Cycling Thread: Bernal wins the TDF

kempus

Fuglsang won a pretty dominant Liege-Bastogne-Liege last night. Was a fairly boring race, but worthy winner. He just rode away from everyone else. He deserves the win after how well he has performed in all of the Classics this season.

32 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Gilbert has been world champion as well, hasn't he? 

Yeah, I just looked it up. It was in 2012. Hell of a career. 

It's a real shame that Bernal is out of the Giro. I expect Roglic to steam roll everyone.

Stupid TV people. They put the TDF on NBCSN and the Vuelta on Olympic channel. Where do they put the Giro? No where. Some stages on an Italian channel you have to pay for. Oh but let's show the Tour of California on NBCSN because that is the race that people really want to see.

5 hours ago, mse326 said:

Stupid TV people. They put the TDF on NBCSN and the Vuelta on Olympic channel. Where do they put the Giro? No where. Some stages on an Italian channel you have to pay for. Oh but let's show the Tour of California on NBCSN because that is the race that people really want to see.

To be a bit fair to NBC, no one cares about most cycling events outside the Tour, and even that audience is a thin sliver. Cycling is a niche sport here, and I'm unsure of the economics of it - I think NBC may actually lose money televising cycling. 

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

To be a bit fair to NBC, no one cares about most cycling events outside the Tour, and even that audience is a thin sliver. Cycling is a niche sport here, and I'm unsure of the economics of it - I think NBC may actually lose money televising cycling. 

If they weren't televising the Tour of California I'd get it more. But they have decided that is more important than the Giro.

But I'd also point out the Olympic Channel is specifically for that stuff. More people watch cycling than other stuff they put on there.

• 4 weeks later...

Froome out of the TdF with a fractured elbow, femur, and ribs after crashing at the Criterium du Dauphine.

So Geraint Thomas becomes the lead dog at Sky/Ineos, and has as good a shot as anyone at winning. Plus he has Bernal in support, so Ineos continues with "we have the favourite, and we also have another potential winner as our #2 guy" as a strategy. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Froome out of the TdF with a fractured elbow, femur, and ribs after crashing at the Criterium du Dauphine.

So Geraint Thomas becomes the lead dog at Sky/Ineos, and has as good a shot as anyone at winning. Plus he has Bernal in support, so Ineos continues with "we have the favourite, and we also have another potential winner as our #2 guy" as a strategy. 

Just came in here to post about this. Real shame for the TDF. There seems to have been a lot of injuries to the GT favourites this season. Bernal got injured before the Giro. Dumoulin got hurt during it and is apparently still hurt. Now Froome is presumably done for the season. Big shame.

I think Bernal could win the TDF after Froomes injury. Hes almost certainly going to be given a co leader role with Thomas now. Perhaps Yates or Fuglsang could win it too. I dont see Thomas being able to.

Well that sucks. This is now a pretty wide open race though, so at least is beneficial.

At this point I think the only way Froome comes back is if he is willing not to be the lead in the TDF and instead take team leader in the GTs.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Even wider open now - Dumoulin is out, and Geraint Thomas may or may not be 100% at the start of the race. 

Its Bernals to lose, imo. Thomas is horribly out of form. Fuglsang is probabaly the other favourite due to his form this year. Yates has potential, but I think Bernal wins, baring a crash.