The Tottenham Hotspur thread - London's best.

kempus

I was thinking about some of the crazy fees this summer and looked up exactly how much we paid for our team. It's fairly astonishing.

Lloris - 11.8

Trippier - 3.5

Alderweireld - 11.5

Dier - 4

Vertonghen - 9

Rose - 1

Dembele - 15

Wanyama - 11

Eriksen - 11

Alli - 5

Kane - Free

First team: 82.5 million

We've some more expensive bench players with, Davies 10, Jansen 17, Lamela 30, Son 22, Sissoko 30 and N'Koudou 11. Never the less, that's a very well constructed squad. How much would the first team be worth now? 10x the value?

Edited by kempus

3 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Spurs have certainly reaped the rewards of patience and trust in youth. 

It's funny how they are awful with big money transfers. 

Absolutely awful. Looking at our top 10 transfers paid, its pretty funny.

Sissoko - 30

Lamela - 30

Soldado - 26

Son - 22

Janssen - 17

Paulinho - 17

Modric - 16.5

Bent - 16.5

Dembele - 15

Defoe - 15

Modric and Dembele proved very good value. Son also looks decent. Defoe was also pretty decent in his second spell. Janssen is unproven, but looks rubbish. Lamela could be good if he could ever stay fit, but looks terrible value. Everyone else is a joke. 

The actual result isn't really that much of a concern. Playing Chelsea, first game at Wembley, was always going to be incredibly hard to win. It's a shame that Lloris let in that clanger, but that's Football.

I'm more concerned by how much Davies and Trippier limited out attacking threat. Both are poor going forwards, so the back 3 becomes a back 5 more than it should. Our bench is also very thin. We have very little attacking depth. Son is decent, but Janssen has shown nothing and Sissoko is terrible. We definitely need to buy a few new players, can't rest on our laurels.

Overall, it was a good performance and we were unlucky to lose. If we play like that at Wembley for the rest of the season, theres only a handful of teams who could get a result. Much easier tests will come.

10 hours ago, kempus said:

I'm more concerned by how much Davies and Trippier limited out attacking threat. Both are poor going forwards, so the back 3 becomes a back 5 more than it should. Our bench is also very thin. We have very little attacking depth. Son is decent, but Janssen has shown nothing and Sissoko is terrible. We definitely need to buy a few new players, can't rest on our laurels.

I think that is an interesting comment about Davies and Trippier and I tend to agree. It seemed like last year when they played the fullback on the opposite side who was better going forward got more attention from the defense and left more space for Davies or Trippier and they were more effective. Without that threat from the other fullback teams seem to have an easier time dealing with them. Obviously it's harsh to judge them after a match against one of the best defending sides in the league but I think it could become a bigger problem as the season goes on. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

I think that is an interesting comment about Davies and Trippier and I tend to agree. It seemed like last year when they played the fullback on the opposite side who was better going forward got more attention from the defense and left more space for Davies or Trippier and they were more effective. Without that threat from the other fullback teams seem to have an easier time dealing with them. Obviously it's harsh to judge them after a match against one of the best defending sides in the league but I think it could become a bigger problem as the season goes on. 

Trippier is able to put in a very good cross, on his day. But, Davies is very limited going forwards. It doesn't really matter if we play 4 at the back, but as wing backs they aren't ideal.

Finally made some moves. Sanchez for 38 million pounds and Gazzaniga from Southampton as a backup keeper. Apparently, we're very keen on Aurier, too. As a player, he is awesome. Will be a good signing if Poch can keep him in check.

Really tough Champions League draw, but one that is very exciting. It's why you're in the competition to play games against teams like Real and Dortmund. I think it takes a lot of pressure off us too. Welcoming Bale and Modric back will be cool, too. I think we can make it through the group, but it will be hard.

On August 25, 2017 at 0:36 AM, kempus said:

Carter-Vickers is being loaned out to Sheffiel United. Poch has obviously changed his opinion on loans and wants him and Onomah to get game time. Make sense to me. We have quite a bit of CB depth now.

Great news for the USMNT 

Really terrible result. I have no idea how Spurs didn't get all 3 points. Dominated for 80 minutes then let Burnley back in by playing a ridiculous high line. Trippier was exposed multiple times. Heaton had a great game, but Lloris made a couple of good saves too. 

Poch needs to adapt his tactics to Wembley. He's trying to play the same way as last season and it won't work. Playing at Wembley is going to be a serious struggle. From the TV, the turn out looked poor as well. Disappointing first 3 games of the season and still no win at Wembley.