2017 Postseason Discussion Thread

iLikeDefense

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Those 4 teams are also way more complete than we are.    Phi is great in their OL and front 7 while Min D and skills guys are just deeper overall.   Jax run game and their D just kills it - they pulled 2 4th down mini Rahim Moores with the Bryant and 2nd Brown TD (the last TD was just meaningless).  

On paper ppl are salivating for NE chances but the Jax D matches up really well with NE as they generate front 4 pressure with great CB play.   Our 2015 formula.  Much like our 2015 D Pit might have been the scariest matchup with AB/Bell.   As great as Brady / Gronk are JAX D likely controls them better than having to account for both AB/Bell.   Their run game is way better ...if Fournette is ok.  That’s a huge blow if he’s not 100 percent for next week.   The X factor is Bortles - not accurate at all and used to make boneheaded plays.   Now he’s smarter but just not accurate at all.   He has to account for at least 2 scores with his legs and/or arm (plus Fournette output) for Jax to win IMO   

Min-Phi should be great if ppl love D.   In the end it probably boils down to which QB makes the most plays and avoids awful mistakes (that earlier 2H pick almost doomed Min if they had lost that would have been called the turning point).  

I just have little faith in the Jags. They are too young. That was such a bone headed taunting penalty on Telvin Smith that got Pitt back into the game.

Bortles I'm less worried about he played very well today converting 3rd downs. Easy passes, running, getting rid of the ball when pressured. I think he's being underrated next week will be biblical.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I just think its funny 3 out of the 4 teams left adopted Denvers 2015 mantra and they have amazing front 7's and defenses. We get that along with a qb and we're in great shape.

It is funny. Just a point of fact for those thinking a top 5 draft pick at QB is a good idea. The QB's remaining in the tournament are Brady (6th rd), Keenum (undrafted), Foles (3rd rd), and Bortles (3rd pick in the first).

For those advocating and espousing that it's a QB driven league, it's not. It's a team driven league. No post season could do a better job of emphasizing that.

39 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

It is funny. Just a point of fact for those thinking a top 5 draft pick at QB is a good idea. The QB's remaining in the tournament are Brady (6th rd), Keenum (undrafted), Foles (3rd rd), and Bortles (3rd pick in the first).

For those advocating and espousing that it's a QB driven league, it's not. It's a team driven league. No post season could do a better job of emphasizing that.

I think this  postseason is the exception not the norm. And wentz put the  eagles in that great homefield advantage. He was the catylst along with coaching and that front 7. I'm all for upgrading front 7 whenever possible. 

I have a question apparently if a qb escapes the pocket any contact is allowed shocked more defenses and offenses dont take advantage of this unless I'm wrong on the rule.

Great games all weekend really, save the Tennessee-New England game which I think went exactly as expected.

What was by far the most puzzling thing to me, maybe the most puzzling thing I've seen all season, was Tomlin's decision to try the on-sides kick. They had two timeouts plus the two minute warning. I think you kick it deep and try your best to force a three-and-out, then you get the ball in better field position and let Ben work his magic. Even a field goal ties it and you live to fight in overtime. Rolling the dice on a on-sides kick was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen by a coach whose normally pretty good. 

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Great games all weekend really, save the Tennessee-New England game which I think went exactly as expected.

What was by far the most puzzling thing to me, maybe the most puzzling thing I've seen all season, was Tomlin's decision to try the on-sides kick. They had two timeouts plus the two minute warning. I think you kick it deep and try your best to force a three-and-out, then you get the ball in better field position and let Ben work his magic. Even a field goal ties it and you live to fight in overtime. Rolling the dice on a on-sides kick was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen by a coach whose normally pretty good. 

He was bad all game.  Not settling for field goals early, not having his d prepared.  They were soft.

3 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

I’m puzzled Tomlin still has a job. 

That NO vs Minny game was too much. Broke my heart lol

The Steelers stick with their coaches through the thick and thin. I don’t think there’s really anyone better than Tomlin out there. 

4 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

The Steelers stick with their coaches through the thick and thin. I don’t think there’s really anyone better than Tomlin out there. 

Todd Haley as OC might be done though.  Which would be a blessing for them.  His play calling yesterday on 4th down was a mess.  AB just bailed him out on 1 but those 2 other missed 4th and inches were brutal.  

And he’s guilty of stuff like that increasingly which apparently has more of a rift with the players.   Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets canned. 

15 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Agreed. There's no better alternate for Tomlin for sure. I agree it wasn't his best coaching job, but he's about as good a coach as there is in this league.

On 1/15/2018 at 12:13 AM, thebestever6 said:

I think this  postseason is the exception not the norm. And wentz put the  eagles in that great homefield advantage. He was the catylst along with coaching and that front 7. I'm all for upgrading front 7 whenever possible. 

I have a question apparently if a qb escapes the pocket any contact is allowed shocked more defenses and offenses dont take advantage of this unless I'm wrong on the rule.

What about two years ago, when Manning wasn't that great? AKRNA is right that it's about team. The QB-driven league rhetoric is a team killer, in my opinion. It makes idiot GM's take QB's in the first round that usually have no business being drafted in that spot because they "need a QB".

20 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

What about two years ago, when Manning wasn't that great? AKRNA is right that it's about team. The QB-driven league rhetoric is a team killer, in my opinion. It makes idiot GM's take QB's in the first round that usually have no business being drafted in that spot because they "need a QB".

Lets go back to 97 when we won.

97) Elway HOF

98) Elway HOF

99) Warner HOF

00) Dilfer Exception

01) Brady _ HOF

02) Johnson - Exception

03) Brady HOF

04) Brady - HOF

05- Manning HOF

06- Big Ben - HOF

07- Manning- borderline HOF

08- Big Ben- HOF

09- Brees HOF

10- Rodgers HOF

11) Manning Borderline HOF

12) Flacco- all time great post season run.

13) Wilson HOF

14) Brady - HOF

15) Manning HOF made key plays and put team in great plays even if zombie manning.

16) Brady - HOF

See a trend. 

20 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

97) Elway HOF

98) Elway HOF

99) Warner HOF

00) Dilfer Exception

01) Brady _ HOF

02) Johnson - Exception

03) Brady HOF

04) Brady - HOF

05- Manning HOF

06- Big Ben - HOF

08- Big Ben- HOF

09- Brees HOF

10- Rodgers HOF

13) Wilson HOF

14) Brady - HOF

15) Manning HOF made key plays and put team in great plays even if zombie manning.

16) Brady - HOF

See a trend. 

So, make the same list but use defensive stats. List the RB's, OL's. The teams were loaded. Always good if not great defenses.

Elway finally had a D, great OL, TE, WR's and RB. That was one hell of a team. Balanced on both sides of the ball and a great O. Brady wasn't more than a manager his first couple of SB's. The list goes on.

IMO you're looking at QB or RB in a vacuum. That's a bit of an inaccurate approach don't you think?

44 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

97) Elway HOF

98) Elway HOF

99) Warner HOF

00) Dilfer Exception

01) Brady _ HOF

02) Johnson - Exception

03) Brady HOF

04) Brady - HOF

05- Manning HOF

06- Big Ben - HOF

08- Big Ben- HOF

09- Brees HOF

10- Rodgers HOF

13) Wilson HOF

14) Brady - HOF

16) Brady - HOF

See a trend. 

You can even go back further than that and list Favre, Aikman, Young, Montana. It’s always been a QB driven league, at least since the mid-1980s. 

Archived