs would draft him. Obviously i was so excited when that really happened. In a lower rate i felt the same excitement when the Chiefs announced, that Mahomes would be the starter against Denver.

So i sat in front of the TV during the night from sunday to monday with high hopes and tried to lower my expectations, but ultimately i ended up being really pumped up about his performance. He started a bit slow into the game. U could really feel that he needed some time to acclimate to the game, but still u could see some great throws. He really couldn't make a better 1st completion in his career. That throw to Harris was just beautiful. The Interception was really rough, but nothing i'm worried about. I looked up a few games before the draft and i can't remember i ever saw him making such an interception in any of those games. I'm not concerned about that. Overall i think he made good decisions. That interception probably wasn't even a bad decision, he probably just overthrow his receiver. I liked what he was doing under pressure. Keeping his head up and staying in the pocket, whenever he had some time to do so. Ofc u could see some flashes of that "gunslinger" mentality, but that's something u probably can't get completely out of him and something u probably shouldn't get out of him. I already liked the improvement i saw in that regard in comparison to his college days. I'm feeling a bit sorry for Bray, getting in that game and screw up the handoff on his first snap, but on the other hand that lead us to see Mahomes in a 2-minute drill, which he executed pretty good as well. Playing with the backups against the starters of the Broncos was a hard task, but overall he managed that well. Definitely a performance that keeps me excited for the next season, since i think he will be the starter then. I just can't see how Smiths salary would fit into next years cap, but that's something i don't have much knowledge about. Mahomes also made some mistakes, which is good so that will hopefully help him to improve in the offseason even more. Ultimately i hope we indeed found the QB of the future.

Edited by Edge

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

Before i want to post my opinion on Mahomes in this game, i want to give a quick introduction of myself.

I'm 24 years old, living across the sea in Germany. How does a german becomes a Chiefs fan? I was tired of the developement of soccer. The excitement for me was gone (i really, really love the salary cap btw, that keeps the competition every year interesting) so i searched for something new. I always liked football related movies, and i guess that lead me to watching a game. It was the playoff game of the Chiefs vs Indy 4 years ago. Despite the fact that the Chiefs lost the game, i got interested in them and started following them the next season. From that on i digged deeper into the game and into the Chiefs, which lead me pretty fast to this forum.

That being said, i was a huge fan of Mahomes before the draft. He has something special in him and with the right coach and the right team i was convinced, that he could release that. Obviously the Chiefs seemed to be a pretty good landing spot, so I really hoped the Chiefs would draft him. Obviously i was so excited when that really happened. In a lower rate i felt the same excitement when the Chiefs announced, that Mahomes would be the starter against Denver.

So i sat in front of the TV from sunday to monday with high hopes and tried to lower my expectations, but ultimately i ended up being really pumped up about his performance. He started a bit slow into the game. U could really feel that he needed some time to acclimate to the game, but still u could see some great throws. He really couldn't make a better 1st completion in his career. That throw to Harris was just beautiful. The Interception was really rough, but nothing i'm worried about. I looked up a few games before the draft and i can't remember i ever saw him making such an interception in any of those games. I'm not concerned about that. Overall i think he made good decisions. That interception probably wasn't even a bad decision, he probably just overthrow his receiver. I liked what he was doing under pressure. Keeping his head up and staying in the pocket, whenever he had some time to do so. Ofc u could see some flashes of that "gunslinger" mentality, but that's something u probably can't get completely out of him and something u probably shouldn't get out of him. I already liked the improvement i saw in that regard in comparison to his college days. I'm feeling a bit sorry for Bray, getting in that game and screw up the handoff on his first snap, but on the other hand that lead us to see Mahomes in a 2-minute drill, which he executed pretty good as well. Playing with the backups against the starters of the Broncos was a hard task, but overall he managed that well. Definitely a performance that keeps me excited for the next season, since i think he will be the starter then. I just can't see how Smiths salary would fit into next years cap, but that's something i don't have much knowledge about. Mahomes also made some mistakes, which is good so that will hopefully help him to improve in the offseason even more. Ultimately i hope we indeed found the QB of the future.

Welcome! We currently have a resident German on the board ( @KC_Guy ) so don't feel alone ?

Enjoyed your take on PM15, a lot of us are excited for his future!

7 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Welcome! We currently have a resident German on the board ( @KC_Guy ) so don't feel alone ?

Enjoyed your take on PM15, a lot of us are excited for his future!

Definitely welcome to the board @Edge. Always great to see new guys jump onto the site!  

7 hours ago, Edge said:

So i sat in front of the TV during the night from sunday to monday with high hopes and tried to lower my expectations, but ultimately i ended up being really pumped up about his performance. He started a bit slow into the game. U could really feel that he needed some time to acclimate to the game, but still u could see some great throws. He really couldn't make a better 1st completion in his career. That throw to Harris was just beautiful. The Interception was really rough, but nothing i'm worried about. I looked up a few games before the draft and i can't remember i ever saw him making such an interception in any of those games. I'm not concerned about that. Overall i think he made good decisions. That interception probably wasn't even a bad decision, he probably just overthrow his receiver. I liked what he was doing under pressure. Keeping his head up and staying in the pocket, whenever he had some time to do so. Ofc u could see some flashes of that "gunslinger" mentality, but that's something u probably can't get completely out of him and something u probably shouldn't get out of him. I already liked the improvement i saw in that regard in comparison to his college days. I'm feeling a bit sorry for Bray, getting in that game and screw up the handoff on his first snap, but on the other hand that lead us to see Mahomes in a 2-minute drill, which he executed pretty good as well. Playing with the backups against the starters of the Broncos was a hard task, but overall he managed that well. Definitely a performance that keeps me excited for the next season, since i think he will be the starter then. I just can't see how Smiths salary would fit into next years cap, but that's something i don't have much knowledge about. Mahomes also made some mistakes, which is good so that will hopefully help him to improve in the offseason even more. Ultimately i hope we indeed found the QB of the future.

Welcome welcome. Glad to have you on board.

I share your optimism, if it isn't obvious from me making this thread. I told myself to watch that game with tempered expectations and instead it skyrocketed the level of hype I have for the guy.

Thx guys. I'm looking forward to talk with you about the Chiefs and not having to deal with the Patriots or Seahawks only, who probably receive the most attention in our media.