2017 Postseason Discussion Thread

iLikeDefense

Well 2017 was definitely not our year with us ending at 5-11 and missing the playoffs for the 2nd straight year. With that said, there is football to be played for 8 other teams.

Here are the matchups:

Wild Card:
Saturday, 1/6/18
Tennessee Titans at Kansas City Chiefs
Atlanta Falcons at Los Angeles Rams

Sunday, 1/7/18
Buffalo Bills at Jacksonville Jaguars
Carolina Panthers at New Orleans Saints

Divisional Round:
Saturday, 1/13/18
Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles
Tennessee Titans at New England Patriots

Sunday, 1/14/18
Jacksonville Jaguars at Pittsburgh Steelers
New Orleans Saints at Minnesota Vikings

Conference Championships:
Sunday, 1/21/18
TBD at TBD
TBD at TBD

Super Bowl:
TBD

Thought and predictions?

7 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

He's trash bruh..*sarcasm font*

I'm actually pretty excited to watch that game just to see two franchises in the playoffs that haven't been there in a while even though they aren't that good. But yeah the Bills literally tanked and still made the playoffs. The AFC is an embarrassment. Disappointed in the Chargers for not making it

BUF making it in after the whole debacle with Peterman is a great story for BUF fans - but no Shady McCoy (or at least severely impaired), and that run D crippled with the trade at the deadline with Dareus headed to JAX, that's a one-and-done for BUF @ JAX.   If the Jags had anyone but Bortles as their QB (ok, anyone but Bortles and our QB's), they'd be my AFC favorite - that D can roll with anyone, hiccup vs. a surging 49ers on the road aside (like how we completely crapped the bed Week 15 vs. PIT in our SB50 season). 

It's crazy watching all of Week 17 unfold on the NFC - LAR resting all their guys, and NO letting Tampa back in - it's almost like they wanted to be the 4 seed....and get PHI week 2 with a W.    ¬¬

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I'm actually pretty excited to watch that game just to see two franchises in the playoffs that haven't been there in a while even though they aren't that good. But yeah the Bills literally tanked and still made the playoffs. The AFC is an embarrassment. Disappointed in the Chargers for not making it

Chargers have no one but themselves to blame, the MIA game was theirs, and they came out flat in KC week 15.   Definitely the most talented team.  When they get G Forrest Lamp, their OL gets even better in run blocking (that's where they struggle, pass pro they are about a top 10 unit), and once they get a run-stuffing DT in their new 4-3, and move Perryman fulltime to the Mike, watch out.   Gonna be tough to unseat them from the next 2+ years, at least until old man Rivers' decline phase starts.

33 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Chargers have no one but themselves to blame, the MIA game was theirs, and they came out flat in KC week 15.   Definitely the most talented team.  When they get G Forrest Lamp, their OL gets even better in run blocking (that's where they struggle, pass pro they are about a top 10 unit), and once they get a run-stuffing DT in their new 4-3, and move Perryman fulltime to the Mike, watch out.   Gonna be tough to unseat them from the next 2+ years, at least until old man Rivers' decline phase starts.

This is why I dont get going an getting a higj priced veteran qb  in free agency

One thing that has me excited about the playoffs this year is how many new teams and new players we're going to see. Yeah, the Pats and Steelers are there again, to no one's surprise, but there's no Seahawks, there's no Packers, instead we have the Rams, Titans, Jaguars, Bills, Saints, Eagles and Vikings. It's nice to see new teams and new faces in the postseason. 

That being said, it's probably going to end up with New England hoisting the Lombardi again. 

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

One thing that has me excited about the playoffs this year is how many new teams and new players we're going to see. Yeah, the Pats and Steelers are there again, to no one's surprise, but there's no Seahawks, there's no Packers, instead we have the Rams, Titans, Jaguars, Bills, Saints, Eagles and Vikings. It's nice to see new teams and new faces in the postseason. 

That being said, it's probably going to end up with New England hoisting the Lombardi again. 

As long as KC beats TEN and JAX beats BUF, then at least we'd have the 3 teams with the best shot to dethrone the Pats left.   BUF & TEN would be fodder for Brady & Belicheck.    If JAX had any QB other than Bortles (who after a nice run, has gone back to the Bortles of old), they'd be my favorite to get out of the AFC to Minnesota for SB52.   

The crazy part was watching both LAR & NO maneuver themselves to the 4 spot.   Once the CAR-ATL outcome was known, the Saints let off the pedal in a big way vs. Tampa.  The players no doubt went all out to win, but no doubt the FO isn't that upset that they are in the 4 spot with a L instead of the 3 spot with a W.   

Assuming LAR beats ATL (which is never a given with a 1st playoff game for a QB), LAR-MIN will be an awesome rematch.  NO-PHI would have been amazing with Wentz there, but even though they have HFA the Eagles likely go in as home underdogs if it's the Saints.    Crazy that MIN could end up hosting 3 games if they can make it through the meat grinder NFC bracket. 

The best part about Wild Card Weekend is the brightest young stars get to show their stuff - in the NFL, we have LAR with Goff/Gurley, NO with Kamara/Thomas (and old man Brees), CAR with C-McCaffrey (criminally underutilized in high leverage situations), and of course, ATL with Julio and the 2 RB's.   On the AFC side, we get more K-Hunt, Kelce and T-Hill for KC, TEN gets to unwrap Derrick Henry (who's been way better than Demarco Murray, but couldn't unseat him due to the coaches' inexplicable love of ineffective vets - CAR V2), while we see if a healthier Leonard Fournette can regain his 1H magic along with that elite D that's shown cracks of late, and......well, BUF is a feel-good story lol.

I'm routing for Mcvay he was my choice for head coach. I could be petty because we missed the boat but I'm routing for the guy what sold me on him was when he was in Washington. Apparently the ship wasn't ran right because of the Shannahans and the owner. He was the lone bright spot and knows what it takes to win.

Also I'll always route for wade

Kelce suffered his 2nd concussion this year, so it was incredibly iffy for him to make it back next week for NE game.   But man, this really bites.   TEN was awful today, should have been down 21-0 at halftime, the sack-fumble was not reviewable because the refs said forward progress was stopped on a QB standing in the pocket who got rocked.    And then the Mariota pass TD/catch such a fluke play, would have been either a FG or 4th down gamble at the 6.    The key to the loss was not just Kelce's injury, but Andy Reid going into shell mode for both the 2Q and 3Q after going up 14-0 - the only time he let the reins off then was the 2-min drill, which resulted in the 3rd TD.    Mularkey called a really vanilla game, Reid was just that much worse today.  SMH because there is so little shot for either team to beat NE the way both teams played today.

Archived