The Tottenham Hotspur thread - London's best.

kempus

3 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

When does he not lol.

Yeah I seem to remember Wimmer being pretty handy when he first came, I figured he was injured last year, but apparently not at all.

Haha true. Which has both its benefits and negatives.

No injury, Poch just doesn't like him. I expect he will leave this summer.

7 hours ago, I_GET_SAX said:

18 year old winger Marcus Edwards signed a deal through 2020 with Tottenham today. Continuing to worry about their own youth and core right now. 

Great news. He's been hyped as the next big thing for a long time now. Expect him to get game time this year.

1 hour ago, I_GET_SAX said:

Tottenham not having a good showing vs Man City at all, knowing it's a pre season level game I just expected better.

We put a very strong side out, but don't buy anything into it. Pre season results are pretty much irrelevant.

On 7/29/2017 at 9:38 PM, kempus said:

We put a very strong side out, but don't buy anything into it. Pre season results are pretty much irrelevant.

Especially with managers like Conte and Pochettino. They care far less about results in the preseason and far more about putting in the work and getting into condition for a long season. Chelsea has looked like garbage the past two season under Conte, and we all know how well they did last season. I'd have to imagine Pochettino's preseason philosophy is quite similar.

1 hour ago, Imarobot said:

Especially with managers like Conte and Pochettino. They care far less about results in the preseason and far more about putting in the work and getting into condition for a long season. Chelsea has looked like garbage the past two season under Conte, and we all know how well they did last season. I'd have to imagine Pochettino's preseason philosophy is quite similar.

Yeah, it's just about getting the players in the right physical condition. Its nice for the bank balance playing these massive friendlies, but thats about it.

6 minutes ago, I_GET_SAX said:

Does it give him (Poch) an opportunity to tinker and experiment with lineups and formations and player combos or is he set in that regard? 

I think it mostly gives youth players a chance to get experience in the first team and to play with players in the first team who they might not get too much time together with. I can't imagine that Poch will do too much different in terms of tactics but you never know. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

I think it mostly gives youth players a chance to get experience in the first team and to play with players in the first team who they might not get too much time together with. I can't imagine that Poch will do too much different in terms of tactics but you never know. 

Yeah, doubtful he's going to change much going into this season. Poch loves to play the youth players to see if they're good enough to step up. Winks impressed last summer and made it into the 1st team, before his injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kempus said:

Yeah, doubtful he's going to change much going into this season. Poch loves to play the youth players to see if they're good enough to step up. Winks impressed last summer and made it into the 1st team, before his injury.

I'm really excited to see Winks get more playing time, he's a great player to watch and Poch is obviously very high on him. I expect a couple youth players to make the step up this season and get some major minutes. That being said, I kept waiting for Alex Pritchard to break through and that never happened. 

8 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I'm really excited to see Winks get more playing time, he's a great player to watch and Poch is obviously very high on him. I expect a couple youth players to make the step up this season and get some major minutes. That being said, I kept waiting for Alex Pritchard to break through and that never happened. 

Yeah, I expect Winks to have a bigger role this season. The breakthrough candidates are Onomah, Kyle Walker-Peters, Carter-Vickers and possibly Edwards.

12 hours ago, kempus said:

Yeah, I expect Winks to have a bigger role this season. The breakthrough candidates are Onomah, Kyle Walker-Peters, Carter-Vickers and possibly Edwards.

Those are the big names I have heard a lot about but I can't say I've really seen too much of any of them although I was reading an article on Onomah recently and it was very positive. I would think Spurs are going to rotate a bit more this season, especially if they make a deeper CL run than last season. 

I'm still a little shocked that there hasn't been any real activity in the transfer window so far. I really think they should add someone on the wing given Lamela's hip problem. There aren't many holes in the squad but it's a bit thin and I really think they could use a winger who can stretch the field and just offer something a bit different from Eriksen and Alli. 

I think Onomah and KWP will be in the first team squad. 

Yeah, I guess we're just hoping fees will come down later in the window. It depends how Poch wants to play. We didn't play with wingers for 80% of last season. We have N'Koudou who has pace. Dont know if he's good enough, though.

In terms of squad we could do with a CB and striker with pace. RB too if KWP isn't up to scratch.