McCarthy gets 1yr extension through 2019 - Was done during season

deltarich87

4 hours ago, Acrid Josher said:

If we only look at averages: why ever run? Pass YPA is always higher than run YPA.

It's not that Jones didn't get ALL the carries, it's that he didn't get MORE carries.  He was clearly the best running back we had this year. 

On 1/3/2018 at 6:39 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

I just want to know why.  I get pass protection, but when you want to run the ball, and if teams know he's not great in pass protection and he's still rushing for 5.5 yards per carry (not tipping that it's a run enough to slow him down), why not keep running him?

Don't make no damn sense to me. 

To me, it looked like Jones was a bit more of a natural runner. My guess would be that maybe they wanted Williams a bit more in pass pro and/or Jones still wasn't quite 100 percent from his prior in-season injuries so they wanted to limit his exposure in games.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I wonder if was actually MM's desire to only do 1 year. Maybe he wants to move on unless he gets more control over the roster (talent acquisition).

He's a guy with a resume that could dictate a LOT of power on the open market if he wanted to...

I just listened to Murphy again and he said the 1 year extension came from TT and him, not MM. MM has also stated on several occasions he has no interest in having roster responsibility or dual role and he mentioned that again in his presser today. He believes its too much for one guy to handle

TT made it so this year his retirement (or whatever else you want to call it) wouldn't disrupt any coaching changes that MM needed to make. They must have seen the writing on the wall in replacing Capers et. all. 

21 hours ago, incognito_man said:

reminds me of Ryan Grant in his rookie year whose Y/A were higher than his Y/R.

21 hours ago, Acrid Josher said:

Since when are we talking about the Vikings? The context of this discussion is which Packer RB should be run, and if evaluating their relative YPA is a good way to make that decision.

of course it's a good way to evaluate which Packer RB should be run.

The reason to run is that you 

a) don't take sacks

b) Don't have what's essentially a binary outcome of 0 or 15 yards

c) can more easily keep the clock moving

so therefore the averages are lower but the likelihood of getting 2-5 yards is much higher than a pass.

10 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

of course it's a good way to evaluate which Packer RB should be run.

The reason to run is that you 

a) don't take sacks

b) Don't have what's essentially a binary outcome of 0 or 15 yards

c) can more easily keep the clock moving

so therefore the averages are lower but the likelihood of getting 2-5 yards is much higher than a pass.

You're missing the context of this discussion- your reply is in agreement with my argument. The question is whether or not you should run guys with a lower YPC than your top guy. The "why ever run" response was an (admittedly flippant) attempt to show why you need to consider more than raw averages when considering play calls and personnel (because pass YPA are almost always higher than run YPC in todays NFL, yet very few people think you should never run).

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

So I'm out of state, but do listen to some pod casts. Are any of you hearing the rumor that if Ball is hired as GM, that McCarthy may quit? I don't really see it happening, but just wondered what the buzz up in Wisconia was about this. 

Hi TF - yeah that got out there yesterday in some local reporting. None of the persons involved have made any comment about the story (for good reason....) so we'll just have to see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

So I'm out of state, but do listen to some pod casts. Are any of you hearing the rumor that if Ball is hired as GM, that McCarthy may quit? I don't really see it happening, but just wondered what the buzz up in Wisconia was about this. 

Doesnt make sense to me.

Certainly sounds like MM is making hires for his staff currently. Doesn't make sense for Murphy to let him if he thinks MM might walk depending on the GM hire. Doesn't make sense for MM to do it if he thinks he might walk depending on the GM hire.

Archived