The Future of Jordan Matthews

Phire

I've said this months ago. His value is limited. Is he more talented than Smith? Most likely. But Smith will "start" over him because he's strictly a slot receiver. He's a good player but he's on his last year and there's no way he's getting the 8-10 million he'd expect from a team from the Eagles. If EVERYTHING goes to crap then maybe we panic and resign him long term but if Alshon performs like he should, it's over for J-Matt as an Eagle. And I'd love to at least gauge his value around the league as a trade candidate. If we can possibly land a 3rd for him, he's as good as gone for me. 

3 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

J Dub throwing shade on Daniel Jeremiah's mock drafts lolxD 

It's funny cause he's wrong.

Jeremiah graded out as the best mock drafter in 2015 and 2016 according to BGN's scoring system.

2015 NFL Mock Draft Grades: Scoring the Experts

Best mock drafter: Daniel Jeremiah. The former Eagles and Ravens scout had 29 of his picks go in the first round, which kept his score extremely low.

2016 NFL Mock Draft Grades: Scoring the Experts

Best mock drafter: Daniel Jeremiah, who also topped the charts last year. Jeremiah mocked four players who did not go in the 1st round, but he hit on or was within 5 points on 22 of his picks, once again giving him the edge over Todd McShay.

He fell off a bit in 2017, but he still wasn't bad.

2017 NFL mock draft grades: Scoring the Experts

Daniel Jeremiah’s reign as king ended, and ended sharply. After two years of acing the field, Jeremiah barely finished in the top half, but he can claim a victory: he had the most picks that went at their actual draft position.

18 hours ago, Hammertime52 said:

Everyone is over J Matt because Agolor has looked better than usual in shorts. Wow. Jordan isnt anything special but hes still a good receiver Carson needs

I'm not sure I would classify Jordan as a "good" receiver. He's a solid receiver. To me a good WR is like Emmanuel Sanders, Brandin Cooks, DeSean Jackson, etc.

A lot of this is cause Matthews is in the last year of his deal and the Eagles have given no indication that he is in their plans. 

There is also the fact that Agholor is superior athletically along with being better at attacking the ball in the air, running routes, and after the catch.

If he has got his confidence back and is playing up to his ability, then people would rather go with the more dynamic player that is likely to be with the team next year.

Matthews being in his last year is definitely a factor, but also consider that we're in this position of luxury mainly due to Alshon who is also on a 1-year deal. I wouldn't be comfortable at all going into next year with Agholor and Smith as our #1 and #2. First preference is to lock up Alshon long term (assuming he's as good as promised) and if not, I'd be open to signing Matthews.

1 hour ago, Phire said:

Matthews being in his last year is definitely a factor, but also consider that we're in this position of luxury mainly due to Alshon who is also on a 1-year deal. I wouldn't be comfortable at all going into next year with Agholor and Smith as our #1 and #2. First preference is to lock up Alshon long term (assuming he's as good as promised) and if not, I'd be open to signing Matthews.

Why should Jeffery's status with the Eagles have any barring on Matthews?

Jeffery is an outside receiver that can also do good things in the slot.

Matthews is strictly a slot receiver and won't be replacing Jeffery if he leaves.

Sure,  we could keep Jordan in the slot, but then that moves Agholor to the outside when he very well could be best in the slot and better than Matthews there.

Jordan just doesn't move the needle. He's a solid receiver, but not worth paying a decent chunk of change. If some other team wants to look at his inflated stats from previous years and give him a nice contract, then I'll be happy for Matthews. He's a hard worker and a great person.

If I'm the Eagles no matter if Jeffery leaves. I do not cave and just give Matthews more money to keep him around. I mean if he wants to accept a low offer and be no more than depth (WR 3 or WR4), then sign on the dotted line by all means. I don't think that is something he will do and nor should he when he'll likely get a better offer elsewhere.

Also, I'm pretty confident Jeffery is going to re-sign with the Eagles.

Dude seems to love Carson (one of the reasons he came here) and being an Eagle.... although that will probably change when we start losing.

If something goes wrong and we can't keep him, then we turn our attention to the 2018 and 2019 drafts.

Really doubt Sammy Watkins or DeAndre Hopkins likely makes it to the open market.

10 hours ago, Fitz2k2 said:

What happens if we trade jmatt and one our wr's go does down in a game?I guess marcus johnson n mack hollins can fill that void

If this man plays good i could see J Dub become easily expendable. Hollins is 6'4 210 and athletic, i would be uncomfortable if was J Dub and i had that guy breathing down my jorts for my spot. 

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Mac Hollins isn't a threat to JMatt, he's a threat to Torrey if Anyone! 

The hate for JM reminds me of Maclin. ?

Well he has more a similar skill set to Matthews. and Matthews will be a free agent. So you could be potentially just plugging  in another guy to his role. 

Where as Smith speed and ability to get deep and catch deep will put separate him from them. Rumor is Carson really like Smith to. 

Archived