Cycling Thread: Bernal wins the TDF

kempus

Just doing some reading on history. Why are so many people saying the doping will hurt Froome's legacy when it doesn't seem to come up at all when talking about Merckx or Coppi or Anquetil, etc. And I guess similarly why then do we ignore Lance? Seems to be picking and choosing here that doesn't make sense.

7 hours ago, mse326 said:

Just doing some reading on history. Why are so many people saying the doping will hurt Froome's legacy when it doesn't seem to come up at all when talking about Merckx or Coppi or Anquetil, etc. And I guess similarly why then do we ignore Lance? Seems to be picking and choosing here that doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I really don't get it either. People seem to forget Contador doped too. I can see why Armstrong gets that treatment, but idk why Froome would. He and Sky just generally seem to be disliked.

4 hours ago, kempus said:

I can see why Armstrong gets that treatment

Why? Is it about the way he tried to destroy everyone that came after him or was there actually something different with the way he doped that makes it rise to a higher level.

If the former that makes him an *** but I don't see how that has bearing on his abilities as a cyclist.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

Why? Is it about the way he tried to destroy everyone that came after him or was there actually something different with the way he doped that makes it rise to a higher level.

If the former that makes him an *** but I don't see how that has bearing on his abilities as a cyclist.

It was the systematic cheating that the entire team was forced to participate in. It was also over many, many years. Armstrong is also the individual that plunged the cycling world into crisis, hence why the UCI has tried to erase him from history. 

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, kempus said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/44679483

"Chris Froome's anti-doping case has been dropped by cycling's world governing body, the UCI."

I'm absolutely delighted about this. Justice has been served. Now, go and destroy all of those people who have been slating you over this, at the TDF.

I'm still not buying his or Wiggins or any riders excuses tbh.

But if he's been found innocent let him race.

22 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I'm still not buying his or Wiggins or any riders excuses tbh.

But if he's been found innocent let him race.

He's taking a legal drug that doesn't even require a TUE. He was 19% above the threshold and showed nothing else in the 20 other tests he undertook during the race. The science says he did nothing wrong and this non case should be entirely forgotten tbh. However, people will still hang it on him simply because they don't like him and the history of cycling.

1 hour ago, kempus said:

He's taking a legal drug that doesn't even require a TUE. He was 19% above the threshold and showed nothing else in the 20 other tests he undertook during the race. The science says he did nothing wrong and this non case should be entirely forgotten tbh. However, people will still hang it on him simply because they don't like him and the history of cycling.

I have no problem with Froome.

I have a problem with cycling, the whole debacle with Sky and the "jiffy bag" makes me question everything they say or do, rightly or wrongly.

I still love watching cycling, but it's tainted.

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

I have no problem with Froome.

I have a problem with cycling, the whole debacle with Sky and the "jiffy bag" makes me question everything they say or do, rightly or wrongly.

I still love watching cycling, but it's tainted.

Yeah, I wasnt really directing that at you. It's just a fair statement to say that Froome may be the least appreciate sporting great, representing Britain, ever. He gets no respect at all, for a number of reasons. 

Its also fair to question the legitimacy of cycling. I do the same whenever I watch any kind of track and field event. 

On 7/2/2018 at 6:42 AM, kempus said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/44679483

"Chris Froome's anti-doping case has been dropped by cycling's world governing body, the UCI."

I'm absolutely delighted about this. Justice has been served. Now, go and destroy all of those people who have been slating you over this, at the TDF.

Really wasn't expecting this to be the result, and definitely not now. I thought after the Tour.

I thought they would say it's unclear but no intent so 6 month ban backdated to the Vuelta so he'd lose that but keep the Giro.

I wonder what convinced them, that seems hard to do.

19 hours ago, mse326 said:

Really wasn't expecting this to be the result, and definitely not now. I thought after the Tour.

I thought they would say it's unclear but no intent so 6 month ban backdated to the Vuelta so he'd lose that but keep the Giro.

I wonder what convinced them, that seems hard to do.

For the integrity of the Cycling calendars biggest event, it had to be sorted before Friday. Also, it's ridiculous that it took that long to come to a conclusion anyway.

10 hours ago, kempus said:

For the integrity of the Cycling calendars biggest event, it had to be sorted before Friday. Also, it's ridiculous that it took that long to come to a conclusion anyway.

From what I've read the only reason they pushed to get the decision out was because the ASO was trying to ban Froome from racing. If they hadn't it would have dragged on longer.

10 hours ago, kempus said:

Turned out to be a crazy GC day on the first day of that Tour. Froome, Porte and Quintana were the big loosers. The first week is always dangerous, but not usually the first day. 

Yeah, that was a surprise. But I expect Froome and Porte will be right back with the other GC contenders by the end of the TTT. I have no idea how Movistar will fair there. Quintana certainly isn't a good time trialist individually but maybe the team can help him along, but I'm not optimistic.

18 hours ago, mse326 said:

Yeah, that was a surprise. But I expect Froome and Porte will be right back with the other GC contenders by the end of the TTT. I have no idea how Movistar will fair there. Quintana certainly isn't a good time trialist individually but maybe the team can help him along, but I'm not optimistic.

Yeah, it shouldn't be too damaging to Froome and Porte. We will see in the TTT today.