The Future of Jordan Matthews

Phire

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I think he just overrates J Matt and believes that anyone who doesn't hold him in the same high esteem is hating.

maybe. Jmatt is just a slot receiver we shouldn't be ready to throw the guy parades because we had no better options the last 3 years. 

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

maybe. Jmatt is just a slot receiver we shouldn't be ready to throw the guy parades because we had no better options the last 3 years. 

To my knowledge "We Still Don't" have better options in the slot until proven otherwise. It's like you guys Assume anyone can step in and put up 75rec ,900yds and 6+TD a year?? It's like you guys expect ODB , AB, Julio type numbers despite playing in the slot and having 5-6 different QB throwing him the ball the past 3 years? 

Suggesting we should trade or move on without seeing what he can do in year two of this Offense and with Wentz is hating IMO. Just like it was for Maclin before "He" blew up. That's all.

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Why should Jeffery's status with the Eagles have any barring on Matthews?

Jeffery is an outside receiver that can also do good things in the slot.

Matthews is strictly a slot receiver and won't be replacing Jeffery if he leaves.

Sure,  we could keep Jordan in the slot, but then that moves Agholor to the outside when he very well could be best in the slot and better than Matthews there.

Jordan just doesn't move the needle. He's a solid receiver, but not worth paying a decent chunk of change. If some other team wants to look at his inflated stats from previous years and give him a nice contract, then I'll be happy for Matthews. He's a hard worker and a great person.

If I'm the Eagles no matter if Jeffery leaves. I do not cave and just give Matthews more money to keep him around. I mean if he wants to accept a low offer and be no more than depth (WR 3 or WR4), then sign on the dotted line by all means. I don't think that is something he will do and nor should he when he'll likely get a better offer elsewhere.

I hear what you're saying, but I've seen this team get rid of Jordan Matthews caliber players before only to completely fail to replace them, leading to depth issues. I guess my outlook is that the devil you know is better than the one you don't. Every roster is made up of guys like Jordan Matthews: players who are average to above-average. I do fully understand the money aspect and that could be an issue, but we can only speculate as to what he'll ask at this point.

If we re-sign Jeffery we have more flexibility to play guys in the slot. At that point we just put the best man at that slot position. Whether that's Agholor or someone else, it doesn't really matter.

If we lose out on Jeffery then we're suddenly looking at moving Agholor outside. Now how many known commodities do we have? Guys like Mack Hollins haven't played a snap so it would be silly to believe they could adequately replace any level of production. We could draft someone to fill the ranks but again that's complete speculation and not a guarantee to occur.

Jeffery and Matthews are linked because, in the event Jeffery isn't re-signed, there'd be a domino effect for all of the other receivers. Someone would have to fill Jeffery's spot. And then someone will have to fill the spot held by whoever replaces Jeffery. In the absence of any known commodity, I'd feel more comfortable putting the devil we know in Jordan Matthews into that slot position.

Imagine if Jeffery asks for ridiculous money. We can't match another team. He bails. Now imagine Agholor is the same player from his first two years. Now imagine Torrey Smith doesn't look like his Ravens self. Imagine Mack Hollins is only OK. Now we're suddenly wishing we had Jordan Matthews.

3 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Has there been any indication what type of salary Matthews is looking for? If his role is diminished I can't see him commanding a lot. Its not like there are many teams salivating at the idea of signing him in FA. 

Not that I've seen, maybe someone has seen something reported before though.

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

To my knowledge "We Still Don't" have better options in the slot until proven otherwise.

That's fair.

It's like you guys Assume anyone can step in and put up 75rec ,900yds and 6+TD a year??

I don't know how many times I've said this already, but Jordan's stats are not a good way to judge the quality of player he is. 

Suggesting we should trade or move on without seeing what he can do in year two of this Offense and with Wentz is hating IMO.

Wentz isn't going to make Matthews into something he isn't. He isn't suddenly gonna get more athletic. He isn't suddenly gonna become an outside receiver. He isn't suddenly gonna have great hands. 

7 hours ago, Phire said:

We could draft someone to fill the ranks but again that's complete speculation and not a guarantee to occur.

Literally all of this we are discussing is speculation and not a guarantee to occur.

Anyways, I'm only comfortable signing him if the money is low and I don't think he'll take what I'd offer.

4 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Literally all of this we are discussing is speculation and not a guarantee to occur.

While true, some things are more speculative than others. For example, it's extreme speculation that we will draft position ___ in the upcoming draft. But then it's less speculative to assume that Agholor will be who we saw in the first two seasons. One is backed by some evidence while the other is mostly lacking in evidence.

22 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

To my knowledge "We Still Don't" have better options in the slot until proven otherwise. It's like you guys Assume anyone can step in and put up 75rec ,900yds and 6+TD a year?? It's like you guys expect ODB , AB, Julio type numbers despite playing in the slot and having 5-6 different QB throwing him the ball the past 3 years? 

Suggesting we should trade or move on without seeing what he can do in year two of this Offense and with Wentz is hating IMO. Just like it was for Maclin before "He" blew up. That's all.

Alshon will take on those numbers and do them better. Your slot receiver isn't supposed to be your leading receiver. 

Edelman, Fitz, Landry etc,  might argue otherwise. If anything as I've said from the jump the additions of AJ and even Torrey to an extent stretching the field, will open up an increase Matthews and Ertz's numbers inside. That won't change for either IMO "if healthy".

Archived