The Tottenham Hotspur thread - London's best.

kempus

It’s so difficult to convince good players to come and then be on the bench. Then the problems start,’ he says before revealing details of a conversation with Alvaro Morata, who joined Chelsea from Real Madrid last month.

‘Morata said to me, “Why do you want me if you have Harry Kane?”. You know, if you go to try to sign a striker, they will say, “Eh gaffer, you want me for what? To be on the bench? Because it’s Harry Kane, I can’t compete with Harry Kane” or Hugo Lloris or different players.

From an interview with Poch. It's certainly a tough position for us. How do you convice great players to come and sit on the bench? Without paying the ridiculous wages? It's incredibly hard for us to improve the 1st 11.

Morata at £70m would have been ridiculous for a club like Tottenham to be fair.

I would be looking much closer to home.

Joshua King would be a great pickup at 25.

Nathan Ake would have been a great pickup at 22.

Demarai Gray would be a great pickup at 21.

Those 3 would have been great acquisitions for a club like Tottenham. Good enough for depth, but with bags of potential.

9 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I think your first 11 is pretty robust.

Just need to add some quality depth.

I agree. A pacey striker, such as Gray or King, would be ideal. I know we were interested in King earlier in the window. 

Think Spurs could do with an alternative to Dembele, sceptical about whether Winks is the real deal there. Also should still sign a RB to compete with Trippier at least, wouldn't want to rely on Walker-Peters or Dier over longer periods.

Quality alternatives for Eriksen, Dele and Kane would be great too, although I can see why Poch wants to work with the guys he already has for now. Still may be not enough to compete for the league title though.

The problem is that quality alternatives want wages that are too much and don't want to sit on the bench. 

ST and RB, I agree. Unless Poch thinks KWP and Janssen are enough. We have enough in midfield. Dembele is irreplaceable, but we have a lot of guys who can cover there. Wanyama, Dier, Winks, Onomah and Sissoko at a push.

As for attacking players, we have too many, really. Eriksen, Ali, N'Koudou, Lamela, Son, Onomah, Sissoko.

I think we will still see one or two more leave. Most likely Sissoko and Wimmer. Then we will be forced to sign some players.

9 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

come on now behave

He can play there. I didn't say he would play well xD

The point is, I think another CM would be redundant because we have a lot of cover there. Hell, Alli and Eriksen can play CM if they really have to. We are likely to have 2 starting CMs, with 2 back ups and a youth player to cover. So, Wanyama and Dembele. With Winks and Dier and cover and Onomah as the youth player.

11 hours ago, kempus said:

The problem is that quality alternatives want wages that are too much and don't want to sit on the bench. 

ST and RB, I agree. Unless Poch thinks KWP and Janssen are enough. We have enough in midfield. Dembele is irreplaceable, but we have a lot of guys who can cover there. Wanyama, Dier, Winks, Onomah and Sissoko at a push.

As for attacking players, we have too many, really. Eriksen, Ali, N'Koudou, Lamela, Son, Onomah, Sissoko.

I think we will still see one or two more leave. Most likely Sissoko and Wimmer. Then we will be forced to sign some players.

You do have a lot of attacking players, but there's quite a drop in quality after Eriksen and Dele. Son had a great season but I think there are better fits for the 3-4-3. That's the thing: The squad really looks good. But quality could still be higher and should be, if Spurs want to win the league. I get that this is quite difficult to accomplish and that Poch wants to work with the young players and improve them, that's perfectly fine.

The same thing with Dembele: I don't really see a good alternative for him. Yes, you can play Dele there but it's not ideal and he is far better closer to the goal. A Dier-Wanyama midfield has obvious flaws going forward and as I've said, I'm not sure about Winks. Could prove me totally wrong this season though.

And I really hope Wimmer finally leaves, as much as like him being at Spurs it makes no sense for him if he doesn't play at all.

30 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Don't like it at all. I guess he wasn't going to get the game time, so they sent him to prove himself. Still a bad decision, imo.

5 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

You do have a lot of attacking players, but there's quite a drop in quality after Eriksen and Dele. Son had a great season but I think there are better fits for the 3-4-3. That's the thing: The squad really looks good. But quality could still be higher and should be, if Spurs want to win the league. I get that this is quite difficult to accomplish and that Poch wants to work with the young players and improve them, that's perfectly fine.

The same thing with Dembele: I don't really see a good alternative for him. Yes, you can play Dele there but it's not ideal and he is far better closer to the goal. A Dier-Wanyama midfield has obvious flaws going forward and as I've said, I'm not sure about Winks. Could prove me totally wrong this season though.

And I really hope Wimmer finally leaves, as much as like him being at Spurs it makes no sense for him if he doesn't play at all.

I agree, Dier and Wanyama isn't ideal and Winks is yet to really prove himself, but what Dembele does is impossible to replicate. Hes that good, when fit. 

Yeah, Wimmer should be allowed to leave. Idk what Poch was doing with him last season.

3 minutes ago, kempus said:

I agree, Dier and Wanyama isn't ideal and Winks is yet to really prove himself, but what Dembele does is impossible to replicate. Hes that good, when fit. 

Yeah, Wimmer should be allowed to leave. Idk what Poch was doing with him last season.

Oh I know how good Dembele is, always wanted him at LFC, big fan of him since Jol put him into CM. Need to have someone who can at least develop into a somewhat similar player or a CM with playmaking qualities. 

3 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Oh I know how good Dembele is, always wanted him at LFC, big fan of him since Jol put him into CM. Need to have someone who can at least develop into a somewhat similar player or a CM with playmaking qualities. 

True, I guess Poch hopes that Winks is that playmaker. 

If Dembele could score, he would be in the conversation for best CM in the world. But, he can't xD