Packers extend HC Mike McCarthy through 2019 season

marky mark

Did you listen to the press conference yourself ?

I've listened to it twice and its completely in sync with the previously disclosed plans. Thompson's contract was over after the 2018 season, and at that point, he'd transition into the role of senior advisor. At the end of each season, Murphy and Thompson meet to talk about everything, including after the 2016 season. At that point, it wasn't time yet so they kept the status quo. However,  mid- season of 2017, TT went to Murphy and said he wanted to start the transition this year instead of after 2018. (There are some hints about his health that may have precipitated moving up the transition time frame) 

So Thompson quietly extended McCarthy's deal mid-season as part of initiating the transition plans. Then at the end of this season, they announced it and moved forward with the rest of the program. 

These transition plans have been in place for several years, which is consistent with any winning organization. As a public company there are additional requirements that don't exist for all of the other privately owned teams. When you have a senior management guy reaching 65, that's also prudent business

Simultaneously with the Thompson transition announcement, the President emphatically stated that "McCarthy is our guy."  He also noted that McCarthy would be directly involved in the GM search because they wanted to have the same partnership and fit as Thompson and McCarthy had for over a decade.

Murphy also stated they would they let McCarthy choose a new OC, a new DC and other staff members. If they had any doubts about MM, they wouldn't make any of those moves.

McCarthy isn't going anywhere anytime soon and every comment and action matches up with that reality. We follow this team voraciously, there's a very good chance we know more about the intricacies of the Packers than you do

You are welcome to believe whatever you like, but those are the facts, jack.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, Shanedorf said:

there's a very good chance we know more about the intricacies of the Packers than you do

You are welcome to believe whatever you like, but those are the facts, jack.

Or you're just another person on a football site pushing your opinion. You can push whatever favorable facts you want that support your agenda though. Selectively picked facts are not the truth.

I'm a little shocked. While Brett Hundley likely won't net the Pack 3 1st round picks, he did get rid of most of the dead weight coaches for the Packers, which may prove to be just as useful. 

But what do I know? I'm just another guy on a football site.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:55 PM, Shanedorf said:

McCarthy isn't going anywhere anytime soon and every comment and action matches up with that reality. We follow this team voraciously, there's a very good chance we know more about the intricacies of the Packers than you do

I hear what you are saying and believe you and definitely dont't follow the Packers or story well enough to know much,

but if he isn't going anywhere soon, why did he get only a short extension? What if Rodgers was to go down and it's another poor season?

Do they then maybe think on moving on from MM?

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I hear what you are saying and believe you and definitely dont't follow the Packers or story well enough to know much,

but if he isn't going anywhere soon, why did he get only a short extension? What if Rodgers was to go down and it's another poor season?

I think they gave him a short extension just in case we ended up hiring a GM from outside the organization and the new GM wants to hire his own guy for the HC position.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I think they gave him a short extension just in case we ended up hiring a GM from outside the organization and the new GM wants to hire his own guy for the HC position.

But he said this?

On 1/4/2018 at 9:55 PM, Shanedorf said:

Simultaneously with the Thompson transition announcement, the President emphatically stated that "McCarthy is our guy."  He also noted that McCarthy would be directly involved in the GM search because they wanted to have the same partnership and fit as Thompson and McCarthy had for over a decade.

If he has a part in the hiring, wouldn't he want to hire someone to keep him around?

12 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I suspect the short extension was MM choice. He wanted some leverage in the next GM selection that was planned mid-season. He is the most valuable commodity in GB (similar to BB in NE). Even more than Rodgers (for a few reasons, including career length remaining).

He knows he could dictate terms on an open market to get a very favorable situation, so he is positioning himself with some leverage in the next GM selection.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I suspect the short extension was MM choice. He wanted some leverage in the next GM selection that was planned mid-season. He is the most valuable commodity in GB (similar to BB in NE). Even more than Rodgers (for a few reasons, including career length remaining).

He knows he could dictate terms on an open market to get a very favorable situation, so he is positioning himself with some leverage in the next GM selection.

Makes sense,

Just seems like a pretty big gamble to put on yourself that you can hope injuries don't derail a season again.

I realize getting a new GM of your choice can be a solid thing.

But if he gets a losing season, and a coaches contract is up... unless you are Marvin Lewis, you usually are gone.

MM has established a pretty big resume over the years, so maybe that will save him.

Archived