The Future of Jordan Matthews

Phire

Just read some articles and was reminded that this is Jordan's last year of his rookie contract.

What's in store for his future?

This sounds more like a pre-TC conspiracy theory but, nonetheless:

There is talk around the locker room that Matthews’ issue is more serious than tendinitis. But there is talk elsewhere in the building that Matthews could have practiced more in the spring, that the real issue is his contract. This will be the final year of the rookie deal Matthews signed after being drafted in the second round in 2014. He will make $1,094,000, according to Spotrac.com. There has been no indication that the team, tight against the projected 2018 cap, has done anything toward extending Matthews.

Matthews denied his contract is an issue in May. Even if he is unhappy, sitting out with a phantom injury would be very out of character for Matthews, who has a reputation as one of the hardest workers in the Eagles locker room.

These are very big assumptions. The Eagles could always choose to re-sign Matthews in 2018, after evaluating what he can do once no longer miscast as a No. 1 receiver. Furthermore, neither Agholor nor Hollins is a sure bet to replace Matthews’ production, never mind the ramifications a trade would have on the depth chart were there an injury at the position.

Actually our whole WR situation beyond this year is questionable.

We have guys like Matthews and Jeffery on one-year deals. Have others locked in like Agholor for at least another year or two. And beyond that, Torrey Smith and some unproven rookies.

Is Jordan's future based on how Agholor looks this year?

Yea it doesn't sound like him...he's been pretty above that stuff since he got here.
But guys do stuff to protect themselves when it comes to getting paid sometimes.

It sounds like something somewhere wanted to float, get the fans against him.

But beyond that, besides a truly remarkable season, I'm not sure Nelson will have any impact on anything we do.
Save for maybe him not being terrible for the first time and keeping himself on the roster going forward.

Matthews has been so frustrating, because he has the mindset...puts in the time. But the drops when he is counted on kill you sometimes more than the guys you expect it from.

I'm not sure if we keep both WRs (Jordan & Alshon), there is a decent crop of Wideouts up for contracts next year.
So while the cap is expected to go up, so will that number for wideouts, and I think Alshon gets first cut of the pie here.
But if we can get Matthews back still on a team friendly contract, ok...but he might find someone to overspend on him

Overall I like what we did, best we could do this year probably.
Get a bunch of guys in here and see who gels with your young Franchise QB, and then lock them in.

6 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

For a big guy, he can't hold his ground to safe his life, he gets throw around like hes Jeremy Maclin, makes zero sense, hes just not strong at all for his size. 

And for a guy who ran a 4.44 at the combine he shows none of that on the field. He's an anomaly all around. Big but not that imposing, giant hands but can't catch, 4.4 wheels but can't get off the LOS unless he's in the slot.

I think if JMatt can stay healthy he'll have a pretty nice year for us.  He clearly has some decent chemistry with Wentz. As for the whole contract speculation I would be incredibly surprised if that is the case.  You don't go to friggin North Dakota to workout with your QB and then sit out workouts shortly thereafter.

32 minutes ago, Jlash said:

And for a guy who ran a 4.44 at the combine he shows none of that on the field. He's an anomaly all around. Big but not that imposing, giant hands but can't catch, 4.4 wheels but can't get off the LOS unless he's in the slot.

Well, a 4.44 has nothing to do with getting off the LOS.  That's all technique.  And he's clearly someone that doesn't have that true football speed, with that said, he's still pretty solid after the catch and can create some separation.  His hands are easily his most frustrating trait.  

Honestly this year we are going to see who does well out of the top 4 guys, We'll keep 2 or 3 and let the ones who don't gel with Carson walk. Mack Hollins will be a more prominent player next year and I still have high hopes for Greg Ward as well.

24 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I don't have any expectations of Greg Ward, but I'm hoping at least Hollins can develop into a situational deep threat guy. 

He seems to be working his tail off but we'll have to see if that translates. We just don't know at this point. I'm excited to see guys like Hollins go up against the full first team defense.

3 minutes ago, Phire said:

He seems to be working his tail off but we'll have to see if that translates. We just don't know at this point. I'm excited to see guys like Hollins go up against the full first team defense.

Yea I'm glad Ward has shown some skills. He'd have to really blow the team away on special teams to make it though.

Archived