The Tottenham Hotspur thread - London's best.

kempus

Might as well get this one up and running. Levy coming out in the media and talking about the crazy transfer fees being paid was interesting. There's obviously a reason why he did it. Perhaps to signal to other teams that we won't be bent over a barrel or perhaps to placate some of the Spurs fans, who are rumbling that we haven't signed anyone yet?

It will be interesting to see who we do end up signing. If Levy is true to his word and the transfer funds are separate from the stadium funds, we must have a shed load of money to spend. 

Edited by kempus

Very interesting year coming up for Spurs. 

Two successful seasons, albeit trophyless, and now for the difficult third act. 

With everyone else seemingly in a rush to spend all their wealth it's interesting to see Levy and Poch standing PAT. You have to think they will have a late splurge.

I think this year is going to be a struggle. Moving to Wembley for the year is the biggest challenge. I expect it to be a painful move. We also need to get over that trophy winning hurdle. 

I would consider Champions League qualification along with either the League or FA cup a very successful season. Quarter Finals of the Champions League should also be possible, depending on our draw.

We haven't got worse, but we haven't got better, either. I expect United and City to be much more competitive this sesason. I think Chelsea, City and United will be the top 3 with Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal fighting for the last place.

We will likely do some business towards the end of the window. Not sure how significant or an investment it will be, though.

I think Spurs have been more focused on locking up third young talent as opposed to overpaying for someone else in a transfer. They actually made some money when they shipped off Kyle Walker. 

Ive been enjoying the recent Spurs games. Wish we had a better showing vs Roma. Wasn't a huge fan of the reffing but can't complain because nothing comes from it. Could tell it irritated Poch and the other coaches tho. Playing Man City Saturday. 

10 hours ago, I_GET_SAX said:

I think Spurs have been more focused on locking up third young talent as opposed to overpaying for someone else in a transfer. They actually made some money when they shipped off Kyle Walker. 

Ive been enjoying the recent Spurs games. Wish we had a better showing vs Roma. Wasn't a huge fan of the reffing but can't complain because nothing comes from it. Could tell it irritated Poch and the other coaches tho. Playing Man City Saturday. 

We've been signing our players to extensions for at least a season now. Everyone who we value, is locked up long term. Apart from Toby, who doesn't have as long as would be ideal on his contract.

13 minutes ago, kempus said:

We've been signing our players to extensions for at least a season now. Everyone who we value, is locked up long term. Apart from Toby, who doesn't have as long as would be ideal on his contract.

Apparently he wants parity with Harry Kane, which simply isn't sustainable under the current model.

12 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Apparently he wants parity with Harry Kane, which simply isn't sustainable under the current model.

He's worth it, imo. Probably the best CB in the league, he would be ridiculously hard to replace.

3 minutes ago, kempus said:

He's worth it, imo. Probably the best CB in the league, he would be ridiculously hard to replace.

But this is Daniel Levy we are talking about. It also sets somewhat of a precedent for future contract negotiations.

If I was a Spurs fan I would trust Pochettino to find a suitable replacement.

Are there any youth players possibly breaking through any time soon?

16 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

But this is Daniel Levy we are talking about. It also sets somewhat of a precedent for future contract negotiations.

If I was a Spurs fan I would trust Pochettino to find a suitable replacement.

Are there any youth players possibly breaking through any time soon?

True enough. We're going to have to break that wage structure soon enough, though. Probably as early as next season. Outside of Kane, Toby is our best player. It would be very difficult for Spurs fans to accept losing him.

Carter-Vickers has been hyped up a lot, but I'm not sure he's ready yet. CB is probably one of the toughest positions to find in todays market.

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

I think he needs some experience out on loan before a proper judgement can be made.

I think Mangala might be available :D

He could certainly do with regular game time. I doubt we send him out, though. He will be in the rotation next sesason. If we're playing 3 at the back, we are very thin. Toby, Vertonghen, Dier, Carter-Vickers and Wimmer are our only CBs. If Poch wants to keep that system, I think we need to bring in another guy.

10 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I totally forgot about Wimmer, he barely got a look in last season.

I get the feeling Poch doesn't like him. It's strange because he was really good ,when forced into action, the season before. Wimmer and his agent have come out multiple times and said he wants to leave. I guess Levy is holding out for a big fee.