The Tottenham Hotspur thread - London's best.

kempus

8 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Spurs linked with £30m move for Jamaal Lascelles.

Slow news day I guess.

Can't see us moving for a CB, even with Tobys inevitable departure. We have Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier and possibly Carter-Vickers. That's enough, imo.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, kempus said:

8 consecutive FA Cup Semi final losses. That's beyond cruel. We have no winners. It's a massive problem.

One thing I have kind of worried about for Spurs for a while now is that they're going to end up similar to Liverpool during the Brendan Rodgers era in particular, and even the twilight of the Daglish era, wherein the English media blow so much smoke (some of it deserved, so of it not - the kind that makes them seem incapable of criticism) up the backsides of their players (particularly the English ones) that the complacency to rest on individual laurels and media praise sets in and/or the players get such inflated opinions of themselves that they're willing to try and force their way out at the first sign of prostrating from mega-name clubs (even the domestic ones).

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

One thing I have kind of worried about for Spurs for a while now is that they're going to end up similar to Liverpool during the Brendan Rodgers era in particular, and even the twilight of the Daglish era, wherein the English media blow so much smoke (some of it deserved, so of it not - the kind that makes them seem incapable of criticism) up the backsides of their players (particularly the English ones) that the complacency to rest on individual laurels and media praise sets in and/or the players get such inflated opinions of themselves that they're willing to try and force their way out at the first sign of prostrating from mega-name clubs (even the domestic ones).

This and more likely next summer, we will find out. This summer we're protected by the prospect of playing in the new stadium. I imagine that will be pretty appealing to a number of the players. But, next summer is open season. If we haven't won something by then, I can see a number of the players leaving. 

Even then, it may start this summer with Alderweireld almost certainly going and both Dembele and Rose being rumoured to want out. We will see. I think it's going to be a crucial summer where it's invest or bust for Levy. 

5 hours ago, kempus said:

This and more likely next summer, we will find out. This summer we're protected by the prospect of playing in the new stadium. I imagine that will be pretty appealing to a number of the players. But, next summer is open season. If we haven't won something by then, I can see a number of the players leaving. 

Even then, it may start this summer with Alderweireld almost certainly going and both Dembele and Rose being rumoured to want out. We will see. I think it's going to be a crucial summer where it's invest or bust for Levy. 

I definitely agree Spurs are running out of time to win something to prove to the players that they can win something at the club. Spurs have been brilliant for quite some time but they'll lose some of their star players if the can't get over the line. I'm not sure I necessarily agree that it has anything to do with the media or over inflated egos but players might want to find greener pastures with a better chance of silverware and higher wages. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

I definitely agree Spurs are running out of time to win something to prove to the players that they can win something at the club. Spurs have been brilliant for quite some time but they'll lose some of their star players if the can't get over the line. I'm not sure I necessarily agree that it has anything to do with the media or over inflated egos but players might want to find greener pastures with a better chance of silverware and higher wages. 

Yeah, I dont think it's media related. But, we've seen players want to move to greener pastures many times before. Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale and Walker, last season. I don't blame any of them to be honest. Just as I wouldn't blame any of the current crop for wanting better wages and a better chance of silverware. I think next season will define Poch and this current group of Spurs players. We either get over the line or we dont. If we don't, we will lose at least a couple of star players, imo. Probably Poch, too.

12 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

When I talk about the media I refer more to them (and it's certainly possible that the media outside the UK - where I know that even in London there's still effectively United and then everyone else as far as the narrative goes) crowning Spurs before they've actually gone and done the deed - and having not learned their lesson in the past because they did this with Arsenal in the late single-digit years of the 2000's and again with Liverpool under BR.  It's likely no more than clickbait, sensationalism media, but it has to have some sort of knock-on effect on the players, and we know that it does with influencing the opinions of fans and thus affecting gates, etc.

Not that Tottenham haven't earned their share of praise, but I do believe they've been spared a certain amount of criticism because they have two of the most exiting players in the English side right now (3 if you count Dier) - this was also notable in the Liverpool side under Rodgers when Sturridge appeared on the rise (and could actually stay healthy) and Sterling was the hot star-in-the-making (nowhere near the accomplishments of Kane and Dele, but the hype was similar and Liverpool had the benefit of also still having Gerrard in the lineup).

• 3 weeks later...

We have limped over the line. It's been painful to watch since we lost to Juve. However, we have achieved our goal of top 4. No mean feat considering we haven't had a home stadium for the entire season. Big achievement and a massive summer ahead.

Also, this is the first time we have been the top club in London since 1994-1995.

On 5/9/2018 at 11:23 PM, kempus said:

We have limped over the line. It's been painful to watch since we lost to Juve. However, we have achieved our goal of top 4. No mean feat considering we haven't had a home stadium for the entire season. Big achievement and a massive summer ahead.

Also, this is the first time we have been the top club in London since 1994-1995.

Finishing third is definitely a pretty huge achievement. Sounds like Poch wants some money to spend on players and it will be interesting to see if Levy bites. Next season should be very interesting, sounds like they might have to play quite a few road games to start the season until the stadium is ready. I think next year is going to be the the year that Spurs have to deliver or the team will start to be dismantled (not by choice). 

4 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Finishing third is definitely a pretty huge achievement. Sounds like Poch wants some money to spend on players and it will be interesting to see if Levy bites. Next season should be very interesting, sounds like they might have to play quite a few road games to start the season until the stadium is ready. I think next year is going to be the the year that Spurs have to deliver or the team will start to be dismantled (not by choice). 

I think Levy has to back Poch this summer. My biggest concern would be Poch leaving. Kane or Eriksen would be incredibly hard to replace, but Poch is the key to it. Vertonghen would be a massive blow too, but nobody else is really irreplaceable.

So glad when Tottenham will move back to White Hart Lane. The train to Wembley is part of my route home and weeknights are ruined by their games!

On a serious note though this is a great opportunity for Spurs, ok they didn't win anything and they dropped a little in the table, but they have a great manager, a great squad and a great new stadium. If they invest wisely this summer they could legitimately challenge City.

I'm delighted we won't be at Wembley any more either. Pretty much every team raised their game 10% due to the fact a lot of players dont get a chance to play there. Finishing 3rd whilst playing an entire season there is a signiticant achievment.

Poch signed a 5 year extension. Lovely. That's out biggest piece of summer business sorted. Now to get to work with some incomings and likeky outgoings. Hopefully extensions for some more of our big players too.

8 hours ago, kempus said:

Poch signed a 5 year extension. Lovely. That's out biggest piece of summer business sorted. Now to get to work with some incomings and likeky outgoings. Hopefully extensions for some more of our big players too.

Sanchez also extended a few weeks ago, he'll turn into a top defender.

• 1 month later...