Cycling Thread: Bernal wins the TDF

kempus

4 minutes ago, kempus said:

My guess would be:

TTT: BMC

TT: Froome

RR: Matthews

Sagan is sick, apparently. I think the three favourites for the TTT are Sky, Quick Step and BMC. Froome winning the TT is dependant on how much he has left in the legs. Dumoulin is probably the favourite. He's been preparing for this event for the second half of the season.

That's rough for Sagan I missed that. I know he really wants to win this again especially after his year has gone mainly the TDF DQ. Hopefully he is up to it 8 days from now he's still my pick but guys like Matthews, Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Alaphilippe and Kwiatkowski will all be in the mix as well. 

Im going against Froome just because I don't believe it should be possible he could still have enough to win this. Dumoulin and Tony Martin should be well prepared but rested enough so it was between the two of them for me. 

TTT was tough BMC, Sky and Quickstep all  have great teams like you said and it'll probably be pretty close. Who knows though. 

5 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

That's rough for Sagan I missed that. I know he really wants to win this again especially after his year has gone mainly the TDF DQ. Hopefully he is up to it 8 days from now he's still my pick but guys like Matthews, Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Alaphilippe and Kwiatkowski will all be in the mix as well. 

Im going against Froome just because I don't believe it should be possible he could still have enough to win this. Dumoulin and Tony Martin should be well prepared but rested enough so it was between the two of them for me. 

TTT was tough BMC, Sky and Quickstep all  have great teams like you said and it'll probably be pretty close. Who knows though. 

You think Martin has a shot? I'm still learning riders buy my understanding from stuff I've read is he is a true time trialer and with the climb at the end of this course it pretty much kills any chance he has? Does he have better climbing skills than these writers think or do you think he can enter the climb with enough of a lead to hang on?

5 hours ago, mse326 said:

Is there a reason Kwiatkowski is racing in the ITT? He seems like he'd be one of the favorites if he did. Seems strange for Poland to not enter him.

My guess is hes focusing on the road race and would be highly unlikely to win the ITT anyway. I don't think Martin will be able to contend, due to the incline. He's also looked poor this season. Dennis is a wild card in there.

51 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Team Sunweb in a slight surprise wins it and also won the women's. That's a damn good result for them. 

Yup. That route broke every team but them. They kept 6 right to the end which is really impressive. Bit of a shame that Thomas still isn't at full health for Sky that is what ruined there chances.

12 hours ago, mse326 said:

Yup. That route broke every team but them. They kept 6 right to the end which is really impressive. Bit of a shame that Thomas still isn't at full health for Sky that is what ruined there chances.

Yea they were fantastic that was an incredible ride to keep them all for that long. Sky started off so quick I thought they would be the team to beat it really is a shame about Thomas. 

And yea if Sunweb can take the ITT and RR  perhaps along with the women's ITT and RR that would be something I have no idea who the top women's riders are I very well could have watched the women's TTT I was going to but I just watched NFL Network early pregame stuff. 

5 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Yea they were fantastic that was an incredible ride to keep them all for that long. Sky started off so quick I thought they would be the team to beat it really is a shame about Thomas. 

And yea if Sunweb can take the ITT and RR  perhaps along with the women's ITT and RR that would be something I have no idea who the top women's riders are I very well could have watched the women's TTT I was going to but I just watched NFL Network early pregame stuff. 

Sunweb seems to be have a great year. People talk about Sky buy Sunweb really is brining it. Dumoulin wins the Giro, Matthews points at the TDF, Barguil the king of the mountains at TDF, Kelderman had a great ride at the Vuelta just missing the podium. Now they get World TTT and likely get ITT as well. I know they don't have depth so they don't have the more minor stage races or any classics, but they really have had a great year.

Sunweb has definitely had a superb year, regardless of what happens at the Worlds. 

I just watched Slaying the Badger. Great documentary. I have never liked LeMond, he always comes across as a loud mouth, conceited douchebag. The documentary didn't change my opinion on that. Great story, though.

ITT went more or less as expected. The rain kind of sucked especially for Dennis. Had a good shot at podium without the crash. Dumoulin just destroyed everyone though. Froom getting bronze after racing TDF and Vuelta is really impressive. Happy the decision whether to change bikes or not didn't effect the podium.

And Moscon looked great too though maybe went out a bit fast. Given how he road in the mountains at the Vuelta he is a future GC contender. If Sky can keep him then he seems like a perfectly adequate replacement for Froome in a couple years to take their mantle unless they are dead set on their leader being British.

And Dumoulin really looks to be a threat to Froome at next years TDF unless he chickens out and goes Giro again.

6 hours ago, mse326 said:

And Dumoulin really looks to be a threat to Froome at next years TDF unless he chickens out and goes Giro again.

Dumoulin crushed it, no doubt. I would agree that he is a GC threat, too. But, this TT should be put into context. A large portion of the field have raced the TDF and or the Vuelta, which Dumoulin didn't. Since the Giro, Dumoulin has almost exclusively been preparing for the Worlds. He should have a lot left in him compared to the rest of the field.

That was a fantastic TT. Loved that course. TD absolutely killed it as @kempus point out he probably should have he was the overwhelming favourite and took off the TDF and Vuelta but still it was fantastic. 

Roglic did very well I think he was the only one who finished in the top 10 aside from Kelderman to do the bike change. 

Bad luck for Dennis, Bodnar, Gougeard and a few other challengers. 

Very strong performances from Tony Martin, Moscon, Oliveira and Roache they all out did themselves.