Catch rate for Doctson needs to improve

turtle28

I was listening to Cooley & Kevin this morning and they were talking about the catch rate of our players. Most of them were in the 60s, but Doctson’s was a cause for concern.

Over the second half of the year Doctson was our most targeted wide receiver. His catch rate for the season was 44%. To break the top 100 in catch rate he needs to get to 60%. Of course that includes RBs & TEs too who almost always are in the 60s & 70s because they catch shorter passes.

Still, this must improve if we are going to have a successful passing game in the future with him as one of our most targeted guys.

For comparison, Crowder and Davis’ were in the 60s and Ryan Grant’s was 69%.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I was listening to Cooley & Kevin this morning and they were talking about the catch rate of our players. Most of them were in the 60s, but Doctson’s was a cause for concern.

Over the second half of the year Doctson was our most targeted wide receiver. His catch rate for the season was 44%. To break the top 100 in catch rate he needs to get to 60%. Of course that includes RBs & TEs too who almost always are in the 60s & 70s because they catch shorter passes.

Still, this must improve if we are going to have a successful passing game in the future with him as one of our most targeted guys.

Yup. Was listening as well.

For as many drops that Crowder had, he was in the 60's. The fact that our 1st rounder is in the 40's is putrid.

He's been very disappointing . Slow off the line .. Comes outta breaks very slowly--really doesn't have a break--just a rounded out turn. Drops, injuries. Seems they drafted him solely on his leaping ability.. Still want to throw that end zone fade. 

At this point, his next contract will likely be somewhere else, however-- he's still young and it's early.. 

Doctson seems just so raw and tries to rely on his natural athletic ability to catch passes. 

On a day when a lot of wide receivers disappointed with slow runs, Doctson delivered a 4.50 official 40-yard dash time. Even better, his lower-body explosion numbers were nearly off-the-chart: a 41-inch vertical jump and 131-inch broad jump were first- and second-best among receivers, respectively, and second- and third-best out of all players tested through the first two days.

Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 6' 2" 68
Weight 202 lbs 53
Arm Length 31⅞" 45
Hand Size 9⅞" 82
10 Yard Split 1.58s 40
40 Yard Dash 4.5s 55
Vertical Jump 41" 95
Broad Jump 131" 94
3-Cone Drill 6.84s 66
20 Yard Shuttle 4.08s 81
60 Yard Shuttle 11.06s 90
Bench Press 14 reps 46

NFL Combine Numbers. 

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks compared Doctson to Houston Texans star DeAndre Hopkins. Bleacher Report NFL Draft Lead Writer Matt Miller compared Doctson to Keenan Allen and had Doctson at No. 35 on his most recent Big Board.

Frankly,  I see raw talent. He doesn't run good routes, he doesn't sell routes, and his ability to seperate is terrible. He needs to work with someone this off season that has experience. I want to see A LOT more next season. But adding a veteran WR to be #1 will help him immensely. 

The good news is he’s still young, the bad news is, he’s got a long way to go. Some of his drops were inexcusable this year. I think he’ll get better but I definitely agree with those who don’t believe he’ll ever be a #1.

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The good news is he’s still young, the bad news is, he’s got a long way to go. Some of his drops were inexcusable this year. I think he’ll get better but I definitely agree with those who don’t believe he’ll ever be a #1.

Some of those catches where hard as hell tho . 

He struggled about as much as I thought he would. He was basically a rookie and for some reason the learning curve seems to be much steeper for receivers. He could flame out but I think he'll be much better next year and really start to come into his own by year 4. Sadly he was already older when we picked him so we won't get a lot of productive years out of him. 

The team need two decent starting WRs. We currently don't have any on board.  We've had some great No.2 receivers working hard trying to be a No.1 receiver (Moss & Garcon), but we haven't had an explosive top gun No.1 wide receiver that I can recall in a very long time (Art Monk?). Grant and Crowder would both be no. 3s on any other team and Doctson just doesn't have that special gift required to be a No.1 (The ability to make amazing catches that win games!).

On 1/2/2018 at 8:54 AM, turtle28 said:

Do they have any sources for this? I mean, I'm not doubting it, but it would be nice to verify.

11 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Some of those catches where hard as hell tho . 

Sure “some of them” like 1 a game, but a lot of them were easy. Still, he was drafted because he was a freak athelete who could go up and make those 50/50 catches over corners. He needs to make those catches like other guys who are his size and of his athletic ability do regularly.

Archived